PDA

View Full Version : What does your pets name mean?

Danegirl2208
08-02-2006, 03:37 AM
What does your pets name mean?
(You can do a quick google/yahoo search to find it easily )

Malakai
Orgin: Hebrew
Meaning: angel, messenger of God

Chloe
Origin: Greek
Meaning: Greenery, Greek goddess of plants and crops.

Raven
Orgin: Old English
meaning: Black Bird

Dorothy39
08-02-2006, 06:21 AM
How very interesting. I have since looked up the names of my daughter's German Shepards.

Hexay( pronounced Hex- long A vowel sound)
meaning: German for "Witch"
origin-I assume, german

Kasha

origin: Greek

meaning: pure

Argranade
08-02-2006, 09:32 AM
I could only find these names had meanings but my other pets names do too just In my own creation lol.

Dream catcher.
Its a beautiful creation that catches all the evil dreams and only leaves the good and looks like a spider web and used in many Aborigonal tribes.

Whiteriver.
Free-spirited.
Gender.E
Origin./

Rain.
Meaning: Abundant Blessings from Above
Origin: American

Chilli
08-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Melani(cat)- basically means black or dark... it fits perfectly.

Ethan(dog)-"solid, enduring" in Hebrew.

Otto(rat)- his was the name of kings of Germany, including Otto I, the founder of the Holy Roman Empire, who was known as Otto the Great. A king of Greece also bore this name. (thats all I could find)

Venny(rat)- Basically, its a shorter version of Vincent, and spelled differently, and Vincent means: From the Roman name Vincentius, which was from Latin vincere "to conquer".

Ophelia(rat)- Derived from Greek οφελος (ophelos) meaning "help".

Pocky(rat)- Its food.. basically a chocolate covered biscuit stick(comes it different flavors and such). XD

Aiko(rat)- Means "love child" in Japanese.

Marlee(mouse)- From a surname which was taken from a place name meaning "pleasant wood" in Old English. A famous bearer of the surname was the Jamaican musician Bob Marley(my hero^^).

Hinge(betta)- those bendy things that hold doors to the frame. :D

Clyde(betta)- From the name of the River Clyde in Scotland, which is of unknown origin.

Faye(betta)- Named after my mum's middle name, but other than that: Derived from Middle English faie meaning "fairy".

Parka(betta)- A coat or jacket with a hood and usually a warm lining for cold-weather wear.

Reich(goldfish)- The territory or government of a German state, as the Holy Roman Empire, or First Reich, from the ninth century to 1806; the German Empire, or Second Reich, from 1871 to 1919; the Weimar Republic, from 1919 to 1933; or the Third Reich, from 1933 to 1945.

Haiku(Ryukin)- A Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

The others, I couldn't find the meaning, or they really just don't have a meaning. :D

Zippy
08-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Zip aka Zippy:To move swiftly and energetically.

Nemo:the clown fish in the movie Finding Nemo

Ruby:a red jewel

Pumpkin:a round orange vegatiable(sp?)

Tugboat:a boat that pulls other ships into the harbor

IRescue452
08-02-2006, 01:58 PM
I haven't even got names for all my fish and the roachies. Of course you can't tell the baby roachies apart yet.

Autumn (dog)- the season, Latin
Sonny (cat)- young male, English
Epitaph (hisser)- script on a tombstone honoring the deceased, Greek
Aires (hisser)- the astrological sign
Depot (fish)- a centralized store or station
Tony (fish)- flower, Roman
Shamu (fish)- the whale
Asher (fish)- happy, Hebrew
Suerte (fish)- lucky, Spanish
Aphid (fish)- a small bug
Caddis (fish)- a large bug
Angel (fish)- heavenly creature, Latin
Gulliver (fish)- god, Scandinavian

Christmas_Hamster
08-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Dash(hamster)- To move around swiftly

Dusk(hamster)- The time between day and night

Spunky(hamster)- To be full of positive energy

Romeo(hamster): From Romeo and Juilet

Riz(hamster): I made it up from the name 'Liz'

