PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering at the Animal Shelter

zoomer
08-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Sarah and I are filling out applications to voulenteer at the local animal shelter. We want to sociolize the dogs so they have a better chance to get a home. We went to the shelter today and asked about it, we also looked at the dogs. There were 8 kennels, and at least 1/2 of them were pit bulls. Very nice ones, too. There was one shivering and didn't even listen to his name. Poor guy :( I'm really looking forward to giving these poor dogs (and cats!) some attention.

lisahumphreys882
08-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Good job for volenteering. :D I hope those dogs get homes as well

Almita
08-05-2006, 02:43 PM
I hope you have fun at shelter and maybe you can take care of that poor little guy. Hope the dogs and cats get nice and safe homes!

lute
08-05-2006, 04:00 PM
that is so nice of you girls. i'm sure the animals really like the attention.

luvofallhorses
08-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Good for you guys! :D It's very rewarding and I love it! :D

Zippy
08-05-2006, 05:29 PM
That is great that you guys are voulenteering. :)

MajesticCollies
08-05-2006, 07:58 PM
How rewarding, I myself work through Tri State Collie Rescue. Can't beat helping other animals. But.... Always be safe. When you get home mist your shoes with bleach to protect your own fur babies from possible contraction of Parvo or Bordetella. Be over cautious. It can happen. Had it happen to some of my other volunteer friends. Thanks for helping out!!!

zoomer
08-05-2006, 09:43 PM
We just got $96 worth of toys and bones for the dogs there today, too. Sarah has been saving up for something like that and I chipped in my money. Do you know if shelters accept treats, toys, and bones? Or if they're picky about that?

WarahGirl1995
08-05-2006, 09:55 PM
I hope they will let us give the toys to them Makayla.If they dont what will we do with all those toys,lol

luvofallhorses
08-05-2006, 09:56 PM
We just got $96 worth of toys and bones for the dogs there today, too. Sarah has been saving up for something like that and I chipped in my money. Do you know if shelters accept treats, toys, and bones? Or if they're picky about that?

Of course they would. :) the shelter where I volunteer accepts any and all donations and they are very greatful for it and I am betting that they're the same way. :)

zoomer
08-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Of course they would. :) the shelter where I volunteer accepts any and all donations and they are very greatful for it and I am betting that they're the same way. :)

Okay. Do you think they'll let us give it to the dogs ourselves? And do you know if they'll give them to the person who takes the dog or keep them for the next dog?

zoomer
08-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Bump..

Danegirl2208
08-07-2006, 08:59 PM
good for you guys! Thats great!

Karen
08-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Every shelter probably handles it differently. I am sure if a dog gets very attached to a particular toy, they'll let him take it with him.

luvofallhorses
08-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Okay. Do you think they'll let us give it to the dogs ourselves? And do you know if they'll give them to the person who takes the dog or keep them for the next dog?

well I am assuming yes, just as long as there's one for every dog there to make it fair. :) we don't give the toys to the person who adopts them, we wash the toys and re use them. :)