PDA

View Full Version : indoors or outdoors???

Zippy
08-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Do you let your cats outside?
I don't.It is to deadly.All cats should be indoors IMO.

Roxyluvsme13
08-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Both of my girls stay indoors.

chocolatepuppy
08-07-2006, 07:51 PM
My cats are indoor only. I could never take the worry of them being outside.

Zippy
08-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Both of my girls stay indoors.

I thought you only had one cat Skye :confused:

Pam
08-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Inside only!

Danegirl2208
08-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Raven stays inside only, theres too many things that i worry about, we have non cat friendly dogs all around us plus we dont live far from a busy street.. so she stays inside..i do let her out though now and then, but supervised.

sammy101
08-07-2006, 08:41 PM
my RB girls were allowed outside.I honestly dont see a problem with it,thats just my opinion.
I picked the wrong poll option :o

bckrazy
08-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Lola is indoors. She goes outside with us when we're outside, and she just hangs out with us.

I have no problems with outdoor cats, IF they stay in your yard! It is very annoying having my cat, who stays in my yard, being harassed by strange cats... and having to worry about my dogs chasing & scaring neighbors cats that have free roam of everyone's yard. Not to mention how rude it is to allow them to crap everywhere in the neighborhood.

luvofallhorses
08-07-2006, 08:46 PM
my kitties are indoor/outdoor. I didn't make them that way, my parents did. If it were my choice, they'd be indoor only. they don't go very far. they both go over to my neighbor's yard or stay on the patio and that's about it. I did see Tiger crossing the street back home last night when I called for him. :rolleyes: but they come when I call them which is good. :)

The Cat Factory
08-07-2006, 09:10 PM
My three are indoor only.

Sevaede
08-07-2006, 09:21 PM
My cats are indoor only. We live right next to a busy highway and a busy street is on the other sides.

Too many things die around her.

critter crazy
08-07-2006, 09:23 PM
I love my cats to be indoors!! but my hubby likes them out!! grrrr....The only cats i would have outdoors are maybe stricktly barn cats, but i am not sure if i would even like that!

BitsyNaceyDog
08-08-2006, 07:58 AM
My cats are inside only cats. I wouldn't have it any other way.

My RB cat, Scampers, was an outside cat, but we didn't want her to be. She was my husbands cat before we got married. When my husband was a kid his parents when through some rough times and they moved in with his Aunt, Scampers had to stay else where and she became an outside cat. A few years later his parents got their own house again and they got Scampers back, but by then she was used to being an outside can and she preferred it that way. When my husband and I got married we took Scampers and once again tried to make her an inside cat, but she wouldn't have it. She was older though and she didn't go too far, she stayed between our backyard and the neighbors backyard. She came in at night though.

k9krazee
08-08-2006, 08:53 AM
My cats are indoor/outdoor cats, but definately not my choice. We tried when they were younger to keep them in, but they fight and fight to get out. They stay in the yard for the most part and they do come in at night.

I know the dangers of outdoor cats all too well :( I lost my Jewels many years ago, she ate some Ivy that the neighbors had in their yard and died and my cat Lucky was just hit by a car last year :( If it were up to me we'd only have indoor only cats...but my parents would rather them be indoor/outdoor...

Miss Z
08-08-2006, 09:02 AM
Both my RB cats were indoors and outdoors. They used to love being outside, chasing each other through the bushes, roaming in the park, I could never have deprived them of that. My cats in the future will continue to be both indoor and outdoor cats.

lv4dogs
08-08-2006, 09:16 AM
My cats are indoors/outdoor cats. They can come & go as they please.

I live in a park, back from the main road, for the most part my cats stay in my yard only, unless something spooks them or the like. I respect my neighbors & ask them frequently if my cats are bothering them in any way, they are tested & vaccinated for FIV & LEUK and have the proper flea & HW prevention.
If any of these things were to change I would keep them inside only.

I did try to keep my cats indoors only but they were feral rescues, keeping them inside only is full time chore. lol

Cataholic
08-08-2006, 09:28 AM
Inside only. They do make the break now and then, but, between my screaming, and Jonah's screeching, they return post haste!

Glacier
08-08-2006, 02:06 PM
My cats have a very secure kitty enclosure. It's fenced to the same height as the house roof with a section angle in at the top(to prevent going over should they ever decide to climb). It's blocked off so the dogs can't even see the cat area. It's about the size of an average city backyard. It's the only place they are allowed outside. A cat in any other part of my yard is dead-- something I learned the hard way.

lizbud
08-08-2006, 04:51 PM
I have 5 cats that are indoor only and 2 ferals which live outside. They
do spend evenings inside my garage. All are UTD on meds and spayed and
neutered.I do worry more about the 2 outside,

lute
08-08-2006, 08:59 PM
i would prefer PiddyBob stay in the house, but the parents have allergies. she comes inside when they are gone and when it's cold and hot outside.

sanford8916
08-09-2006, 06:05 AM
Both my cats stay inside. Belle has escaped a couple time. But they are spayed and up to date on all shots! :) When I was growning up we had so many cats over the years but all were outside so we would only have them for a couple years and then never know what happened to them! :(

Randi
08-09-2006, 07:10 AM
My cat, Fister, is mostly indoors now, but I believe that most cats are happier indoors/outdoors, providing the environment is safe. Of course, an outside cat should be up to date with shots, flee treatment etc.

