PDA

View Full Version : Rant I guess?

Muddy4paws
08-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Im actually quite upset about this site lately, This is like my getaway from everday life to come on and see photos of dogs from around the world and talk to people from all over but recently its been like a constant struggle to open a thread without it turning into an argument. I have to admit I've been put off posting quite a bit lately incase I start an arguement and I've never felt that way about this site before it was alway so friendly when I started here :(

Guess its just a rant really, This place used to cheer me up so much and Yes I think I'm addicted! but its changing alot and I dont think I like it too much.. Am I sad for seeing this as a getaway? Dont get me wrong I wont be leaving but I just find it sad when Im down and come on here and feel down still when normally I just find this place so nice to come on :confused:

CagneyDog
08-05-2006, 08:26 PM
I find that these threads usually really add to the stress in the board. I’m hoping that this thread will be an exception.

I too agree, however the best thing I can say is avoid the threads of the posters that you find to be too negative, or too confrontational. If you do this there is no reason that PT will be any added stress. There are few posters that I bypass all the time for this exact reason. PT is an amazing place and it always will be. It’s very easy to take good hearted posts wrong because sometimes you’re not sure of the true expression of the person. This is certainly the downfall of interacting over the internet. Lots of fights have started over this type of situation. The fighting will calm down eventually.

Enjoy the good parts of PT, bypass the bad. If everyone did this, very few threads would be negative.

Dorothy39
08-05-2006, 08:30 PM
First off, I enjoy your signiture.

Pet Talk is a stress reliever. I am addicted as well because this site is so informative, amusing, entertaining, (free) and saves on postage stamps. :D

Consider the subject of each thread you start. Ask yourself, what advice, what response, what sort of knowledge is at my finger tips. There is so very much to learn on this forum. soak it up!!!!!!

I always refer to a quote from a former First Lady, Eleanor Roosevelt:
"No one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

so, just keep that in your hip pocket. It works for me all the time.

Abraham Lincoln once said ,"If you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will"
I dont dare quote to you what Winston Churchill once said!!! :D :D :D Because, it could start an argument!!!!!!!! ;)

set back now, and enjoy your time here at Pet Talk. Seperate the seed from the thresh!!! ;)

RedyreRotties
08-05-2006, 08:35 PM
I love the signature as well.

I visit boards to try to help those who need it, and advise on breeding/training/showing issues.

I can at times have a great negative feel, especially if I'm responding to threads that have to do with irresponsible breeding.

Bottom line, I don't think a forum with the true welfare of dogs at heart can be so restrictive that one cannot express negative sentiments to those who need to hear it.

I do think that just as in training dogs, the negative should be as minimal as possible and as effective as possible when it's necessary.

JMO as always.

Almita
08-05-2006, 08:39 PM
I love the signature as well.

I visit boards to try to help those who need it, and advise on breeding/training/showing issues.

I can at times have a great negative feel, especially if I'm responding to threads that have to do with irresponsible breeding.

Bottom line, I don't think a forum with the true welfare of dogs at heart can be so restrictive that one cannot express negative sentiments to those who need to hear it.

I do think that just as in training dogs, the negative should be as minimal as possible and as effective as possible when it's necessary.

JMO as always.

I agree with you right there. But sometimes i have been seeing a lot of negative and positive things but it has been getting a little over board. Some people i think just misunderstand what other people are trying to say or what the thread is suppose to mean. For me i just try to help them understand what some people are trying to mean or that probably if you go overboard you might hurt someone's feelings. Mostly when i'm not in a good mood/negative mood I would definatley not use all my anger on someone for no reason i would just listen to music or something that would get all my stress out. I see some people are like that on here also.

cyber-sibes
08-05-2006, 09:04 PM
PT seems to go through phases, like everything else. Actually, I like how Paul fixed it so we can see the first line or so when the mouse passes over the thread subject.- cuts down on the time it takes to sort through what I really want to read. There's still alot of interesting stuff posted. If things get ugly, I delete it from my thread list. As they say, "take what you want and leave the rest" :D

Almita
08-05-2006, 09:11 PM
PT seems to go through phases, like everything else. Actually, I like how Paul fixed it so we can see the first line or so when the mouse passes over the thread subject.- cuts down on the time it takes to sort through what I really want to read. There's still alot of interesting stuff posted. If things get ugly, I delete it from my thread list. As they say, "take what you want and leave the rest" :D

I'm with you on that one I love it how Paul fixed it so i can just not deal with it and forget about it.

Alysser
08-05-2006, 09:13 PM
I love your signature as well, and I never knew you had a cat. He/She is beautiful!

I have to agree with you whole-heartedly. I have really been dreading coming on here latley, and posting as well, because every morning when I sign in I always see a new argument starting up in an old argument. I still enjoy this place, but the arguments are quite frequent latley and I really try not to get involved but sometimes, I can't help it because it some things people say really hurt me and I post..Just my two cents, for all its worth. I hope things change soon, or I will be posting less frequently because I can't stand to see such a nice place with great people turn into boards and boards of arguments.

CathyBogart
08-06-2006, 01:47 AM
This board is so much nicer than the other boards I frequent. I got chewed out on another board this week for using newspaper for bedding and feeding the chinchillas calf manna mixed with their regular food.

If I see disagreements like that here, people are generally pretty tactful about it. I do see some tempers running high lately, but it happens sometimes, and it usually dissipates pretty fast.

Muddy4paws
08-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the nice comments on my siggy. He used to be my cat but hes now living the high life at my nans house with 2 other cats and is spoilt rotten :D

I find it hard to butt out of convosations when I feel I can add to what the subject is about but most of the time its just shrugged off or ignored by the posters like recently I went out of my way with a recent situation that happened and the person hasnt bothered to even contact me and I think in that particular situation that if you were genuine then you would want as much help as possible

and I swear to god I didn't want to cause anymore stress to no one so if this is what this thread is doing then I can delete it if its upsetting anyone. :)

Kfamr
08-06-2006, 11:14 AM
I am hoping it all sorts out when kids school starts!

I agree though.. I used to post a lot more.

I_luv_rusty
08-06-2006, 03:14 PM
I am hoping it all sorts out when kids school starts!

I agree though.. I used to post a lot more.

I don't like how you say when kids school starts,because you make it seem like all the kids on this board are doing something wrong :( When you should be refferreing (sp?) to when certain kids school starts. I do hope you were saying it meaning that, not all the kids on this board start trouble, and you mean certain kids. :o

Karen
08-06-2006, 03:47 PM
We do see a change in tenor when school is in session, and when it is not. But we also have individuals who have grown up quite a bit during their time on Pet Talk, so we should all remember we can have a positive influence on people, if we try!

Anyone who sees what they think is unnecessary arguing can always PM me, and I can deal with it behind the scenes. Sometimes I do need to *thump* people. But this IS Pet Talk, and we are all here because we love our pets. Sometimes that's all we have in common, but that IS a pretty important thing that sets this community apart.

And, Muddy4paws, if there are people whose posts consistently get you down, you can use the "ignore feature" and you won't even see them any more.