PDA

View Full Version : my dog takes me for a walk!Help!

cherokee_baby_chey
10-23-2000, 10:48 PM
i have a 7 year old germanshepard/husky mix he was a aboused dog and i try to walk him and he pulls me any way i can get him to walk the right way? any help is greatly apreaciated

KYS
10-23-2000, 11:22 PM
Here are a couple of suggestions for you.

1) obediece training with a good
behavior/obiedence trainer.
2) Try a collar called the Gentle leader
head collar. Your dog might not
take to it, but if he does,
it works like a miracle.
I have a large dog dominant pooch
that can't pull me when he is wearing his.
They have a web site with all
the information. I bought mine
through E-bay auction at
1/2 the cost, but I already new how
to use it.
It is very important that
you put in on your dog properly.
If your dog is real strong, as a
safe guard you can also attach the
leash to a choke chain for back up.
You do not use the gentle leader
like a choke. You simply guide your dog
just like you would a horse wearing a halter.
The dog goes where his nose does.

Good luck. : )

carrie
10-24-2000, 07:22 AM
Hi,
I have never known a dog that this method did not work with. It is excellent as it clearly puts you back in control of the dog as the dominant one in the dogs mind.
Most dogs pull as they are anticipating where they are going and want to get there. The obvious way to stop this is to stop going in that direction. (Be prepared for it to take a little time for the dog to click on to what is happening - another advantage of this method - it gets the dogs brain working. Also you are going to look weird to passers by, normal part of dog training so you will get used to it eventually!) Stop and say,"no". Walk backwards, quickly for about 5 paces patting you thigh and saying the dogs name followed by ,"Heel!" If your dog is already excited by the walk give him a couple of seconds, walk bacwards some more if you have to. As soon as their is no tansion on the lead and you are both facing the same way walk slowly forward again. As soon as he is at the end of the lead repeat the above. The trick is to be consistent, you must do it ALL the time. You may end up going backwards more than forwards at first but as soon as the dog is coming back to heel as soon as you stop add a correction when he begins to pull. This works because to get where he wants to go it is faster to do it your way than to bully and drag you. Your dog will be more aware of you and walks will be much more pleasant, once you get past the looking stupid part! Be consistent and stay calm - you have lost if you lose your temper!

RachelJ
10-24-2000, 08:39 AM
Carrie, I'm a little confused by the above. Do you actually mean "walk backwards" or "turn quickly and go in the opposite direction"? If I would be walking backwards, I don't know how the dog and I could be facing in the same direction as he certainly is not going to walk backwards.

karen israel
10-24-2000, 10:56 AM
The Gentle Leader is safe and effective. I think the theory is the dog's body follows where the head goes, something like that-I know you all will correct me if I'm wrong. My dog hated the restriction so much, (ie I got smarter than him) that he started to walk calmly so he DIDN'T have to wear it. I know people who swear by it, it makes the dog feel secure. Carrie-if the dog is big and powerful how can you walk backwards while it's totally yanking you and you're holding on for dear life? Would you use a treat to call it back? Wouldn't it be a fight to the finish if you start pulling on the leash..you know, dog's front legs go up..you know me, I'm still learning! K

carrie
10-24-2000, 05:35 PM
Yep, I mean walk backwards! Some people use the turn and walk the other way thing but I have found that this just excites an excitable dog further. Walk backwards five paces and stop. Of course the dog will be confused and probably facing the wrong way - this won't matter. Simply wait until the dog is calm, he is used to walking the way you are facing and will sort himself out. If he doesn't and is standing still, facing in either direction, carry on walking normally until he begins to pull again. If you really get in a mess with this try walking backwards and then asking the dog to sit before moving on again.
If the dog presents problems of size and strenghth get him well used to the procedure in a small enclosed space first so he is ready to walk back or use a halti, but do not correct using this. If you use a halti remember that you must react as soon as pressure is put on to it and do not be fooled that the dog is learning anything from the halti.
With young dogs or dogs that have never been taught the meaning of "heel" it is fine to use food to show them what you want them to do. For dogs who will walk perfectly well at training class but not on the street they are showing dominance and food should only be used as a reward when they get it right and not as a bribe.

