PDA

View Full Version : Which dog should I get?

horse_lover
08-02-2006, 11:55 PM
I want to buy A dog but I don't know what kind to get. I don't want a big dog either. I also want a dog that won't be that expensive to buy. Can anyone find a match?

*LabLoverKEB*
08-02-2006, 11:58 PM
Well, I think everyone else would agree... PLEASE GO TO AN ANIMAL SHELTER! AND PLEASE RESEARCH THE BREED YOU ARE GETTING INSIDE, AND OUT! having a dog is A HUGE responsibility, like caring for a child. I REALLY hope you know what you are getting into...
That is all I can say... :confused:

Flatcoatluver
08-03-2006, 12:03 AM
I don't want to be rude, I don't. But to me it sounds like you have not reserched at all. Dogs are a lot of time and a lot of money. If you don't want to spend a lot of money to buy then maybe you shouldnt buy one at all, vet bills can be very high and if you can't afford vet bills for the future there is no way you should be purchasing or adopting a dog. www.petfinder.org is a great place to find homeless animals. There is no use buying a purebred if your not showing or doing sports, and even if you want to show or do sports you can do it with mixed breeds too.

*LabLoverKEB*
08-03-2006, 12:07 AM
I don't want to be rude, I don't. But to me it sounds like you have not reserched at all. Dogs are a lot of time and a lot of money. If you don't want to spend a lot of money to buy then maybe you shouldnt buy one at all, vet bills can be very high and if you can't afford vet bills for the future there is no way you should be purchasing or adopting a dog. www.petfinder.org is a great place to find homeless animals. There is no use buying a purebred if your not showing or doing sports, and even if you want to show or do sports you can do it with mixed breeds too.
You said it much better that I did! ;)

luvofallhorses
08-03-2006, 12:07 AM
Dogs are expensive but well worth it. please adopt and don't buy! there are enough homeless animals in this world.

horse_lover
08-03-2006, 12:08 AM
Well if nobody is going to help me why did I post this? As a matter of fact I've done alot of research and I've already been to a whole bunch of sites looking for dogs. I was just asking for some advice. I just want a good dog. A small dog!

luvofallhorses
08-03-2006, 12:10 AM
we are giving you advice..not being mean in any way. just dogs are expensive either way you look at it. why don't you go to http://www.petfinder.com and go to shelters & rescue groups at the top of the page (it's in the middle you can't miss it. ;)) and go to your state and look if there are any small dogs near you or better yet you can go to your local animal shelter / rescue and go see what they have. :)

Flatcoatluver
08-03-2006, 12:10 AM
You said it much better that I did! ;)
Lol, but you kept it short and sweet! There is nothing wrong with that. Very good point about caring for a child. That is so true! I never thought I would be a mother at 13, I thought I was getting a dog and she wouldn't be that much in my life. Wow how much that changed. I won't date anyone my dog doesn't like. I make all my choises on how Zoey wants.

*LabLoverKEB*
08-03-2006, 12:11 AM
We were just trying to help you...

*LabLoverKEB*
08-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Lol, but you kept it short and sweet! There is nothing wrong with that. Very good point about caring for a child. That is so true! I never thought I would be a mother at 13, I thought I was getting a dog and she wouldn't be that much in my life. Wow how much that changed. I won't date anyone my dog doesn't like. I make all my choises on how Zoey wants.
I feel the exact same way! ;) :)

Flatcoatluver
08-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Well if nobody is going to help me why did I post this? As a matter of fact I've done alot of research and I've already been to a whole bunch of sites looking for dogs. I was just asking for some advice. I just want a good dog. A small dog!
Honestly REREAD my post!! The first sentence I wrote was trying not to offend you, it was all helpful. You did not explain how much reserch you have done. YOU ONLY HAD TWO SENTENCES, and you expect us to be like oh get a purebred and tell you what purebred.

horse_lover
08-03-2006, 12:13 AM
I'm sorry for being rude! I didn't mean it!

horse_lover
08-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Everyone.... I'm really really really sorry I reacted that way! It was immature! I just want to know a good dog breed that's all. I want a small breed. I wanted a pomeranian but different sites tell me different things about all dogs that I research. I just want to know from other people. So I'm sorry. I know what taking care of a dog takes. I have one already.

