PDA

View Full Version : FIV+ cat in NJ needs help fast

doolittleky
07-31-2006, 02:17 PM
I got this in an email from a group I belong to and thought I would pass it along in case anyone can help

PLEASE FORWARD.
DO NOT REPLY TO SENDER
SEE CONTACT INFO BELOW

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 1:23 PM
Subject: [NJCare] URGENT! Abandoned Whitey Needs a Home NOW: Matawan

Hi all, Please call Kim ASAP at 732- 566-9219. if you can help with
WHitey. I am not the contact. This is in Matawan, NJ

Whitey was a pretty housecat that was abandoned at my apartment
complex by a family. We have been trying to get him all year. He
spent a miserable cold winter outside and I'm shocked he survived. I
have seen him getting into fights and he is never the winner. The
last time this happened, I ran outside to try to break it up and to
help him but he ran away. I noticed a bad smell coming from him as
he sped off and he looked very thin.

We have seen him limping terribly.

Kim, my apartment manager is trying to do a TNR program here and can
use any help with that (traps ,etc) She finally got Whitey and took
him to the vet yesterday.

Whitey had two toes removed due to a bad infection. He was neutered,
given all his shots, etc and the infection is being treated. He
tested negative for .leukemia but tested positive fro feline aids.

The vet said he can love a long and healthy life but only if he is
kept indoors, in a safe, healthy and comfortable environment. No cat
fights, bitter winters, etc. So Kim has him in an empty apartment
hoping one of you can take Whitey in before her boss finds out or a
tenant needs the apartment.

If not, Whitey goes out into the streets again this week.

He is sweet, very pretty but you can see the sadness in his eyes at
what he has gone through.He needs to know love and comfort again.

PLEASE HELP WHITEY. Call Kim at 732-566-9219.

Lizzie
07-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Melissa - before I spend a lot of money on a long-distance phone call to say I might be able to squeeze him in my home with my other FIV+ boys, I need to know the chances of the rescue organization arranging an across-the-country trip for him at no cost to me. Is this feasible? Would they be willing to organize it do you think? While I know I can take care of him once here, I'm very strapped for both money and time at present. Do you have any experience with the group and how much they can do?

doolittleky
07-31-2006, 05:21 PM
I could try and contact the trucker driver couple Amanda and Keith to see if possibly they could or if they couldn't knew someone that could. They were the ones that transported Caspurr and Purrl to me from Utah to Ky where I live. They are great peopel.
Melissa

doolittleky
07-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Pm me your phone number in case I get ahold of them beofre I can get back to a computer. I don't have one at home and I don't get to my friend's on a daily basis because I have been busy

kuhio98
07-31-2006, 05:29 PM
I have not had any dealings with these folks, but I found their message on the Pet Loss (http://p103.ezboard.com/fpetlossfrm4.showMessage?topicID=185.topic) message board. They may also be of help.

Teamshope
(7/8/06 7:48 pm)
Reply Re: Can You Ever Help Transport?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are over the road drivers/owner operators and we travel all over the country. We'd be happy to help. As long as we have a place to park..like a truckstop or rest area..we can take a pet wherever we are heading. We're found at [email protected], ref this website..God Bless

doolittleky
07-31-2006, 05:32 PM
thanks Kuhio, that is a great reference for anyone who might need it!
Melissa

catmandu
07-31-2006, 05:35 PM
We are all crossing our paws and praying for Whitey to get a Furr Ever Home.

Lizzie
07-31-2006, 06:20 PM
I pm'd my phone numbers and will call the number in the first post when I get home tonight. I would be strange to have a white cat when I've always specialized in blackies.

doolittleky
07-31-2006, 06:30 PM
Great! I will try and contact my truck driver friends tonight when I get home from the vet. I will let you know when I hear something.
melissa

Lizzie
07-31-2006, 10:10 PM
I left a message on the answering machine to the number given on the post. Let's hope I got it right and Kim gets the message.

Lizzie
08-01-2006, 07:50 PM
I didn't get a call from Kim today at work or home so I just left another message. I also left an email address in case they didn't want to call long-distance. Now I'm worried about this cat. If they've found him a home, that's great, but I really want to know what is happening.

Lizzie
08-03-2006, 12:05 AM
I wonder how many rescue organizations operate in this way. I've called Kim twice. Melissa has called her also. I've emailed the person who sent the original post. We've heard nothing back at all. All I really hope is that they found a local home for Whitey. He's going to stay at the back of my mind for some time, worrying that they already put him back on the street and don't like to tell us. What a shame!

doolittleky
08-03-2006, 02:33 PM
I called the number again today and left another message. It burns me up when you try to help someone and they don't even reply to your offer. I think it is very rude of them not to at least let us know they no longer need help. I will worry about Whitey from now on.
Melissa

Lizzie
08-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Mea culpa! I got an email today from the woman who posted the original mail. She said that Kim was thinking about keeping Whitey and probably hadn't got back in touch because she wasn't sure what she was going to do. At least we now know he might have a home, and they know I will step in if needed.

doolittleky
08-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Thank God I was so worried that they had put Whitey back on the street. Thanks for letting me know.
Melissa