PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Mt. Timpanogos~foods that sustain energy?

wolf_Q
08-01-2006, 08:32 PM
My friend and I are hiking Mount Timpanogos this thursday. http://www.utahtrails.com/Timpanogos.html I think we're going to spend the night up there and come back on Friday (a bit nervous about that..:o ). We're bringing our dogs of course. I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas of what food would be best for energy? We can't have anything that needs to be kept cold or heated (no fires and I'm not dragging a cooler up there lol). All I've thought of is power bars (ick) and jerky...maybe some dried fruit/nuts?

Also, I feel pathetic asking this but could you guys maybe say a little prayer for us that we'll make it up there and down safely? My mom is really freaked out about it and I think she'd be a bit upset if something happened to us. ;) Thanks

DrKym
08-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Real trail mix (nuts fruit raisins) careful with jerky alot of them are high salt not worth the carrying. Carbs are energy so you may want to bake some yummy whole grain biscuits with dried fruit. If you feed raw to the dogs then just freeze their dinner it will be thawed by the time you get up there. WATER WATER and WATER for all of you.

slleipnir
08-01-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure what to take, but it sounds like a lot of fun...although, I know I would die doing it. (seeing I could barely make it to the G lol) Anyway, have fun, I'm sure everything wll go great.

Cinder & Smoke
08-01-2006, 09:42 PM
My friend and I are hiking Mount Timpanogos this thursday.

... could you guys maybe say a little prayer for us that we'll
make it up there and down safely?

My mom is really freaked out about it and I think
she'd be a bit upset if something happened to us. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif

OMG!
Your Mom isn't the Only One who's gonna be "freaked out about it"!!

All of Pet Talk is going to be a Basket Case till you're all back safe & sound!

Things to Take:

* Cell phone with a charged battery

* A bell or Whistle around your necks - use every so often to warn the Big Critters
that you're in the neighborhood - they'll take the hint and go away ...
You and the Pups do NOT want to "surprise" any of the local wildlife!
(Get a cheap whistle at WalMart - in the boating accessories area)

* Post a HOME PHONE NUMBER on the dashboard of the car - with instructions
to call if anyone has questions. DON'T post who you are or where you're going -
just say "Hike Plan filed with Rangers".

* Be sure to file a Hike Plan with the Rangers -
Find out where and how to file your Plan - but DO IT!!
Don't even THINK about going that far without leaving detailed plans
with the Park Rangers ...
and remeber to check OUT with them when you return - so they KNOW you're OK.

Have PHUNN - but please, BE CAREFUL!!

{{{Hugs}}} from Phred

wolf_Q
08-01-2006, 09:54 PM

OMG!
Your Mom isn't the Only One who's gonna be "freaked out about it"!!

All of Pet Talk is going to be a Basket Case till you're all back safe & sound!

Thanks, I don't think there's too many people on PT who would care if I'm here or not though. Though maybe a few would miss Nebo pics. ;)

My friend has a cell phone, whether it will work up there or not I don't know. My mom's cell worked at nearby Stewart Falls so hopefully it will (they have the same service). We're not just wandering randomly up a mountain, this is a well used trail and people do sleep up there quite often. I have hiked it before (though the Timpanooke side not the Aspen Grove) I just haven't camped out up there. If I'm not back by friday evening my mom will be hiking up I'm sure lol.

I'll try to find some good carbs and yes we planned on bringing lots of water. I may make my own trail mix as I hate raisins and they all seem to have those.

DrKym
08-01-2006, 10:10 PM
OHH pokes Nebos Mom! We would ALL miss you!
If you make your own trail mix do you like /eat dried cranberries? or apricots? the fruit is in there for the sugar content hun so PLEASE make sure you have something chewy dried fruit (not banan chips type things) Of course Phreds advice was completely correct add to that list a flashlight, bug spray or Avons SSS (which can be used on the dogs) and an few extra pairs of socks, thick comfy kind they come in very handy if your feet get wet or sweat to much can do double duty in a first aid emercency (you have the first aid kit right) and can be used on doggie paws if needed. just a few random thoughts.

anna_66
08-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks, I don't think there's too many people on PT who would care if I'm here or not though.

