PDA

View Full Version : Thursday's 171 - Heat Wave

catland
08-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Come on in and beat the heat.

I see from the news that the heat wave is moving east. Please stay cool people. Don't exert yourself and check on your neighbors - especially the very young and the very old. Also, make sure there's water and a cool place for the furkids.

I see in some places that power consumption is at an all time high so I'll do the politically correct thing here and set the AC at 78. That will guarentee that we have enough power for the blender for the slushies.

Stay cool :cool:

lbaker
08-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Hi Julie!! Yes. Hot. Code Red, air quality zilch. (at least bus rides are free, and the buses are air-conditioned, so is the subway). We are better than most, only had an electric blow out last night for a few hours. A huge glass of iced lemonade is good but then Slushies are too ;) Veggies from my garden, with Jenny's water assistance, are fantastic though. How about some cooling cuke and fresh tomato garnish on anything we serve today. EastCoast corn, melons, fresh peas, beans and bandana ;) peppers are growing out the giggy. YUM!! The dogs and we are wishing our water tub (kitty pool) were bigger. I think even the cats wouldn't mind a spritz or splash :D Shrimp salad, crab salad.. anything without mayo if we have to keep it out on the deck. But this is Thursdays after all... we have air wherever/whenever we want it!!! Yea.. :D

moosmom
08-02-2006, 08:33 PM
I'll take a bucket of Margaritas, a huge salad and lots of fruit. It's a bazillion degrees here and I'm wilting FAST!!!

Lady's Human
08-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Hows about filling the hot tub with slushies? That way we can just dive in and cool off!

RedHedd
08-02-2006, 09:37 PM
The heat wave we had last week moved East, so y'all are experiencing what we had had. It's NOT phun! Got this from a girlfriend up in Sacramento where the temps reached in the hundred-teens. It was HOT!

It's Soooo Hot!

The birds have to use potholders to pull worms out of the ground.

The trees are whistling for the dogs.

The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.

Hot water now comes out of both taps.

You can make sun tea instantly.

You learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.

The temperature drops below 95 F (35 C) and you feel a little chilly.

You discover that in July it only takes 2 fingers to steer your car.

You discover that you can get sunburned through your car window.

You actually burn your hand opening the car door.

You break into a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.

Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"

You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.

The potatoes cook underground, so all you have to do is pull one out and add butter, salt and pepper. and of course Sour Cream, diced onions and a few serving spoons of Chile

Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying boiled eggs.

The cows are giving evaporated milk.

STAY COOL!

catland
08-02-2006, 10:44 PM
RH - its cooled off up here - same for you?

Ouch - LH - a hottub of slushies might be overdoing it. But we can put ice in the hottub and still serve up a BUCKET of slushies for you and Moosmom- DONE

LB - I've only had two ripe tomatoes so far - so if you can provide more, we can have cuke and tomato gariish.

Finally, for those who haven't heard - It's Randy K's birthday today. We had the privilage of meeting him and Beverly at Gini's BBQ - Happy Birthday RandyK :D

gini
08-02-2006, 11:57 PM
I really don't care if it is in the hot tub - or outside of the hot tub - I would like please a large VAT of Slushies.

Been that kinda day - and it is going to be a loooonnnng Thursday.

Beware, I will return.

That reminds me to tell you a story. My STFU neighbor put a hand painted sign on his gate. It said BE WARE OF DOG

(what dog?) Guess he didn't have spellcheck either.

slick
08-03-2006, 10:21 AM
GOOD MORNING!!!!!!! I've adopted a new attitude these days....don't ask why. :D Yes, I'll take a pot load of slushies too. Oops, did I say "pot"?? Settle down Laurie, not that kind. :D :D

Going to be a great day. The weather here has cooled off somewhat so that's a relief. It's a busy work week for me so I'll try to check in from time to time. Have a good one everyone. :)

lbaker
08-03-2006, 10:27 AM
tsk tsk Slick Slick ;) You are pert and sassy this morning, nice to see you so chipper. "Be ware of Dog" Gini? ... hmmm, maybe he was talking about the charming young lady that lives there :rolleyes:

sparks19
08-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Happy Thursday everyone :D

I will bring my box fans to help keep everyone cool lol.

I would definately like one of those slushies also.

Slick nice to see you are feeling better.

REdhedd love that post :D

Happy birthday RandyK

RedHedd
08-03-2006, 11:10 AM
RH - its cooled off up here - same for you? Oh yeah, big time. We have our "natural air conditioning" turned on - our lovely fog. It feels delicious!

I'll have one of those baked potatoes :D and a cuppa java to wake me up this morning.

Riptide
08-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Ha, maybe the pool will actually be cold today - it's only gonna be 104 today!