Unfortunately, not many cats have these conditions in a city. :(

Concerning the poop, cats at least cover it up, unlike dogs.

Chilli
08-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Indoor only. No exceptions. :)
I mean, if I had a nice back yard that wasn't easily gotten out of and if we didn't live close to a highway, I wouldn't mind letting them have some outside time supervised. But right now, they don't set foot outside the door.

Suki Wingy
08-12-2006, 11:06 AM
My grandparents cats go outide in the backyard only now because they've been declawed :( and the fence is verticle panneling so they can't get out. They love it there though! Before it was only with a harness. My dad had a Cornish Rex before I was born that he said would walk anywhere with a harness and take in the back of the covered pickup truck. :)

JenBKR
08-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Indoors only. Twice, Belle escaped out the back door when someone didn't close it, but she just sat on the back porch and waited to be let back in. Dum dum (Roscoe) knocked out a hole in the fence in the backyard big enough that they could escape through it, or I may let them in the backyard occasionally....although I seriously doubt it. I'd just worry too much, and they are perfectly happy indoors.

BOBS DAD
08-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Our Sammy (recently Departed) Was An Indoor/outdoor Cat All Her Life - And She Lived To Be 22.

She Really Loved Her Outdoors And Roamed The Oak Forest Behind Us For The Entire Day Coming Home At Night For Dinner. Later On In Her Life She Would Nly Venture A Short Distance Off - Usually Just In Our Upper Back Yard Areas. She Was A Good Girl.

wolf_Q
08-12-2006, 05:30 PM
I don't have a cat but if I did it would be indoors only. I would never let my dogs roam without supervision and that would be the same with a cat as well. The ideal to me would to have a secure outdoor enclosure they could go in.

Shelteez2
08-12-2006, 09:00 PM

Yeah but if you're a gardener then you get to uncover it when you are doing your planting. My mom hates that.

My cats are indoors only. I am all for cat proof enclosures though. :)

KitCat
08-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Cocoa Kitty is allowed on the screened porch. He has never tried to tear the screen or anything. He also is allowed in the yard when I am around. He is pretty good about staying in his territory, and the back yard has a fence. He doesn't climb the fence because he has some old injuries and he doesn't jump very high. Once he snuck out through the front door and went through the gate and stayed in the back yard. If we venture outside the yard he has to have a harness and leash in case there are dogs or something that scares him. That is for his protection, because he usually stays quite close to me and doesn't try to run away.

bckrazy
08-16-2006, 03:11 AM

Yes, cover it up, in my little brother's sandbox. :p

I'm just saying... if I allowed my dogs to freely roam and crap in any neighbors yard, they would yell at me. It's the principle of it, IMO. I really love the neighborhood outdoor cats, but Gonzo *will* chase them and scare them in our yard, even though he wouldn't hurt them. Other dogs, with high drive, won't think twice before killing a cat - it just sucks for the dog owners, the cat, and the cat owners in general, when one lets a cat roam around the suburbs. A friend in my neighborhood who owns a high-drive GSD is afraid to walk her dog around because there are so many cats that approach them and are in extreme danger with a very powerful, provoked GSD, even if he's well-trained and on leash.

I honestly hope that someday, allowing cats to roam suburban/urban areas is looked down upon as much as allowing dogs to roam.

cloverfdx
08-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Yumi cat is allowed to come and go as she pleases, she does not go far and gets locked inside at night. Lute how are your kittens doing?

zoomer
08-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Dwena is an indoor and outdoor cat. She doesn't go outdoors much though, and if she does it's not for long.

I thought you only had one cat Skye :confused:

She just got a new kitty.

dionne
08-18-2006, 02:45 AM
i definetly would have to say indoors. we live in an apartment complex that is relatively quiet, considering it is a college town, and mostly college students live here, but people still like to zoom through here at break neck speeds. ask my sister's cat, RBJasper....RIP sweet kitty. hit by someone at not even 30, (but its only supposed to be 10mph here) who apparently didnt know they hit him. and he suffered a broken back/neck before he passed. :( if you live in a neighborhood or somewhere they can roam free, without worries, then please do, i regret not letting my babies be able to roam and eat grass :( maybe one day i'll move out of the city...

dab_20
08-22-2006, 01:01 AM
Oreo is a barn cat in the summer and indoor cat in the winter. As long as your outdoor cat is fixed and properly cared for, I think it's ok. But I can't stand letting Oreo stay out freezing weather so she is happy to stay inside.