PDA

View Full Version : A question.

ChrisH
08-06-2006, 11:40 AM
How is it the hair that comes off my black cat when I groom her is grey?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Ebby%20Girl%204/IMG_0203.jpg

Even Ebby herself can hardly believe it.
:eek:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Ebby%20Girl%204/IMG_0207-1.jpg

k9krazee
08-06-2006, 12:57 PM
:eek: That pile is huge! You could make a couple more cats with that! :eek:

jenluckenbach
08-06-2006, 01:16 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

All that came out of Ebby??????? WOW!

(and the undercoat, which is that part shedding, is usually lighter colored. If you were to have Ebby shaved, she would be that grey color! )

Prairie Purrs
08-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Goodness! That's a big enough fur pile to deserve a name and its own bed! :eek: Ebby must have a secret identity as a grey cat. :D

catmandu
08-06-2006, 01:33 PM
You could almost stuff a pillow with all that Ebby Fur!
Seeing Ebby so happy makes me miss my Tubby Angel, I am glad the Ebby likes being groomed.
We always love seeing Ebby.

momcat
08-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Hi Gary! I've noticed the same thing with Groucho. For some reason I always thought it was a combination of the dead fur along with the dust and dirt that our kitties pick up during the day from rolling around, playing, and doing kitty things that ultimately settles on their skin.

ChrisH
08-06-2006, 01:44 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

All that came out of Ebby??????? WOW!

It certainly did, and there was/is more to come. My fault, poor girl, for leaving it so long.

(and the undercoat, which is that part shedding, is usually lighter colored. If you were to have Ebby shaved, she would be that grey color! )
Really! She would be a grey cat! Wow.

Randi
08-06-2006, 01:59 PM
That IS a lot ... and I wouldn't have thought the colour would be that different! :eek: I bet she's feeling "lighter" now. :D

I've kept the fur I brushed off of Fister over the years - thought of making a pillow for him. The amount is not much more than what you've got there.

ChrisH
08-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Yes, it is a lot isn't it. Maybe it is because it has been so hot lately. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Smilies/duma07.gif

p.s. Don't know if anyone can see but the white specks are her kitty dandruff. Poor baby, I really must make grooming her a regular thing.

krazyaboutkatz
08-06-2006, 03:19 PM
My RB Pepper's fur was also grey in color when I brushed him. When his bottom and belly were shaved, it grew back a grey color. I asked my vet about it and he said it happens a lot with black cats.

catnapper
08-06-2006, 03:39 PM
You know, I think its because once its out of them, its now a dust bunny.... and dust bunnies can do magical things, and grow to magical proportions. I think its just part of the dust bunny magic! :D

Barbara
08-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Ebby I'm very glad to see you live in silk and brocade- that's where you belong :)
And yes Chris: my friend's Angie's black Persian gets a lion cut in summer and he is all grey when the fur grows again. When in California, Bev (Mango's and Peaches' mom) gave me that wonderful Zoom Groom brush that gets a lot of similar grey underwool out of Tigris. If you could spin it it would make a nice sweater :D

catfamily
08-06-2006, 04:55 PM
WOW! I'm looking at this and looking...and still cannot believe how different it is when it's off her skin(The color).

ChrisH
08-07-2006, 06:11 PM
It's reassuring to know that Ebby is not alone in having a grey undercoat, thanks all. :)

Ebby I'm very glad to see you live in silk and brocade- that's where you belong :)
And yes Chris: my friend's Angie's black Persian gets a lion cut in summer and he is all grey when the fur grows again.
Barbara, it's nice you noticed the silk & brocade. The throw and matching cushions are Thai silk, the jade green and sage green are Chinese silk. Not stylish maybe but I so love the feel of them, and it's a plus that Ebbs looks so good on them! :D
(p.s. the leopard and lion ones are just plain ol cotton but I love them too. :) )

jazzcat
08-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Jazz's undercoat is the same color. It kind of startled me the first time I brushed her.

I do have to say, :eek: WOW :eek: to the amount of hair. I bet Ebby feels a lot lighter now, lol! I'm sure I could get that much off my guys but no one will sit still long enough to let me do it.

Killearn Kitties
08-08-2006, 03:22 AM
:eek: :eek:

That's really interesting, about the undercoat being lighter. I never knew that. That is about the same colour as the hair pile I get from our grey girls.
The cushions and throw are absolutely beautiful!