cherokee_baby_chey
10-25-2000, 10:45 PM
mabey i should put in he was iceolated for 7 years with no human love or affection i dont want to hurt him to get to walk without walking me hes been thure to much trama to be hurt buy chokers my friend got mee this harness wene u walk dog and he pulls it tigtness up but gesh its always tight

carrie
10-26-2000, 08:32 AM
Hi again,
The method I have described in no way causes pain or discomfort to the dog, in fact it was developed to stop people constantly yanking on choke chains and making their dogs oblivious to any but the severest correction.
It is safe, effective, does away with the need for crutches such as harness and halti, increases the dogs concentration and attention and boosts your communication with your dog. The dog learns and uses his brain and respect will also be increased. Pain is in no way inflicted.

ownerof3dogs
10-26-2000, 02:41 PM
I have used the halti on my rotty/borer collie it sort of worked but he hated it so much that he would try and get it off and would smack his head on the pavment and give himself bloody noses. Then when he got used to it he wouldn't do that anymore he just learned how to run backwards and slip it off. then one day i left it out and he chewed it into a million peices. so i guess he didn't like it. ha ha ha

carrie
10-26-2000, 02:51 PM
Not only do some dogs object violently to Haltis they only mask the problem, they don't solve it.

Kristi
10-27-2000, 09:45 PM
I just got new dog who was abused by a man - she spooks every time we meet a new man but loves women - she also wants to take me for a walk - I can't walk that fast and I think she just wants me to go faster - I have been using the simple technique of stopping when she pulls and refusing to move until she slacks off on the leash. I also say "don't pull" when I stop. When she slacks on the leash I say "good girl" and I start moving again. She now knows we are walking to where I can safely let her off the leash and she has time to run at her own pace. I have been doing this less than a week and she's stopped almost completely - don't know whether this will work for you - my previous dogs all wanted to please me and my new Bella seems no exception - she just needs to understand what I want - hope this helps

KYS
10-27-2000, 10:09 PM
I have been using the simple technique of stopping when she pulls and refusing to move until she slacks off on the leash. I also say "don't pull" when I stop. When she slacks on the leash I say "good girl" and I start moving again.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was taught this techique also.
I even read it in one of my dog magazines.
This method worked very well with
one of my dogs. : )

carrie
10-28-2000, 04:17 AM
Hi again,
The method I have described is simply an extension of the stopping technique.

KYS
10-28-2000, 12:13 PM
The Gentle Leader is one of the tools to help making your training easier for a problem dog. You still train your dog while using the tool.
Once you and your dog have mastered
healing etc. you can do away with the Gentle
leader if you wish, or keep on using it.

A method that I learned to help get your dog use to the G.L.
You can use a clicker or praise and treats.
Have a treat handy in your hand by
your chest, so you get your dogs attention while you are walking.
After you walk a few feet and if your dog
is healing and eye contact between you
and your dog has been met,
use the clicker or voice and give a treat/praise.
If your dog is pulling ahead than you just stop walking. (no treat or praise)
Same method as others have mentioned but
you are using tools.
By using this method it keeps the dog
mind off the G.L. and more
on you. The dog also learns that if he
forges ahead of you, he does not get a treat/or praise.
Another suggestion for those using a G.L.
Have a choke chain hooked onto the leash with the G.L. That way
if your dog breaks or slips out of it
you have the choke chain on for back up.

