PDA

View Full Version : Submissive urination

lerdi
03-19-2001, 06:11 AM
Belle, our Aussie, will be 3 next month. We adopted her from an Aussie rescue group at 10 months of age. She had been found as a small puppy with a crushed elbow & broken leg on a busy street corner with kids throwing rocks & sticks at her. She went through 2-3 homes before the rescue group took her. With this background, I can understand her submissiveness and urination, but after 2 years, it is getting worse instead of better. I'm thinking a lot of it is stemming from our new cat who has been with us about 3 months.

When Belle came to live with us, I had an older Aussie and cat. My older dog died 8 months ago and the cat died in December. Belle was jealous of both, but took them pretty much in stride. Neither of those two were demanding of physical attention; in fact, the cat, who was "elderly", didn't especially want any. Now my new 8 mo. cat is active and in my lap and in my bed. Belle and Fred get along famously, chasing and wrestling and playing like both were cats or dogs, rather than one of each.

Belle is extremely "emotional" when it comes to people - myself or any others, and almost always the urination is part of it. If we are separated a few feet apart by a glass door and I then come through the door, her greeting is overwhelming, although she hasn't seen me in hours. You can imagine what happens when it has truly has been hours. When company comes, I have to put her out or leash her, as her demand for attention knows no bounds, and "non-dog" people as well as dog lovers get really tired of her. I think doing this and giving the cat free rein is affecting her. But what can I do?

When it comes time to groom, bathe or anything else, all of which she LOVES, it is preceded by the urination and often a submissive position which makes any of those things very difficult.

I have read numerous articles on submissive urination and tips on handling it, such as no direct eye contact, getting down on the dog's level, petting on the chin rather than the top of the head, ignoring her till she calms down, etc. And for awhile, I thought we were making progress, but now the problem is not only back, but worse. It has gotten to the point that if I call her over to pet her or even give her a treat, she drags her bottom submissively and half the time she urinates.

I need HELP, and help big time. I don't think this is an ordinary case and I'm hoping she doesn't need a behaviorist because not only can I not afford one, there are none in this small town. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RachelJ
03-19-2001, 10:45 AM
I thought I was going to have some advice but after reading your post, Belle's situation sounds more complicated.

What I have found helps with my Hannah (who does the submissive urination despite the fact that she is an alpha dog) is for people to ignore her when they first come in and not to make too much of a deal over her. Also when we know we are going to have people coming over to make sure she has had an opportunity to "go potty" before visitors come. I have asked my husband to only pet her when she is on a cleanable curface, i.e. kitchen floor or tile entry or when outside. Hannah was raised from a pup and has never been mistreated. She is five years old and it's a trait that we've been able to mitigate by the above tactics but not eliminate.

lerdi
03-23-2001, 05:48 AM
Rachel, Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you but this is a hectic household. Thanks for the input. I have talked to a fellow who is studying animal behavior and tried to follow a couple of his suggestions, but but I couldn't even implement them. I assume that these techniques are designed to affect her over-all emotional state, and not anything in particular in and of themselves. He is coming out here Sunday to observe her, and perhaps I can find out more about it all. If I should learn anything spectacular to share with you or others with this problem, I will do so.

RachelJ
03-23-2001, 08:36 AM
Thanks Lerdi. I'm sure there are a number of us who would benefit from any observations.

One thing I forgot to mention about my Hannah is that she doesn't do it with me. Guess she feels her status outweighs mine.
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/rolleyes.gif

tatsxxx11
03-23-2001, 03:49 PM
How you must love little Belle. Many would neither have the time nor patience to deal with such a frustrating problem. How lucky for you that the gentleman animal behaviorist is able to come out to your home and evaluate Belle. Considering her very horrifying start in life, I am sure the underlying behavorial and emotional issues are deep and complicated. Bless you for being such a loving, caring mom. And I am so sorry for the recent loss of your aussie and kitty. Please update us, OK? Love Sandra