Come on over, everyone!

catland
08-03-2006, 12:14 PM
That reminds me to tell you a story. My STFU neighbor put a hand painted sign on his gate. It said BE WARE OF DOG

What? no pics of the sign? Riptide - 104? I hope its a dry heat :rolleyes:
Slick - its good to see you up and around.

So what are we going to do about slushie containers? Suggestions so far include a vat, a pot :p (don't worry Slick, according to Stephen Colbert - I live in the state where everyone has glacoma. ;) ), a bucket and a hottub.

We're going to need a bigger blender

RedHedd
08-03-2006, 12:40 PM
So what are we going to do about slushie containers? Suggestions so far include a vat, a pot :p (don't worry Slick, according to Stephen Colbert - I live in the state where everyone has glaucoma. ;) ), a bucket and a hottub.

We're going to need a bigger blender I'm trying to find that pic that came to me in an e-mail last month. Did anyone else get it? The company picnic with the HUGE cups?

Lady's Human
08-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Looks like it's time to set up a slushie maker with an outboard motor as the mixer, I don't think the little portable blender is going to be able to do the job.

The hotel out here in Okie sells 1/2 gallon mugs with their logo on it. How's that sound?

zippy-kat
08-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Laurie, if you need help with the tomatos -and don't mind dog slobber- Maggie would be more than happy to help. Mom can't keep her from picking ours!

A boxer with a tomato fetish... only us! :rolleyes:

:D

DrKym
08-03-2006, 01:32 PM
YAY Food and fun and WHISKEY!!!!!!!! In large amounts I hope! Delivers over some extra bags of Ice and Frozen kitty and Dog sicles to cool of the furkids.
Hi every1!

gini
08-03-2006, 05:17 PM
BBBRRRRRMMMMM, BBBBBBRRROOOMMMMMM,

Backs a brand spanking new cement mixer with stainless steel liner up to the back door of the bar. VROOMMMMM......BBRRROOOMMMM

Step right up folks - all the slushies you can cart away in your own containers.

My little gift to the east coasters in this heat!

Lady's Human
08-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Gini, sounds like you found a winner!

Anyone for some BBQ?

It's BBQ night here at the hotel, and while it's passable, I'd LOVE some real ribs cooked on my own grill.

slick
08-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Anyone here remember Martha and the Vandellas - Heat Wave......

Alright everybody sing now
..and a 1 and a 2 and a 3....

Whenever I'm with you
Something inside starts burning
and my heart's filled with fire

Stop this - it's got a hold on me
I said this ain't the way it's supposed to be

It's like a heatwave burning in my heart
I can't keep from crying
Tearing me apart

Whenever he calls my name
Sounds so soft sweet and plain
Right then, right there
I feel this burning pain
This high blood pressure's got a hold on me
I said this ain't the way love's supposed to be

I can't keep from crying
Tearing me apart

Whenever I'm with you
Something inside starts burning
And my hearts filled with fire

Something's got me amazed
Don't know what to do
My head's in a haze

I can't keep from crying
Tearing me apart

Ok, Ok, so I can't sing....but I've got great teeth.... :D :o
Holy crap Gini...where'd you get a thing like that??? Have you been bartering with those firemen again?? :D
One giant slushie to go please and I'll take some of those ribs LH along with plenty of napkins.

catland
08-03-2006, 06:08 PM
A cement mixer! and I thought that the outboard motor was brilliant!

Darn you Slick - now I'm humming your tune. :eek:

I'm more of a Joe Cocker fan (stop it people) - especially you Vicki and Laurie

Hot town, summer in the city
Back of my neck gettin' dirt and gritty
Been down, isn't it a pity?
Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city
All around people looking half-dead
Walking on the sidewalk, hotter than a matchhead

But at night it's a different world
Go out and find a girl
Come on, come on and dance all night
Despite the heat it'll be alright
And babe, don't you know it's a pity
The days can't be like the nights
In the summer in the city

Cool town, evenin' in the city
Dressed so fine and lookin' so pretty
Cool cat lookin' for a kitty
Gonna look in ev'ry corner of the city
'Til I'm weezin' at the bus stop
Runnin' up the stairs gonna meet ya on the roof-top

But at night it's a different world
Go out and find a girl
Come on, come on and dance all night
Despite the heat it'll be alright
And babe, don't you know it's a pity
The days can't be like the nights

slick
08-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Hey Julie, isn't that the Lovin' Spoonful??? I was so in love with the lead singer.... :o

Now you've got me singing that.... :D

RedHedd
08-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Hey Julie, isn't that the Lovin' Spoonful??? I was so in love with the lead singer.... :o

Now you've got me singing that.... :D
It WAS the Lovin' Spoonful and now I'm singing it too.