My problem is with aggressive dogs.
I could not walk my young still growing
100lb. aggressive male past other
aggressive dogs.
After the first week of using the Gentle Leader with the clicker/treats method. I am now able to walk with just using the Gentle-Leader. He will cry when we are passing
the aggressive dog but he looks at me
instead of lunging.
Try what ever method works for you and your dog. No way is wrong or right just
so it is humane.

carrie
10-28-2000, 08:07 PM
Hi again,
I know I'm being a pain but if you are using a clicker to obvious good effect while your dog is on the lead then you really don't need it. It is a great tool to use for off lead work, and of course the dog has to know what the clicker means before you do this. But whilst on the lead you are using the clicker as a crutch for yourself rather than a training aid for the dog. That's great if, like you, the handler has enough understanding of dog training to use it properly. But if you know enough to use it to it's full potential on the lead then you really could use real and appropriate praise instead of the clicker. I hope you get what I'm trying to say. You are doing everything right, have a great understanding of your dogs character and should have more confidence in your ability!
That said - if it works for you - top banana! Don't say that the clicker was the difference though - it was you, not the clicker that made the difference.

shais_mom
11-15-2000, 09:40 AM
My greyhound was not a race track dog, so she didn't walk well with the leash. She would literally almost have me airborne down the sidewalk which is no small feat b/c I am not a tiny little thing!!!:-)
I bought a no pull-harness that fits underneath her front legs and when she pulls too tight it gives her pressure and she stops. It took her a couple days to get used to it then she learned that she couldn't take of running. Now she gets SO excited when she sees me get it out, cause she knows she is going somewhere, she jumps and rears back and paws the air!! I also use it when I take her to the pet store to have added control.
I should also add that she came from the humane society and I believe she was abused also but is not afraid of women or men now. I used the harness as a tool and she understands that if she uses it she will get to walk or ride in car.

strawberry_puff13
11-18-2000, 03:28 PM
Our German Sherpherd Maggie always pulls on her leash, but I already know that there's no way you could get a head leash on her!
What are some other methods of training her not to do this?

carrie
11-19-2000, 03:54 AM
Strawberrypuff_13 read the posts above for some ideas. You asked in a different section how to get your dog to be more aggressive - don't! Be thankful you do not have a dog that is pulling you all over the place and is aggressive to people when you can not pull her back (you would not keep your dog for long!). You must have your dog under complete control before anybody would consider even testing her suitability for protection work. Concentrate on finding a training class that will help you control your dog and talk to the other owners there. You will soon realise how lucky you are having a sociable and loving dog. Once you have your dog at heel you will appreciate the admiring glances you get and the positive comments you will recieve.

Jenn
11-19-2000, 05:38 PM
My dog, I mean my 11 month old puppy, Dakota was a SERIOUS puller!!!! She is a Weimaraner full of spunk. About a month ago we tried the gentle leader after having failed with the choke and pinch collars. What a difference! I'm sure soon she'll be able to walk without it. It is the only training tool that has been effective. The first couple of times she did anything to try and get it off, she would even nuzzle to complete strangers to get it off!

Originally posted by cherokee_baby_chey:
i have a 7 year old germanshepard/husky mix he was a aboused dog and i try to walk him and he pulls me any way i can get him to walk the right way? any help is greatly apreaciated

jeenta
12-09-2000, 06:01 AM
Hi!

My family has a dog, an eight month border collie cross named Reggie, that is impossible to walk. The problem is that he is so strong; if I tried to walk backwards when he wants to go forward, I get slammed into the ground. Inside he heels almost perfectly, its only outside that he's a problem.

I've used two methods that keep him from running all over the yard. Sometimes I will just try to turn him, but then he will just keep running in circles and he has come very close to ramming me into trees. The other method that sort of works is telling him to sit when ever he tries to run off, and that also sort of works, except sometimes he won't sit, and then I have to go back to trying to turn him.

Please help - Every time I try to take him out my hands end up red.

Jeenta

AdoreMyDogs
12-09-2000, 07:50 AM
Jeenta,

Put your dog through obedience training. That will surely do the trick, they will teach you how to teach your dog. It's bunches and bunches of fun for not only you but for your dog as well. I don't know how old your dog is, but age should not matter...you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

shais_mom
12-13-2000, 12:12 AM
try a no pull harness my greyhound got so excited when I got her's out. Of course the other day she was in the car with it on and I don't know if it pulled / pinched her but she chewed it apart. I was very surprised.
Now I am ordering a gentle leader for her, hopefully it works as well