PDA

View Full Version : newsletter form UAN

doolittleky
08-02-2006, 03:27 PM
This a newletter that I receive from UAN

Be prepared to help an animal in crisis

As an animal lover, are you prepared to help bring an animal who is lost or injured to safety?

You can make sure you are prepared to be a "lifeline" for injured and stranded animals by assembling a Good Samaritan kit and keeping it in your car. Your kit should include:

Leash and collar
Strong-smelling food or treats
Small carrier or cardboard box
Collapsible water bowl
Bottle of water
Animal first-aid kit
Addresses and phone numbers for local animal shelters and emergency veterinary clinics
Through its LifeLine grant program, UAN helps Good Samaritans meet the high cost of emergency veterinary care for animals they rescue from life-threatening situations.

So if you do find an injured animal who needs lifesaving veterinary care, LifeLine may be able to help you meet the high cost of caring.

From EARS volunteer and animal advocate Rebecca Bauer of Sacramento, California

"I have been engaged in animal advocacy since Hurricane Katrina, writing letters and calling senators and representatives on various animal legislation to seek their support. The day after I called on the horse slaughter bill, it passed. Senator David Cox responded to one of my calls by sending me a personally signed letter confirming his support, and the list goes on. I never thought my small voice would make a difference, but it does!"

If you want to make your voice heard on behalf of animals, sign up to receive our Action Alerts today!

More than 1,500 horses find new homes

Last month, the tally of horses adopted through PMURescue.org rose to 1,500. That's 1,500 horses once exploited by the industry that manufactures hormone replacement therapy drugs from pregnant mares' urine (PMU) who have been adopted into permanent, loving homes.

If you or someone you know is interested in adopting a horse, visit PMURescue.org today. More than 350 horses are posted right now, awaiting their forever homes.

Learn more about the PMU industry here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Space available in disaster training workshops

Interested in becoming a trained Emergency Animal Rescue Service (EARS) volunteer, able to care for animals displaced by a disaster in a temporary shelter? Space is still available at these workshops:

Little Rock, Arkansas - August 4
Little Rock, Arkansas - August 5
Dallas, Texas - October 22

Learn more and register here.

If you can't attend one of these workshops, sign up to receive our 2007 schedule later this year.

Download this!

Braveheart (pictured) is a therapy dog who became seriously ill. His caregiver could not afford the cost of his lifesaving care, but UAN stepped in with a LifeLine grant to help her meet Braveheart's emergency veterinary expenses. Braveheart is now healthy and back to work!

To make this adorable photo of Braveheart your new desktop background, follow these simple instructions:

OPTION 1: Click on the image above to launch the larger file. Right mouse-click on the large image and select "Set as Wallpaper ".

OPTION 2: Click on the image above to launch the larger file. Right mouse-click on the large image and select "Save Image As" and then select a folder on your hard drive to save the image. Then on your desktop, right mouse-click over the background and choose Properties>Desktop. Click the "Browse" button and select the photo from the folder where you saved it. Choose "Stretch" to fill your entire desktop screen or "Center" for a smaller image.

Save Me...
...to your desktop!

Meet Hokie! Hokie and his mom, Dariel Miller, are the newest members of the UAN staff. They answer the telephones and staff the front desk -- making a formidable welcoming committee for UAN. You'll be seeing more of Hokie in his new monthly e-Journal column, so we thought you'd like to get to know him.

Exactly what kind of dog are you, Hokie?
I'm a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel-Chihuahua mix. I bet you've never seen another dog like me!

What do you do all day at UAN?
In between naps I like to play with my favorite stuffed frog or eat some treats (people here LOVE to give me treats). I also greet the visitors when my mom is on the phone.

You're a little fellow. How do you keep up with the other dogs in the office?
The real question is: How do they keep up with me? I love to run, and my mom will tell you that I can run for hours before I get tired. The other office dogs can't do that ... so we usually keep playtime to about ten minutes.

Do you have some advice for us animal lovers?
I've got lots of it -- but you'll have to read the next
e-Journal to find out what it is!

UAN offers many ways to stay informed

Even if you subscribe to the e-Journal, you might be missing important news about UAN and ways you can help the animals! Check out our other online publications:

PMULines
Concerned about how hormone replacement drugs made from pregnant mares’ urine (PMU) affect women and horses? Get the latest news from this industry, find out what we’re doing to save the horses, and learn how you can help, too.

Action Alerts
Be the first to know when your action is required to help animals -- whether it's writing a letter to your legislator or spreading the word about the importance of disaster preparedness.

Forward the e-Journal to your friends and encourage them to subscribe!

© 2006 UNITED ANIMAL NATIONS
P.O. BOX 188890 | SACRAMENTO, CA 95818
(916) 429-2457 TEL | (916) 429-2456 FAX | [email protected] E-MAIL | WWW.UAN.ORG WEB
CONTACT UAN | PRIVACY POLICY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We want to share our news far and wide... forward this edition of the e-Journal to a friend!

If you received this message from a friend, you can SIGN UP to receive the e-Journal.

catmandu
08-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Thank You for sharing your newsletter.
And theres so many unwanted animals, I fear that theres going to be a backlash , and they will be summarily executed.
People just dont care after thier pet grows out of the cute stage, and thats a tragedy.

catfamily
08-02-2006, 07:29 PM
First I want to thank you Melissa for sharing that News letter with us.Any knowledge to help save an animals life is much appreciated :)
And Gary..I agree 100% about people not (loving older pets like they should)
I'm one of those who LOVES older cats.I just LOVE them so VERY much.I love kittens too but older cats I adore and respect.
And I love kittens and wish they were not so easy to adopt.What I mean is that they should not give kittens to homes with small children.They do that so much it makes me sick!!!(shelters)In fact...they push it!!
Children should NOT be allowed near kittens.They hurt them by accident too many times and it makes me so angry just thinking about it.Mom's and Dad's want to amuse their children with kittens.Or just give them kittens to get them out of their hair or shut them up. :(