PDA

View Full Version : What to wear?

catnapper
08-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Yikes, I just found out that I am expected to present a major project monday. Its for a huge project, the president of a university, so not only does my work have to be flawless, I do too! :eek:

My question is this: WHAT DO I WEAR? Its 100 degrees plus outside. Monday's weather is supposed ot be a little cooler (but I still don't consider 85 degress plus humidity cool :rolleyes: ) I'll be in my car for almost 2 hours to get to the appointment, so not only does it have to be comfortable, but wrinkle resistant.

I have a "thing" about sleeveless in a business setting. I think capri's are cute and office appropriate, but not for giving a huge presentation. There's no way I'm going to even pretend to wear a jacket, so suits are waaaayyyy out of the question.

Whatever it is, I have to run out tonight or tomorrow and BUY it because none of my summer clothes are appropriate right now... working from home has made me hopelessly bad about owning anything other than tees and comfy shorts.

So, what is professional, wrinkleproof, comfortable, cool, and has some sort of sleeves? A dress? A shirt and skirt? A shirt and pants? HELP!

Also..... since I was robbed, I have NO jewelry other than a few inky dinky earrings and the ring I've been wearing in lieu of a wedding band. Do you think I have to worry about accessories? I'd like to get whatever I need for $50 all together (thats all the money hubby can give me ;) )

beeniesmom
08-02-2006, 02:11 PM
I'd wear a simple pair of black trousers with black shoes and a nice short-sleave blouse.

Don't worry about accessories. At the most a pair of nice earrings and put your hair up if it's long.
It'll keep you cooler and more confortable.

Cataholic
08-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Black skirt or slacks on bottom, and a sleeveless 'set' on top. You can wear the shell while driving and walking into the place, and slip on the top piece before the presentation. I, too, am not a sleeveless person. But, when it is SO hot, like it is now, I do wear them going to/fro.

Craftlady
08-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Sleeveless set on top is great idea.
Pants (light colored tan, beige) would be ok. I wouldnt wear black, navy to hot.
Keep jewerly to a minimum. Small earrings, wedding ring and watch.

Cataholic
08-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Oh, don't tell ES, but, forget the hose! LOLOL.

Queen of Poop
08-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Might I suggest either pants or a skirt in a neutral color and perhaps one of the tank top/sweater combos that are so popular right now. The sweater can even be short sleeved. Pumps are a must, no toes showing!! Jewellry is not needed, you don't want to look over done. Also, you need to exude an air of confidence. That you like who you are, you like what you're doing and you are going to do an awesome job. Good Luck!!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Just a decent pair of trousers (no jeans!), and a light but stylish blouse :)

catland
08-02-2006, 03:48 PM
I would avoid linen because of the wrinkles and polyester because of the way it can feel sticky in the heat.

Is this a one-shot deal and then back to the tees and shorts? If so, you might want to consider a thrift store - especially if its one in a more well-to-do neighborhood.

catnapper
08-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Is this a one-shot deal and then back to the tees and shorts? If so, you might want to consider a thrift store - especially if its one in a more well-to-do neighborhood.
I've been checking thrift stores all summer, got lots of winter stuff, but nothing for summer.

A quick inventory of the closet reveals a gorgeous black crepe skirt with pink and coral flowers embroidered the hem... what are the chances I'll find a blouse in the perfect shade of coral to match? I wore the skirt once - for easter this past year, and the top I wore with it is a light cable knit sweater. Yes its light, but its still a sweater and a million bucks won't get me to waer it in this heat!

I'm trying to remember what I wore the last time I was on the college campus. I am fairly certain it was my Jones NY twinset (my big steal last year - a $180 twinset for $14). I look like a million bucks in it... its lightweight and is sleeveless without the outer sweater part. Ideal to wear around until I get into the meeting. But I don't want to go wearing the same thing I wore last time, which was in the dead of winter. I couldn't find parking because we had a snow storm and the plows covered all the parking spaces with mounds of snow. LOL! I can't even think about snow right now! Its too hot!

heinz57_79
08-02-2006, 06:58 PM
I am all about thrift stores! :) I'd try to hunt up a pair of khaki slacks, since it's summer black would probably be over-doing it. A nice, light button-down blouse to go with it would work too. To avoid wrinkles on the way there, you could always wear a t-shirt in the car, then find a corner in the parking lot and change your shirt before you get out of your car. ;) I've done it lots of times! My girlfriend (pretty girly) wears slacks and either a light blouse or pull-over "nice" shirt to work, often with her nice sandals. I've got it lucky, I think. I can come to work in a bathrobe if i wanted to! hehehe I'm in a t-shirt, jeans and converse sneakers right now. I love it! :)

Good luck with everything, though! :) I'm sure whatever you decide to wear will be fine.

Freckles
08-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Is it possible to keep your presentation clothes on a hanger and change just before?

Edwina's Secretary
08-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Oh, don't tell ES, but, forget the hose! LOLOL.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: