PDA

View Full Version : Hairballs......Ugh!

Catsnclay
08-02-2006, 08:03 PM
We are having a HUGE problem with Lucky and hairballs. Fluffy & Yoshi eat Science Diet Hairball diet, and that seems to work wonders for them.

Lucky, if you remember is the Chylothorax kitty and he needs to be on a special diet. I have tried hairball treats, Petromalt and he gets regular brushing (he is a beautiful medium/long hair) but he still coughs up hairballs! :mad:

And to make it even worse (for us) it always seems to happen at 2:30 AM :( I feel really bad for him because he climbs into bed with me after we clean it up, and he snuggles & purrs for hours. I know this is hard on him & me :rolleyes:

Does anyone have anything that WORKS????

My vet tells me to put some Petromalt in a syringe and put it down his throat because he doesn't like it, but that isn't working too well. It seems to go all over, and try cleaning up sticky Petromalt from a angry long-hair :eek: :rolleyes:

Can anyone suggest anything.........PLEASE for my desperate need of sleep :eek:

Catty1
08-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Does he eat wet food? Or is there some he is allowed to have?

Try mixing in a bit of Metamucil. Not sure how much to recommend...kind of like parmesan cheese on tomato sauce.

We used it at the kennel where I worked for older cats who stayed 'bound up' for two days. (Two was normal for younger cats after they had just arrived - but older cats can tox up faster).

They never noticed the flavour of it, and it got stuff moving!

I think that'll work.

jazzcat
08-02-2006, 10:27 PM
My vet gave me Lax-Aire for Rumor when she had a hairball blockage. He told me to use it as directed for all the cats to help with hairballs. Luckily three of my five love the taste and I can smear it on the paw of the other two. It's like Petromalt but it is softer and easier to smear on a paw. Petromalt is too stiff and balls up in their fur, I understand you problems with it.

I tired Petromalt and only Ripley is willing eat it, the rest gag from it.

I've also noticed since I switched my guys to Nutro Complete Care Indoor their hairballs have decreased and I haven't had to use Lax-Aire.

KitCat
08-03-2006, 08:55 AM
What about brushing the cat to remove the dead hair ? At least that way the cat would ingest less hair.

shais_mom
08-03-2006, 10:34 AM
sorry to hear this.
My Kylie has been on just about every kind of hairball formula there is - expensive, cheap, middle priced. Holistic, regular. And she still yaks them up. I try treats, regular brushing, cat lax, butter, vaseline. Finally I had her shaved a week ago and KNOCK ON WOOD she has been better. I have been debating on keeping her shaved like every other month. I LOVE her long silky hair but she looks so stinkin cute with this buzz cut and she is so soft and silky I can't keep my hands off her. She seems much more comfortable. I thought she would be rightly ripped off at me but that very nite she curled up beside me and wrapped her paws around my arm.
doesn't she look cute? with her pom pom tail?:p http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d908b3127cce8b96d1a8e18300000016109Qas2bFs1g

Catsnclay
08-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Try mixing in a bit of Metamucil.

Wow, I've never heard of this before, but I will give it a try.

He eats both wet & dry food, so I will sprinkle some on his wet food and see if it helps.

Shaving is out of the question. His coat is too silky and beautiful, besides we saw him with a huge shave spot, and he looked horrid! :eek: he does gets brushed daily.

We do shave Fluffy, our old guy with the lion cut only because he is a long-hair and he can't take care of himself anymore :( He just loves being shaved though, keeps him cooler and he gets to show off his "family jewels" to everyone :rolleyes: :D He is so proud of them, walks around with his tail held high!! :cool:

catmandu
08-03-2006, 06:18 PM
I have to give JJJ3 some meds as he grooms the other Cats so much, he has Rainbow Hairballs!