PDA

View Full Version : Fish Bowl???

charmie
08-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Can anyone tell me what types of goldfish can be kept in a fish bowl? :)

Roxyluvsme13
08-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Goldfish can't be kept in a fish bowl.
Well, they can, and I had 2 very active ones for about 2 years, but that's probably why they died so quick. They need at least a 55 gallon.

Zippy
08-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Can anyone tell me what types of goldfish can be kept in a fish bowl? :)

No goldfish should be keep in a goldfish bowl.They need a big tank.55 gallon or more like Bri said.

charmie
08-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Thanks guys! Your replies really helped! :D

Flatcoatluver
08-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Goldfish kept in bowls don't even live longer the 6 months!! DO NOT GET A BOWL, THEY DIE FROM A SLOW PAINFUL DEATH OF SUFFOCATION. Belive me I did a project on goldfish bowls. Click on this link to read more about goldfish bowls

It is a common belief that goldfish belong in bowls or small tanks. It is simply not true. Goldfish get 8 inches long and can live to be 10 years old or more. Those kept in small bowls or tanks only live a few weeks or so and are suffering terribly the whole time. Those poor fish simply need more room. Fish waste turns into ammonia. The ammonia is building up in there and is burning their gills, eyes and skin. They slowly suffocate as their gills become more and more damaged and they develop other problems. Goldfish need 10 gallons per fish and good filtration to avoid all that. Even if your little tank has a filter in it there is no way it can keep up in that small of a tank. The less water, the more concentration of deadly ammonia there is and the less area there is for gasses to exchange on the surface. When the tank is an appropriate size the ammonia is consumed by the beneficial bacteria that grows in the filter pads and on surfaces in the tank.

charmie
08-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the replies! I'm really sorry, I never ever want to hurt a poor little goldfish, luckilly, I've NEVER had a goldfish before so I'll NEVER keep one in a bowl! Again I'm really sorry, if I offended anyone (or any fish)!!

IRescue452
08-02-2006, 09:33 AM
It's good that you asked. Now you know that the fish would suffer and we know that your intentions are good and you don't want to have a fish live like this. If only more people would ask first.

ILoveReptiles
08-02-2006, 10:15 AM
About the only fish that I know of which can live comfortably in a goldfish bowl is a Betta. And that's only because they frequently come to the surface and gulp a breath of air.

In the natural world, they stake out very small territories in flooded rice fields. The water gets pretty stagnant, so they've developed a sort of "book lung" (halfway between gills and lungs).

Goldfish need a filtered tank.

IRescue452
08-02-2006, 10:32 AM
http://www.bettadreams.com/ricepaddies.html

This small territory you speak of can be twenty gallons or more. The heavy load of live plants also keeps the water very freshlike and keeps nitrates down.

Christmas_Hamster
08-02-2006, 04:34 PM
You were very smart to ask first. Goldfish need lots of room. A good rule is 2.5 gallons per inch of full grown goldfish. ;)

Bettas are okay in goldfish bowls though ;)