PDA

View Full Version : It Happened...

areias
08-04-2006, 11:08 PM
...I feel like a horrible person. :( I need to get this off my chest. As some of you probably read, I have been having problems with my neighbors dog digging under our fence. Karen told me to call animal control and make a complaint. Apparantly, after trying to work the problem out with the neighbor and nothing gets done, the next 'step' is to go to a mediation counselor? Therefore there were no formal complaints made, as of yet. I should have pursued this more actively. :(

Well, I got a call at work today...my neighbors dog, diesel, had dug under the fence..and gotten ahold of my puppy, Dallas. Talking bite down, head shake, and somehow managed to drop her in the pool. My young brother and sister witnessed this. Thankfully my mom was just walking to the door to let them in, got the puppy out of the pool and caught diesel and brought him to the neighbors. I left work and came out to check dallas..my mom was so so upset, she wasnt sure what she should do. She had a puncture wound under each armpit, her leg was swollen up, and her stomach seemed swollen (we werent sure if she had any internal damage from the shaking..), so we brought her to the emergency clinic. She cried every time we moved her. Apparantly the wounds are superficial (or should be), and she will be ok once she gets past being sore, as long as a tooth didn't nick the lungs, and they were pretty sure one didn't. We are keeping a 24 hour watch on her though. The bill would have been around $500 if we had xrayed her to make sure. She is really out of it right now, laying on the bed. She has some pain meds and antibiotics that will help her out, but she is in a lot of pain. :( Poor baby...

We called animal control and they met us at the clinic. We gave the info about the dogs and such, and he said that either way if the dog is not tagged/rabies/etc, they will get between a $175-$200 citation..if WE choose to issue a citation on them, it will be another $500. Me and my mom were discussing it, she has until tomorrow to decide, and she is going to talk to the dog owners grandmother (the property owner). I recommended that she give them an ultimatum...pay their citation and our vet bills (our bills came to about $200) or we will issue the full citation, the extra $500. I'm not sure what my mom will do, though. They probably will not take the dog away.

So that was my eventful night, nevermind working two jobs today. I feel so bad for Dallas, she dosen't want to do anything. I am also worried how this will affect her in her mental development..she already dosen't like to go outside very much (which is our biggest challenge in housebreaking her). :( Please send some good thoughts her way...

lisahumphreys882
08-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Aww I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope your puppy is going to be okay.

cyber-sibes
08-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Oh, poor Dallas, will keep sending her prayers and healing vibes. Well, you knew it was just a matter of time, now the next step...I hope your neighbors will take care of your vet bills, but they don't sound like the kind of people that will do that. :( Whatever action you have to take, you know they have forced the issue. if their dog did it once, he could do it again to one of your dogs or someone elses. Very sad. Makes you wonder why some people bother to "have" a dog. I know you want a good outcome for Diesel too, we'll keep paws crossed.

Dorothy39
08-04-2006, 11:26 PM
I have read your thread without commenting, and thus, I feel so sad for this recent assault.

You have been a good neighbor as well and I am sorry that Dallas was insulted. Poor baby!!!

The ultimatum you referred to is fair, considering all that you have communicated to the property owner thus far.So, yes , I would proceed with such a citation as well. You have no choice now.

My thoughts are with you and your Dallas now. I am so sorry you are having to go through such an ordeal with your neighbor's dog and I pray that this inncident is one and final.

zoomer
08-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Poor girl! You should definetley tell the neighbor about it and I think you should have the animal control charge them.

luvofallhorses
08-05-2006, 12:31 AM
poor baby! :( I hope your sweet pup will be okay! I hate people who don't control their dogs! :mad: I also think you should have animal control write them a sitation.

Pembroke_Corgi
08-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Awwww, poor Dallas. It is always difficult when you have next door neighbors who will not listen because it makes life hard. Hopefully they will pay the vet bill and keep their dog restrained in the future. I hope Dallas recovers quickly and forgets about this incident!

Alysser
08-05-2006, 11:23 AM
OMG! That's awful, Poor Dallas, I hope she's ok! I would write the citiation to.

lute
08-05-2006, 04:05 PM
poor Dallas. :( this is a good example of why dogs should be under control.

IRescue452
08-05-2006, 05:57 PM
I'm sorry to read this, but very glad that your mom was there to save Dallas. The heck with citations, they should have to pay your vet bill too. I hope they get the full extent of what can be done.

areias
08-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Dallas is doing much, much better today. Thank you for all the concern...it seems to have helped her! She is still quite sore but she has been running around, too. Can't keep a puppy down for long.

Animal services came out today and talked to us and the neighbor. We found out the reason that andre (the owner) hadn't come over, was that he didn't even know, his grandma had told him that the dog had gotten over again, but not that he did anything to dallas. Apparantly animal services had rang the door bell with a control stick in their hand, and he was very surprised. When he came over, he was very upset-he does care about the dog, I just think he never took dog care basics 101. My mom and him came to an agreement that he would pay the current vet bills and any others if she needs more check ups. If we issued him a citation, the dog would have been taken away. He is going to figure out what to do about the fence (probably concrete the bottom), and until then have the dog chained in the yard. If he ever manages to get over here again, we will have the dog taken away, and he does understand the problem.

RedyreRotties
08-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Is this a Rottweiler?

Do you have photos?

What is your location?

Please PT me, I will help you find someone to take her if its a Rottie.