One Slushie to go, please

catland
08-03-2006, 06:56 PM
aw - heck if I can remember - I googled it and saw Joe's name - but we can say it was the lovin' spoonful ;)

lbaker
08-03-2006, 07:11 PM
HEY, this ain't a spoonful it's a MIXER :eek:

you guys... pass that dang mixer over here ;)

CEMENT MIXER, PUTTY PUTTY
(Slim Gaillard / Ricks)
Recorded by : Liberace; Jimmie Lunceford; Hal McIntyre; Alvino Rey.

Cement mixer, putty putty
A puddle o’ vooty, a puddle o’ gooty,
A puddle o’ scooby, a puddle o’ veet concrete.
First you get some gravel, pour it on the vout
To mix a mess o’ mortar
You add cement and water
See the mellow roony
Come out slurp slurp slurp.

"slurp slurp slurp.." I rather like the sound of that :D

slick
08-04-2006, 12:24 PM
**knock knock** Anybody home? Gee, it's quiet in here.

Happy Friday everyone! Come on, get up and shake that dust off. I see the "seement mixer" is empty. I guess I'd better get that blender out again. Sure could use an ice cold slushie and some munchies. Hey Mario, want to come in the kitchen with me and find something to eat?? Yes, you can bring the little orangie kitten with you.

catland
08-04-2006, 01:16 PM
good morning - although its almost afternoon. :eek:

I wonder if there is an entry in the Guiness book of world records for world's largest slushie?

smokey the elder
08-04-2006, 01:35 PM
It's cooled off here; how about some nachos?

gini
08-04-2006, 01:41 PM
http://www.wgal.com/entertainment/4449749/detail.html

Well, we have some competition here - seems my cement mixer is nothing compared to what is available in a blender.

I googled for world's largest blender and VOILA! there exists one that will hold 500 GALLONS.

Check out the video to see it.

P.S. - I have ordered one for Thursday's Bar. :D Bring the neighbors.

Lady's Human
08-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Gini, if you include industrial mixing tanks with impellers in them, I know of mixing tanks used in the beverage industry that hold up to 4000 gallons. Now THERE'S a slushie you can cool off in!

No, Mario, you can't bob for cherries in the hot tub! :eek:

gini
08-04-2006, 01:53 PM
LH - but we would have to move the bar over there wouldn't we?

No one would ever go home - or could they walk :D

slick
08-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Slow day at the office Gini??? :p ;) :D

RedHedd
08-04-2006, 02:05 PM
A puddle o’ vooty, a puddle o’ gooty,
A puddle o’ scooby, a puddle o’ veet

Oh dear! What a mess! Watch out for that Veet stuff, Mario - you'd look pretty funny all hairless and ... :eek: :p Oh no! The kitten too! Yikes!

sparks19
08-04-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm all for giant blenders and everything but um..... don't nominate me to pour the drinks from that sucker :D lol

I'll take whatever you got mixin right now :D

lbaker
08-04-2006, 05:22 PM
What are you guys doing to me?? I'm beginning to mix threads (instead of drinks). Another thread has lyric questions and here I am. Purely innocent of course :rolleyes: thinking about this giant blender and BOY, are we going to need alot of limes for THAT thing... next thing you know "put the lime in the coconut, mix it all up..." and if that isn't bad enough I'm thinking "lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is so difficult to eat" You see!? I'm doomed to old songs in my brain all weekend. Either that or bring out my old albums (vinyl for you young'uns) and make myself even goofier ... *as if* ;) I'll have whatever is in that "pot" Slick :eek:

Lady's Human
08-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Lemon tree, very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is a thing one cannot eat.

Used to play that on trumpet.

As far as the slushie tank goes, I could move it somewhere, but WHERE IN HECK are we going to put it?

Oh Richard, I think we need an expansion for the L+F........... :D

catland
08-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Now that's a blender.

gini
08-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Hello? Jose Quervo Company? Yes, thank you..............

I would like to order your 500 gallon blender. How long will it take to get it?I need it installed by next July.

RICHARD
08-05-2006, 06:22 AM
What the....

Mario,

Why are you wearing the life vest?

Lady, what's with the water wings?

Possum.......A life ring?

What's that noise???

Nachos cheese on the porch?...

Whoa.....who ordered the cement mixer?

-----------------------

I swear to George this is the honest truth....

I didn't see this thread until now....

It's 0430 in the morning on Satruday....A little less than 24 hours ago I walked out to the front of my house and a cement mixer was pulling up to pour the driveway to my mom's house.

We suffered with a gravel drive way for 6 weeks while the city dragged it's toes...they are repairing all the driveways in the 'hood......

When I heard about the cement mixer moving into Thursday's i almost died..

This only happens in my world......welcome to it!

DONE?

:D :eek: :confused:

Corinna
08-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Hey there when ever one of those mxers is free I sure could use it. Hubby bought a hot tub 3 months ago . Need a pad put down before installing it. It's driving me crazy a hot tub un useable GRRRRR. sure could have this last week.
How about a DLC please ? Oh yeah I just made a cherry cheese cake help your selves.

sparks19
08-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Wakey Wakey?

