PDA

View Full Version : Please, some help with the stray cats and neighbors

lady_zana
08-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi:

If anyone knows of any advice, I would be grateful for it.

Here is my problem:
Outside my apartment lives at least 2 stray cats. One had a family but they moved away and dumped him (yes, I know....don't get me started). The other one probably had a home because she's so friendly but I don't know.

I have been feeding them because I can't stand the thought of them going hungry. However, I got a note from a neighbor mentioning that the strays are bothering their cars and if they are our cats to please control them.

They truly aren't our cats but they have no one else to care for them. I called the shelter about them but since one of them is not very friendly, he may not get adopted and may have to be put down.

The note didn't say who it was from but they were not rude at all. It was a very friendly note and I understand what they are saying but I can't explain the situation because I don't know who is having the problem with the cats.

I feel very nervous about the situation because I have anxiety disorder so any advice would be appreciated. I thank you for reading this.

-- Zana

catmandu
08-05-2006, 05:53 PM
I have the same problem, as there are people who dont take care of thier Ctas, and I have set up feeding stations.
I dont know what I would do if the neighbors thought they were my Cats.
Maybe you could expalin why you are feeding those poor Cats, and they would understand.
If the note was friendly, there hope.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cats054.jpg

momcat
08-05-2006, 06:05 PM
First of all, thank you so much for keeping these kitties fed. As for the note from a neighbor, I'm wondering why, if they felt it necessary to say something about this, chose not to sign the note or approach you directly about the "problem". Is there any way of confining them to your yard until a better solution comes along? Is contacting the Humane Society an option for you? I certainly don't want them going to a kill shelter. Are there any rescue groups nearby? I realize these suggestions might be way off base for you. Wish I could be of more help. Please take care of your own self and let us know what happens?

lady_zana
08-07-2006, 03:38 AM
Thank you both for your suggestions. I appreciate you helping me; it means a lot :)

The last time I contacted the Humane Society, they were only taking animals from the county they were located in because they were so overcrowded. (We live in the county next to them.) I will try calling them again and see if they have room for the cats now.

I think everything will be okay. I am going to continue to care for the kitties as long as they are outside so you don't have to worry about that! :) If the neighbors don't like it, then poo! :p

Anyway, thank you both for your advice. It was very helpful to me and made me worry much less. -- Zana

moosmom
08-07-2006, 09:28 AM
the strays are bothering their cars

Zana,

Bothering their cars how?? Revving up the engines and burning rubber in the parking lot??? :p

I admire your spunk. Poo on them is right. These cats wouldn't be strays if it hadn't been for their stupid, irresponsible owners. :mad:

Stick to your guns, girl. The cats need you!!

Killearn Kitties
08-07-2006, 10:55 AM
If you don't know who the note came from, would it be feasible to print a little circular and deliver round some of the close neighbours? You could briefly explain the situation and say you are working to get them placed elsewhere. Maybe that way someone would help you out with them.

Of course you may feel that all that would achieve would be to alert more people to the presence of the cats.

Randi
08-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Ugh, don't you just hate it when people are more concerned their cars than poor homeless kitties! :mad:

I've been dealing with the same problem here. We formed a group who fed the kitties every day, and as the kitties were here before the people who complaned about them, we came to an agreement that they could stay as long as they lived, we had already built houses for them. It's a sad situation though, because you don't want to loose your flat and end up in the street. I don't know whether you live in a house on private property or not, but if you do, it will be easy to keep them there most of the time, if they have what they need concerning a house and food. I don't think they'll wander too far then.

Hopefully there are others living in you area who will support you!

If this is out of the question, I hope you'll find a no kill shelter to take them - or perhaps, get a pictures of them and put them up, who knows, someone might want them. :)

Best of luck!

lady_zana
08-10-2006, 10:01 AM
I would love to post some pictures of them on Pettalk.......I will as soon as I get my camera working again :) One is long-haired and grey; I call her Whey and the other one is solid black. I've been calling him Lord Cattymort. I think I've found a home for him! It depends on if my friend moves to an apartment that allows pets.