Trixie(hamster): Is the 'pet name' for Beatrix which is from Viatrix which is the feminine form of Viator which means voyager or traveller

Krista(hamster): Is the short form for Kristina which is a different speeling of Christian which is the feminine form of the word Christian

Bandit(hamster): an outlaw who lives by plunder; especially : a member of a band of marauders

Blue(dog): a colour

Hermione(cat): from Harry Potter

Ginny(cat): From Harry Potter

Risteek(fish): From the owrd mystic only pronounced slightly different

Mandarin(fish): Named after my favourite resteraunt

Sara(fish): Means "lady" or "princess"

Crown(fish): a royal or imperial headdress or cap of sovereignty

Freckle(fish): any of the small brownish spots in the skin due to augmented melanin production that increase in number and intensity on exposure to sunlight

The Guppies(for 2 fish): A type of fish

Neons(school of fish): A type of fish

Sevaede
08-03-2006, 01:38 AM
Just an idea, here is a good etymology site: http://www.behindthename.com .

Soni is just a different spelling of Sunny that I made up. :) Spanky, Feesh, Squeesh, Toad, and Chocky are all made up or are a tribute.

ISIS
Usage: Egyptian Mythology (Hellenized)
Pronounced: IE-sis (English) [key]

Greek form of Egyptian Aset, which possibly means "the throne". In Egyptian mythology Isis was the goddess of the sky and nature, the wife of Osiris and the mother of Horus. She was often depicted having the horns of a cow on her head.
_______

BIJOU
Usage: English
Means "jewel" in French.

Rota is one of the names of Odins original valkyries.

cocker_luva
08-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Jesse
Origin: Hebrew
Meaning: One with wealth; gift.

Jada
Origin: English/French
Meaning: An old horse; a precious stone.

Derek
Origin: Teutonic
Meaning: Famous ruler of the people.

DrKym
08-04-2006, 08:50 PM
ROFL
GoofBall
means she is a goofball

Rusty
color of rust

all the rest are flowers excepting

Io
Moon orbiting Jupiter meaning he is huge and orange and Karen has better names than I do!
Moonlight on Snow
means she is a weird cat who is white and shifty.

Flatcoatluver
08-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Zoey (dog)- Life
T.j (dog)- He didn't have it so I typed in Jr. The Young, Child
Kendy (cat)- Nothing
Kasey (cat)-Brave, Vigilant
Keshaw (cat)- nothing
Jedi (betta)- nothing... star wars
Rudy (betta)-Famous Wolf
Waddles (duck)-Nothing
Quackers (duck)-nothing
Puddles (duck)-nothing
Salt (cichlid)-Nothing
Willy (goldfish)-Will-Helmet

Iilo
08-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Ghettoblaster (fantail goldfish):

ghettoblaster 4 thumbs up

A boombox, a portable stereo system capable of playing radio stations or recorded music at relatively high volume.

Ghettoblaster is a term that can be considered insulting or complimentary depending on the context. The word originated in the US, apparently reflecting the belief that they are popular in poor inner-city neighborhoods (ghettos), especially those populated by black Americans. Ghettoblaster rather than boom box became the common term in the UK and Australia for large portable stereos, perhaps because it carried less meaning.

The term carries a connotation of power and disregard of social rules.

The word is racially inflammatory in some circumstances but has also been embraced as a term of black, urban pride — and, like many such terms, has been adopted by parts of the non-black American community. It is used as the name of at least one magazine and one recording company, and is also a popular stereotype element typically associated with funk, hip-hop and rap, African-American culture, '70s and '80s culture, breakdancing, and even racist jokes.

Orien (Malamute):
Meaning unknown, but possibly related to Greek ‘οριον (Horion) "boundary, limit" or ουρον (ouron) "urine".

I have a dog named Urine, great.

Purrdy (cat):
Derived from Latin perditus meaning "lost". Shakespeare created this name for the daughter of Hermione in his play 'The Winter's Tale'.

I can't find CoCoa... I'm pretty sure it means tasty.