Anyone alive yet? Come on that blender wasn't THAT big. I think we did a great job of cleaning it out :D

It's almost 2 pm. Way past the recommended time for Thursdays Happy Hour

:D

Lady's Human
08-05-2006, 03:41 PM
I just want to know one thing......

WHO was the bastard who decided to put a cafe in border's?

Coffee in a book store.......BAD (At least for my wallet) :D

Being that this is a completely hypoallergenic bar, Anyone for some Lobster rolls?

(Yes, Kitten, you can have a few tidbits)

Killearn Kitties
08-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Me me me !!! I'll take the lobster rolls, the coffee and the books please!
AND ... a little cuddle at my hypoallergenic birthday present!

Lady's Human
08-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Okay, one order of lobster rolls, a complete book of Kipling's poetry, and a large Irish for the Scot! :p

Karen
08-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Mmmm, lobster rolls, made with real mayonnaise and some celery for crunch. (seeing as all food at Thursday is hypoallergenic. In the real world folks, I could eat the lobster but neither celery nor mayonnaise, and Lady's Human could eat the celery and mayo, but not the lobster. Ain't life odd?)

And then some cherry cheescake from Corinna for dessert! Yum!

And I'll bring enough books so there's something for everyone!

RICHARD
08-06-2006, 04:30 AM
Karen,
In the real world I have a blood pressure reading that requires me to be in a fridge at the morgue. :eek:

I love to watch the people who look at the gauge, look at me, start the BP test all over again, then call for help.

The doc comes into the room, then freaks out.......I start to laugh. ;)

Thursdays is a place where we can step out of the earthly constraints and be a little daring.

It would take more than beaten eggs to keep a good person down....

done!

Killearn Kitties
08-06-2006, 07:49 AM
I could eat the lobster but neither celery nor mayonnaise, and Lady's Human could eat the celery and mayo, but not the lobster. Ain't life odd?)
Must make going out for dinner good and cheap -you can share the same meal!

I missed cherry cheesecake??? Did you make it yourself Corinna?

Corinna
08-06-2006, 10:10 AM
of course I made it myself no cheating on a cheese cake. I just can't eat more than a bite. New meds for diabetes. any thing really yummy makes me nausous.

sparks19
08-06-2006, 11:19 AM
of course I made it myself no cheating on a cheese cake. I just can't eat more than a bite. New meds for diabetes. any thing really yummy makes me nausous.

HEHE what a contradictory sentence :D

I am sorry to hear that though :(

mmmmm cheesecake

Corinna
08-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Yea it was kind of an Oximorion But it's true the cobanation is working tolower my sugars but any thing I love (yummy foods ) makes me sick. Guess it is supposed to I don't know but I'll get to eat it here in cyber space.

Killearn Kitties
08-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Okay, one order of lobster rolls, a complete book of Kipling's poetry, and a large Irish for the Scot! :p
Oh how kind! Are you phsycic by any chance? I saw "The Man who would be King" again the other night, and it just made me think of the poem you posted before. I'll just take my book and brush up my poetry knowledge in the corner here.

gini
08-07-2006, 12:51 AM
Quick, someone help me with these helium filled balloons - and streamers.

It is Laurie's birthday on Monday 8/7 and you know how early she gets up on the east coast.

MARIOOOOOOO-get out of her cake! Darn it all, now I have to re-do the icing - "Happy Birthday Laur" just isn't going to cut it.

Now when she walks in the door - everyone yell SURPRISE and show her that big box in the corner. It is filled with gifts from everyone.

Mario you do look adorable when you pout!

Killearn Kitties
08-07-2006, 05:24 AM
Lovely job of the icing, Gini! You would never know that Mario had licked the last lot off. I'll tie the balloons up.

Lady's Human
08-07-2006, 06:31 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAURIE!

lbaker
08-07-2006, 06:33 AM
:eek: :D :D awwwwwww :o Why does Marios voice sound so.. oh, helium... dang Gini, you should know better than to leave him alone with that stuff :rolleyes:

Killearn Kitties
08-07-2006, 06:36 AM
SURPRISE!!! :D

Sit down and put your feet up. We've got coffee and cake for breakfast! Yum yum!

catland
08-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Happy Birthday Laurie -

Mario - stop sucking all the helium and all the nitrous from the cans of whipping cream - now what are we going to put on the strawberry shortcake?

Lady's Human
08-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Let me whip up (Pun intended) some whipped cream with a little extra in it.....Irish makes a nice seasoning as well...

RedHedd
08-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Happy Birthday Laurie! I'll put a quarter in the jukebox and we'll have Frank croon Happy Birthday to you :D

Lady's Human
08-07-2006, 04:25 PM
What about the Thursday's 4-part (and multi-species) choir?

DOn't even need a quarter for that!