Oh please...we all love you! Be careful and have fun:D

Daisy and Delilah
08-02-2006, 07:02 AM
Be careful Amy. I'll have you in my thoughts and prayers. You guys will be fine. Just try to relax and enjoy. Good advice Phred. :)

cyber-sibes
08-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a grand adventure, Amy. Phred has some good advice - gosh, I've never thought about a whistle or filing a plan with the ranger - good tips! AND OF COURSE WE WOULD MISS YOU, YOU SILLY!
Not sure what to tell you about the foods - I know that we used to get products from Cell Tech (blue-green algae foods) that were designed for high-energy activities like mountain climbing, but they aren't carried in stores.. Maybe some health food stores might have some other foods containing blue-green algae. Be safe, have fun! You're on my prayer list! OH_ don't forget to add this to your list - "camera" ;) !

lv4dogs
08-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Amy, stop being silly, we will all miss you dearly if you didn't return.

Check out your local campling supply stores (gander mountain, dicks sporting goods, bass pro shops, etc...) they all carry high energy meals and snacks that are designed for this very purpose.

Have you back packed before? If not I would take it slow, even a little extra weight on a pack can be pretty rough for someone who is not used to it. Carrying a tent, sleeping gear, food, water, etc... all adds up fast. You might want to start with some smaller hikes until you are mroe used to it.

Phred has some EXCELLENT suggestions, please follow his advice.

I've always wanted to do something like that but can never afford to buy lightweight gear to carry (i know I couldn't do it with the camping supplies I currently have). You will be in my thoughts & prayers & I'll be on the lookout for updates & pics. (hint hint).

Lady's Human
08-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Despite all the comments about them, MRE's (Meals ready to eat) are good sources of high energy, and you can get ones that actually taste good. (Ham and the chow mein are actually GOOD). They cost about $7/ea at a camping supply store, and each one is about 3000 calories if you eat everything. They are also lightweight.

Drink LOTS of water, and supplement the water with powdered Gatorade mix that you can get in packets.

beeniesmom
08-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Have fun. Of course we'd miss you silly.
Some food to bring along: Granola bars, Peanut butter and crackers or celery... ummm... nutella

CountryWolf07
08-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Ahh, be careful! :) It was fun when I hiked up there with you two summers ago! It was exhausting, though, but I'd do it again! Have fun!

wolf_Q
08-02-2006, 10:16 PM
I bought some stuff, I can't fit it all in even...my backpack is heavy. We have jerky, power bars, dried fruit and some other stuff (and water of course). I thought about some of those dehydrated dinners but I don't have a way to heat water to add to them. I've been on plenty of long and short hikes but never backpacked...I wish I had the money to buy the spiffy gear for it, but I don't so I guess we'll take it slow. I didn't get a whistle but I have a bell, hope that will work. :/

Ahh, be careful! :) It was fun when I hiked up there with you two summers ago! It was exhausting, though, but I'd do it again! Have fun!

Hehe Rach you only hiked to Timp cave.......this is *much much much* farther, the the actual top of the mountain. ;)

The camera is packed of course with extra batteries.

Cinder & Smoke
08-02-2006, 10:35 PM
I bought some stuff,
I can't fit it all in even ...
my backpack is heavy.

I didn't get a whistle but I have a bell,
hope that will work.

And is Nebo wearing a pack?
Hope he packed "lighter" than you did! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

The BELL is fine -
hang it on your pack and it can take care of making the
Critter Alert Noises without you having to do anything!

Remember - you want the BELL to alert and scare off the Critters -
not your footsteps!

... this is *much much much* farther,
to the actual top of the mountain. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

Just reading about what you're doing makes me tired!

Be Careful - Be SAFE - and have a TON of PHUNN!!!

