PDA

View Full Version : passing gas?

lv4dogs
08-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Is there anything you can give a dog who has REALLY BAD gas? I don't mean to be gross but Raustyk has REALLY BAD gas ALL day, since I woke up at 5:30 this morning (thats what woke me up, usually I sleep in until about 6:00am). She lets one rip about every 15 minutes, and it's strong enough to clear an aired out room with air freshner, it is very very very very bad smelling. She is acting, eating, drinking, going potty fine, I can't find anything wrong with her besides this gas.

Corinna
08-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Thats a rotty !!! :D Our Nika could clear an room in 30 seconds flat. I never found any thing to work .

luvofallhorses
08-07-2006, 01:27 PM
maybe it's a rottie thing. ;) Jenny is a rottie mix and she passes BAD gas! :rolleyes:

wolfsoul
08-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Try yogurt! :) Supposed to work really well.

lv4dogs
08-07-2006, 01:44 PM

Thank you, I hope it works, I really hope it works. lol

Husky_mom
08-07-2006, 02:05 PM
sorry I just had to laugh........I really hope the yogurt thing works......

I just imagined lady Raustyk walking by.........and then.........pfftt..........LOL like nothing happened.......

sorry again..........

lv4dogs
08-07-2006, 02:13 PM
I just imagined lady Raustyk walking by.........and then.........pfftt..........LOL like nothing happened.......

You imagined right, she acts like nothing happened, except you don't hear a thing. lol There's no warning which makes it worse. lol

Karen
08-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Light a match - it'll burn off the gas!

.sarah
08-07-2006, 02:38 PM
I just read in the other thread that she ate a large venison roast and organs. Has she had it before? If not I would think it's the roast that's giving her the gas. Next time you may want to cut down on the amount you give her.

My dogs get gas when they have a large amount of pork (so now I have the butcher cut the pork roasts in 1/4s instead of giving them a whole one at once). I know the first time I gave them a whole one I figured it was okay, because they'd had pork many times before, and they'd eaten large things like whole chickens. Boy was I wrong! Some of the worst gas and burps I've ever smelt! And it was a rainy night, the power went out, so we decided to go drive around with the dogs to find which power line was down and call the company ... bad idea! They stunk up the car big time!!

So basically I try to prevent gas by knowing what they can and can't handle. "Know thy dog". hehehe

RedyreRotties
08-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Gas-X, or the store brand of it, works great.

I would look for some good digestive enzymes for your dog. That will usually clear up the problem for good.

lute
08-07-2006, 02:57 PM
i need to try these things! Gracie has BAD gas! often times while driving down the road we have to pull over and get out to get fresh air. :o

Karen
08-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Gas can be the result of an allergic reaction to certain foods. Pay attention to what she ate before it happens and cut that out of her diet.

Lady's Human
08-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Sometimes Lady is less than ladylike after dinner...........

Just every once in a while, but she can clear out our living room. :eek: :p

Dorothy39
08-07-2006, 03:09 PM
:D :D We all can relate to the subject of this thread. :D
First, I had to compose myself before submitting a reply. (Ahem)

As Karen noted, Lighting a Match really works wonders!!!

I found, at least with my daughter's German Sheperds, that Beef is a no-no!!!!

I've given them Salmon these past few weeks and it tends to agree with them ( great, because it is expensive and their eyes get real big and glassy when I offer it with their Kibble).

Oh My god Lute, that "pulling over" and Aborting ship, made me laugh so hard!!!!!

If or when my daughter's German Sheperd dogs get the fluffs, I wlll try the Gas X!!!

CathyBogart
08-07-2006, 03:10 PM
If Star is having a 'gassy' day I give her some yogurt or canned pumpkin. It doesn't eliminate the problem entirely, but it helps.

mruffruff
08-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Samson is good for quiet, smelly ones. He gets a tablespoon of plain yogurt every night in his food. Cuts down on occurences and odor.

lv4dogs
08-07-2006, 03:19 PM
I just read in the other thread that she ate a large venison roast and organs. Has she had it before? If not I would think it's the roast that's giving her the gas. Next time you may want to cut down on the amount you give her.

My dogs get gas when they have a large amount of pork (so now I have the butcher cut the pork roasts in 1/4s instead of giving them a whole one at once). I know the first time I gave them a whole one I figured it was okay, because they'd had pork many times before, and they'd eaten large things like whole chickens. Boy was I wrong! Some of the worst gas and burps I've ever smelt! And it was a rainy night, the power went out, so we decided to go drive around with the dogs to find which power line was down and call the company ... bad idea! They stunk up the car big time!!

So basically I try to prevent gas by knowing what they can and can't handle. "Know thy dog". hehehe

Oh yes, she has had those foods before, in fact quite often, at least a few times a week and she's never had a problem before. Yes, they did get a large roast but it was cut into 1/4's so they could all share it so it really wasn't that big of a chunk per dog. She has also had that same amount of those foods before with no ill effects.

MajesticCollies
08-07-2006, 03:24 PM
What ever you do don't light a match but follow her around with a jar and for God sakes conserve gas. its so expensive now days.:D

Dorothy39
08-07-2006, 03:30 PM
What ever you do don't light a match but follow her around with a jar and for God sakes conserve gas. its so expensive now days.:D

STOP IT, MY SIDES HURT ALREADY!!!!! MATCHES :eek: -- I forgot, that man on the movie," The Birds"--I told her to light a match!!! Forgive me!!!! :D :D :D

I am trying to breath , Oh, Pet Talk has its moments!!! ;)

lv4dogs
08-07-2006, 03:35 PM

LMAO :D :D :D

Dorothy39
08-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah, same here!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D , Open up the window, let some air into this room!!!!! "Three Dog NIGHT" lyric!!!!!!!

3 dogs with GAS? Help me Lord, Great thread!!!!! Great moment at Pet Talk!!!!!

chocolatepuppy
08-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Lacey can clear a room now and then, yes that pretty prissy little girl. ;)

Dorothy39
08-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Hence, that great Doggie smile ;)

Oh, that Lacey, she warms my heart !!!!

critter crazy
08-07-2006, 06:03 PM
My Rotti Zues alwyas had bad gas, and he would always leave the room first!!!!! But venison, always causes bad gas!!! We never fed it, becuase of that! Lots of foods cause bad gas, they always have some, but certain foods can make it worse!!!

GreyhoundGirl
08-07-2006, 07:24 PM

Odd. I changed foods to one with yogurt, because I thought it would be easier to digest, and it gave Jen really vile gas. I just get really strong air fresheners ( not the spray kind ) And tie them around my lamp. The heat from the lamp makes them work faster. When possible, I open the windows at night.

Good Luck with the De-Fartitizing ! :rolleyes:

K9karen
08-08-2006, 12:12 AM
Mz Logan doesn't pass gas often, but the first time she did, I swear, she stood up with the most surprised expression you could ever imagine, turned around to look at her butt ("What the..???) took one sniff and RAN out of the room!!! :D :D :D

buttercup132
08-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Tie a airfreshner around her small tail?:)

I have no clue
Rockee has terrible gas sometimes too. Its terrible and the smell dosent go away fast either.

I'll have to try some of the suggestions.

cyber-sibes
08-08-2006, 08:36 AM
digestive enzymes will help alot. Look for them in the pharmacy section - usually come in capsule, empty a couple onto her food.

lv4dogs
08-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I didn't get a chance to try anything because by the time I got the opportunity to get to a store she seemed to have stopped passing gas. Boy oh boy am I glad to have a stink-free dog today, she was killing me yesterday. lol