PDA

View Full Version : Update, integrity check, not just Reuters.....

Lady's Human
08-07-2006, 11:17 AM
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3287774,00.html

Reuters has pulled two photos distributes through the wire services as they were doctored prior to release.

I wonder how many pics get manipulated the we don't know about?

Barbara
08-07-2006, 01:37 PM
That will be a major problem. And what should be allowed? Nobody will object to red eye reduction. But in former times photo manipulation was something dictatorial governments did a lot (like the Russians taking persons out when the guy was persona non grata).

It is normal that magazine cover girls are manipulated these days.

A not so good but very big German newspaper some years ago manipulated a historic picture. It showed our Foreign Department minister when he was a student in a demonstration. And they made it look as if he threw a stone. In this case the old historic pic was available and had been printed often before.

I am concerned very much about these issues as I'm afraid they cannot be solved.

lizbud
08-07-2006, 04:36 PM
I guess we all live in altered realities so much anymore, it's hard to tell
what's real and what's an altered view of life. What's the difference between
and altered photo and an altered & staged "photo op" scene & photo that
politicians use to make a point with voters?

Lady's Human
08-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Photo ops are exactly that, photo ops. Anytime you see a politician in a pic, you have to assume it is staged.

The difference between photo ops and the pics that Reuters pulled is that the photog edited them before submission to Reuters to make the damage look worse than it actually was. Reuters has now pulled ALL of the pics from that photog from it's service.

Dorothy39
08-07-2006, 05:58 PM
The times, they are certainly "changing"--so distressing!!!!

I grew up believing in every word that Walter Cronkite said..., and with a realization of what a "War" looks like in real footage on the news!!!

Ah, the News-----and then, the computer and the Internet---- :(

Great Thread!!!!!

RICHARD
08-08-2006, 02:32 AM
A primer on planes, bombs and missles.

Missiles shot from planes go faster than the planes themselves.

Bombs that fall from planes don't light up.

Missiles shot at planes have fire coming out of the back- and chase the planes.

---------------------------------

I heard that the Hezbollah idiots remain as a 'viable fighting force".

When you have to hide amongst civilians, shoot skyrockets at innocent targets and don't have the bits to engage an real army with real war tactics, you need all the help you can get.

Call in the media and lie your arses off! ;)

AbbyMom
08-08-2006, 12:48 PM
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3287774,00.html

Reuters has pulled two photos distributes through the wire services as they were doctored prior to release.

I wonder how many pics get manipulated the we don't know about?

This is a good question--considering how many scandals there have been recently regarding fiction in the newsreporting (such as USA Today). The editors, though, are responsible for tracking down the facts and checking with those who were interviewed to verify the story.

But how does an editor verify a picture of an instant in time? Since he or she can't, you can assume more will try to deceive.

There are losers in every profession.
:(

Lady's Human
08-11-2006, 02:46 PM
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?c=JPArticle&cid=1154525850241&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

More media organizations caught with their fingers in the cookie jar.........

lizbud
08-16-2006, 12:23 PM
LH , though you might find this interesting. It's everywhere. :eek:

FCC Questions TV Stations on 'Fake News'

By Associated Press
Published August 15, 2006, 4:54 PM CDT

WASHINGTON -- The Federal Communications Commission has mailed letters to the owners of 77 television stations inquiring about their use of video news releases, a type of programming critics refer to as "fake news."

Video news releases are packaged news stories that usually employ actors to portray reporters who are paid by commercial or government groups.

The letters were sparked by allegations that television stations have been airing the videos as part of their news programs without telling viewers who paid for them.

FCC Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein said Tuesday the letters ask station managers for information regarding agreements between the stations and the creators of the news releases. The FCC also asked whether there was any "consideration" given to the stations in return for airing the material.

"You can't tell any more the difference between what's propaganda and what's news," Adelstein said.

The probe was sparked by a study of newsroom use of material provided by public relations firms. The study, entitled "Fake TV News: Widespread and Undisclosed," was compiled by the Center for Media and Democracy, a Wisconsin-based nonprofit organization that monitors the public relations industry.

When stations air video news releases, they are required to disclose to viewers "the nature, source and sponsorship of the material that they are viewing," according to the FCC.

The rules were prompted by payola scandals of the past, in which broadcasters accepted money from companies to hype their products without labeling the effort as advertising.

Diane Farsetta, senior researcher with the Center for Media and Democracy and co-author of the study, said that did not appear to be the case in the study but that "the main reason is economy. These are free stories that are given to stations that are continually under-resourced."

Farsetta said despite the publicity, stations are continuing to air releases without disclosure.

Stations that received the letters have been given 60 days to respond. If the FCC decides they have violated the rules, punishment could include fines or license revocation.

* __

Lady's Human
08-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Liz,

all I have to say to that is Gee, I'm shocked. :rolleyes:

Lady's Human
08-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Well, At least SOMEONE gets to have some fun with this.

Someone took a bunch of the faKed/edited/staged pics and made a video out of them.

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/184421.php