Secretly, I think of them as "mine" even though I know they are not. My husband and I are looking for a house so when we move, we'll pack up the strays and take them with us. Then, they'll for sure have a furrever home! But until then, I'm going to wait until the landlord says anything to worry about my neighbors. Besides, the lease doesn't say it's wrong to leave cat food outside your door :)

Thank you all for helping me. That's one of the things I love about Pettalk - all the kind people who go out of their way to help other people and other pets. Thank you; you don't know how much it means to me and how much better it makes me feel to read your advice and to know you all are supporting me.
-- Zana

lady_zana
08-15-2006, 06:15 PM
VERY ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!

I got another note today, telling everyone that if the person who owns the cats don't keep them under control, they will call the animal shelter on them.

I'm very angry over this mostly because it shows me they care more about their car than small homeless animals.

I've called the animal shelter; I'm taking them on Tuesday of next week. I know this is something that has to be done. They won't be homeless any longer and I have been worrying about them getting enough food. I had been planning to take them for some time now; this has finally forced me to move on it.

Still, I can't help but rage that someone people think more of their car than animals.....and I want to say that in the apartment complex here, everyone's car is in the parking lot. I've seen every car here - NONE of them are anything special - no Mustanges, no BMWs, etc.

I believe, since I don't know who has sent the note (though I have an idea), I will send everyone a note saying that I am going to take them to the shelter but will continue to feed them until their apointment day.

I'm sorry for being in such a bad mood but I can't help being angry. I cried for hours today until I finally fell asleep. I swear, I just don't understand some people...... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Zana

Catty1
08-15-2006, 06:50 PM
OMG - would your building manager or landlord have ANY idea who is doing this?

Did you say you were going to be moving and would take them with you?

Or would you be allowed to keep them where you are?

I forget a lot of what you said...but I am glad you put a note under everyone's door.

What cowards - to not talk to you directly. I mean - what harm are the cats doing to a CAR? Muddy footprints?

I would hope someone can foster them til they get a home, with you or someone else.

What is the shelter like where you are?

HUGS HUGS HUGS

lady_zana
08-16-2006, 11:06 AM
This is what the second note said verbatim:

To Whom It May Concern PLEASE keep your cats under control..... I do not appreciate the cat droppings near my door nor the cats on MY CAR or in my yard!!! This is the Second Notice regarding this issue please correct the situation or I will.

And then there is a picture of two dogs in cages with a lady bringing them food. I took that to mean they should call the shelter about having the cats picked up.

The shelter here is pretty nice. They take cats by appointment only so that they never have more than they can adopt out. The only thing is, if it is not possible to adopt a cat out, it has to be put down. The black kitty outside is not very friendly. His owner was an old man who lived alone until he got sick and his children came to take care of him. When he passed away, his children moved his stuff out and left his cat! :mad: :mad: The kitty is friendly to men but doesn't like women much. I'm not sure how he does with kids. I will have to tell the shelter that he needs a home with a man.

I wish I could airmail him to Canada! He'd be a great addition to Gary's Porchies!

We wanted to move and take the cats with us but we haven't been able to find a house we can afford. We're a young couple and we're struggling to save money and I'm trying to find a job but it's really competive right now.

I'm just really angry right now. I just don't understand some people, caring more about their cars than the welfare of an animal....

Thank you for listening; I'm sorry I'm in such a bad mood. Everyone here on Pettalk is great for listening and understanding.

--Zana

lady_zana
08-16-2006, 11:07 AM
HUGS HUGS HUGS

Thank you so much for the HUGS! I could really use them right now! :) :)

lv4dogs
08-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Thank you so much for doing what you could to help out those cute little helpless kitties. You are an angel.

I understand completely where you are coming from. I had the exact same problem with one of my nighbors, except it was my own cat, not a stray. I tried to keep her inside only but she would tear up my screens, break my screan door, do anything & everything she could in her power to get back outside. Thankfully after a few months of non stop hard work I taught her to stay off of the cars. (knock on wood, it's still working for us).

{{hugs}}