BC_MoM
08-03-2006, 02:34 AM
The purchase price (I hate calling it that) of a dog is nothing compared to how much the dog will cost you in the end. Just be aware that dogs cost money to be cared for properly.

CagneyDog
08-03-2006, 03:16 AM
Cavalier King Charles are excellent dogs. Have you done research on them? They are great family dogs, very friendly, and with training they can be really obedient. I love them :)

Aurie
08-03-2006, 08:10 AM
In the bottom right corner of this page: http://www.mysmartpuppy.com/ask-us/articles.html The author has several links to different breed types. Each of those links gives you very good general information on a type/catagory of breeds. This may give you a start at what would fit well with you and your situation. Read the first link on purebreds and then go from there. Good luck :)

lute
08-03-2006, 08:11 AM
pomerainians are nice dogs. i have one. they are barkers. they bark at everything. they shed. some people don't like dogs that shed. hair does get everywhere. you have to brush them out every day. if you don't they will get mats and that can be painful for a dog.

there are small dogs in shelters. i adopted my Beanie from the humane society 5 yrs ago. i'm not sure where you live, but if you'd like you can PM me and i'll help you find an animal shelter or rescue.

it may seem like we are jumping at telling you to do research on the breed you want and dogs in general. unfortinatly we've seen what happends to a lot of dogs that people get when they want a dog, but don't do their research on the breed and about dogs. dogs are left abandoned or killed. we just don't want to see it happen again.

good luck! :)

mruffruff
08-03-2006, 11:20 AM
It would help to know your living situation and how many people/animals live there. A dog that would be good for one person might not be good for a large or young family.

I like Cairn and Norwich Terriers. They are small without being tiny, don't need a lot of brushing but do need regular grooming, and are good guard dogs. But I don't know that they would be good with very small children and I know they need a firm hand. Also they are diggers.

What are you looking for in a dog?

Roxyluvsme13
08-03-2006, 11:24 AM
If you want a Pomeranian you better be prepared to groom them every day. I groom Lily almost every day, and she still has mats here and there. They are very energetic dogs, and if you don't like barkers then I suggest you don't get one. They do shed slightly, but if brushed, they usually aren't too bad. They do need lots of stimulation, if not they will destroy things. (trust me, I learned the hard way :p) Lily also has a slight bit of separation anxiety, and when excited or nervous she pees..

Lady's Human
08-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Please, please, please.....

RESCUE, Don't buy from a breeder!!!

GreyhoundGirl
08-03-2006, 11:29 AM
We can't really tell you which dog would fit your lifestyle best. We hardly know anything about you. I like sighthounds, but they might not fit your lifestyle. Tell us more about what kind of dog you want. You said small, but what else.

Do you want an active dog, or a couch potatoe?
Do you want the dog to do something with/for you, like protection or agility?

Any information would help.

buttercup132
08-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Do you want the dog to do something with/for you, like protection or agility?
;) Any dog that you love a ton will protect you in return no matter what breed or breeds.

Maybe coming here asking for advice was part of her reaserch?

lute
08-03-2006, 08:25 PM
;) Any dog that you love a ton will protect you in return no matter what breed or breeds.

yup! I had Ocean not even a week and he protected me from someone that attacked me. Beanie also protected me...from the weed eater. but he protected me. :rolleyes:

horse_lover
09-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Hey everybody! I lost internet but I'm on somebody elses computer. I got a dog now. He's a three year old pit bull. I know pit bull! He's the nicest dog ever.

Jessika
09-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Hey everybody! I lost internet but I'm on somebody elses computer. I got a dog now. He's a three year old pit bull. I know pit bull! He's the nicest dog ever.
Bit different from what you wanted originally eh?

I hope you rescued him?? Pits are wonderful and sweet dogs but they do require a lot of training so make sure to enroll him in an obedience class ASAP!

Good luck and I expect lots of pics... and soon :P

horse_lover
09-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Actually my cousin's friend gave him to me. He is already trained. The guy moved into an apartment so he couldn't keep him. I'm glad I have him.

luvofallhorses
09-16-2006, 07:34 PM
have you researched the breed as well? :) we'd love to see pictures! :D I just LOVE pit bulls and there are a lot of pit bull lovers here on this site, including myself. :)

horse_lover
09-16-2006, 07:38 PM
I can't get pictures now because my computer doesn't have internet, but when I do get it which will be soon I'll post some. For now I will tell you what he looks like. He's white, has a huge neck, fat, and tall. I think he may have boxer in him.

Almita
09-16-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm glad you got a Pit Bull! What's his name? Hope you can research about Pit Bulls to get to know about them more. Also can't wait for you to take pictures i LOVE pit bulls!

Danegirl2208
09-16-2006, 07:41 PM
well congrats..cant wait for pics :)

horse_lover
09-16-2006, 07:42 PM
His name is ozzy. Came with the name. It fits him.

Almita
09-16-2006, 07:45 PM
His name is ozzy. Came with the name. It fits him.

That's a cute name! Congrats on getting Ozzy! :)

horse_lover
09-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks. I really love him alot! I don't know what I'd do with out him. I know he wasn't the kind of dog I wanted but now I don't want any other dog.

Lady's Human
09-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Isn't rescuing more rewarding than buying?

I'm sure he'll love you, and knowing you gave a pup a home when they were in danger of not having one is a reward all in itself. :D

Almita
09-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Rescuing is very rewarding. My parents are planning on getting a kitten from my sister in laws Vet where they have a place in the work where they rescue the animals. We aren't sure about it but it is very rewarding helping them in need and all when i go there and help with my sister-in-law.

That's good that you are already close to your Ozzy!

CelticDreamer
09-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Nothing like a rescue dog, they give you so much unconditional love back and love you no matter what kind of day you are having... They even have Cavalier King Charles Spaniels in Pet finder too wish they had some near me (South Carolina) as id so like to have another one.... They are the sweetest most loving dogs one could ever wish to own... However, I am a lover of all animals well all but snakes & spiders those I can do without....

It's sad though to see so many dogs & cats in Pet finder though looking for homes I frequent the place many times a week sometimes daily just to see what they have new... Having a fur baby is by no means a cheap thing I could not begin to count the thousands of dollars I spent on my last one that I just lost to the Rainbow Bridge.... She was worth every penny though and then some & id do it all again tomorrow if I had too because she was such a sweetheart.... Some people however think just buying dog food and giving love is all a dog needs... Hmmmmm I can tell them a different story as it involves so much more than that so having a pet is not a cheap thing.... Not that any of you need to know this but some pet novices perhaps do... Vet bills & proper animal care can sure add up in the long run so make sure you can take care of all their needs before you consider have a fur baby....

~CelticDreamer~

Daisy and Delilah
09-17-2006, 06:51 AM
Congrats on getting Ozzy!! Can't wait for the pics. Thanks for adopting him!! :)

labmomma
09-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Firstly, if you get a dog it's like deciding to have a child and all of the responsibilities that goes along with it. Their medical care is expensive, they require discipline, schedules and all of the same things that children need. Just be sure you are committed to such a long term relationship before you make the big step. Please check with your local shelter and rescue groups and you'll be very surprised about what they have to offer. A lot of these dogs have already been crate trained and on their way to being obedient dogs. Good luck to you and I hope your years with your new fur child will be long and happy!! Both of my Labs are rescues and I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world because they have added so much to my life!
Labmomma :)

horse_lover
09-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm glad I didn't buy one. Now I realize that there are so many animals out there that need help. Ones that are for sale already have a home. No offense to anyone, but some people just care about money. It also breaks my heart to see people just leave their animals on the street, abuse them, and neglect them.