{{{Hugs}}}
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

Cinder & Smoke
08-03-2006, 09:02 PM
<worried>

Well, if it's not :eek: dark yet - it soon will be!

Hope our Lil Hikers and their Trusty Watch-Dawgs have found a safe campsite
for their Night on the Mountain!

Hope God turns the Stars on tonight and sends the WildLife off to bed early.

Sleep Tight, Kids!!

;)

DrKym
08-03-2006, 11:38 PM
I have also lit a candle to help light their way. I hope they had fun and will sleep safe and sound. the trip down should be lighter and quicker than the trip up! Anxiously awaiting an update!

RobiLee
08-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Amy, I'm thinking of you and praying that all is going well! I hope you are having a wonderful time. Please check in as soon as you get home ;).

{{HUGS}}...Robin

Cinder & Smoke
08-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Well ...

It's 6:45 PM Mountain Time in Utah ...

So - WHERE's the Kids & Dawgs??

Should we *worry* yet?

ramanth
08-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Thinking of you and Nebo! :)

I hope you guys had a nice and safe time.

DrKym
08-04-2006, 08:43 PM
It is nearly 9 here Phred, and dark and yep I for one am worrying. :(

Cinder & Smoke
08-04-2006, 10:30 PM
:eek:

Well ... it's now 9:30 PM Mountain Time in Utah ...

Let's hope they're all Safe & Sound!

Anyone have Amy's home phone number? It's time to check up on em!

Let's just hope they're too tired to check in.

Cinder & Smoke
08-05-2006, 01:46 AM
I think we're going to spend the night up there and come back on Friday ...

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/confused.gif

It's now SATURDAY (12:30 AM) in Utah ...

WHERE's Amy & Nebo??

Hello, God?

Please check on The Kids and Keep them Safe.
Ask Nebo to *BARK* Three Times if everything is OK.

/s/ Worried Phred & the Prayer Pups

wolf_Q
08-05-2006, 11:45 AM
We're home...and alive..barely lol. We made it down the trail around 5 on friday, by the time I got home and unpacked everything so it would dry (my backpack fell in the river :rolleyes: ) I was too tired to get on here, sorry. I'm very sore and it doesn't help that we have a ton of stairs in our house. Nebo is fine, he's just been sleeping in his bed since we came home. He didn't even act tired until we were 3/4 the way back down, he was trying to get Cisco to play at the top...crazy dog. Cisco had a harder time with it, but he's ok. I'll try to post pics soon, it was gorgeous.

Cinder & Smoke
08-05-2006, 11:57 AM
:)

THANKS, God! ;)

We're home ... and alive ... barely - lol.

... by the time I got home and unpacked everything so it would dry
(my backpack fell in the river :rolleyes: )
I was too tired to get on here, sorry.

I'm very sore ...
Nebo is fine, he's just been sleeping in his bed since we came home.

Wondering if YOU went in the river WITH the backpack?

Five Lashes with a wet sock for keeping us all WORRIED last night ...
but glad you had PHUNN!

;)
{{{Hugs}}}

wolf_Q
08-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks ;) I left my backpack on a rock while we rested by a waterfall and took pictures. When we went to leave my backpack was gone. At first I thought somebody took it but my friend spotted an item from it floating down the river. It had rolled a good 30 feet down a steep incline into the river and managed to get wedged under a smaller waterfall. I did fall into the river trying to get it so I was wet as well, and this made my backpack weigh even more..at least this was on the way back, not on the way up, we already froze during the night I can just imagine how fun that would have been with all my clothes and sleeping bag soaked. :o

RobiLee
08-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Yay! Glad you are back safe and sound. I have to admit that I was keeping an eye on this thread and worrying right along with Phred;). So, even though you got a little cold and wet, did you have a good time? I'm sure you learned somethings to do and not do. Do you think you will do more of this in the future. Sounds fun to me. Can't wait to see the pictures!

{{HUGS}}