PDA

View Full Version : Swollen eye? *Need Help*

Flatcoatluver
07-31-2006, 01:13 PM
I woke up this mourning and my bottom eyelid on my right eye is so pink and swollen. I can’t even open my right eye. It is really painful and I can’t even touch it. What should I do? What could of happened to make my eyelid so swollen?

Karen
07-31-2006, 01:17 PM
If it feels hot, you've got some infection - infected bug bite maybe?

If it is just swollen, an allergy will do that, some bit of something got into that eye and poof!

Put some ice on it, that'll help reduce the swelling, otherwise, a doctor visit's in order.

Flatcoatluver
07-31-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't know if it really feels hot. It could be my imagination but it feels warm. If I just take like tylenol or something will that take away the puffing and the pain? I have to go to work and I don't really want to go to work with a huge eye.

beeniesmom
07-31-2006, 01:23 PM
Aspirin, not tylenol will help with the swelling and also if it's an infection.
It may be an allergy or even... poison Ivy. It's been going around a lot.
Don't rub it, put some ice on it and keep it closed.
If it isn't normal by tonight, get a drs appointment.

Dorothy39
07-31-2006, 01:37 PM
I am sorry that you are experiencing the symtoms posted above.

Does your right eye have any discharge? I assume not. Have you tried "flushing " it with cold water? Perhaps there is something in your eye!!!!

Karen posted the ice pack, which I second the motion on. I would also call and make an appointment with your Doctor as soon as you can be seen. I'm so sorry that you have to go to work with this discomfort. Can you see a Doctor today?, ( take a leave from work?)

Keep us posted Flatcoatlover.

RedHedd
07-31-2006, 05:24 PM
If it's an infection you need to see an eye doctor ASAP! Those things run like wildfire in the eyes and you can go blind if it's not treated immediately - I'm NOT kidding! I almost lost my eyesight a number of years ago because of an eye infection. Be careful!

Flatcoatluver
07-31-2006, 07:40 PM
Omg are you kidding me! My mom said it's pink eye and it will go away in a couple days and if it doesn't then we will go to the dr. I took some tylenol and I iced my eye. That didn't help much. I ended up takeing the night off so I don't have much human contact in the next couple days.

Craftlady
07-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Pink eye is very CONTAGIOUS and can spread to the other eye and anyone else you come in contact. It will NOT go away on it's own.
You could call the dr's office explain to them you have the pink eye and maybe they will call the rx into the pharmacy for you. (eye drops or ointment). When I've had pink eye, I just call the office and they call it in for me.

Flatcoatluver
07-31-2006, 07:59 PM
Pink eye is very CONTAGIOUS and can spread to the other eye and anyone else you come in contact. It will NOT go away on it's own.
You might be able to call the dr's office explain to them you have the pink eye and maybe they will call the rx into the pharmacy for you. (eye drops or oiniment). When I've had pink eye, I just call the office and they call it in for me.
ok thank you, I will try that.
ETA: looking at all of the pink eyes on yahoo images my eyes look nothing like that. Will that happen if I don't get medicine?

Craftlady
07-31-2006, 08:00 PM
Your welcome :)

I_luv_rusty
07-31-2006, 08:10 PM
Something like that happened to my friend.. She got a bug bite in her eye then it turned into pink eye the next morning and her eyes was all swollen and stuff. But I don't know if thats whats happened to you. :o

Vela
07-31-2006, 10:03 PM
It could be what's called a sty, basically an ingrown eyelash. It is painful and sore but usually warm compresses help and it will resolve on it's own most of the time. If it doesn't, of course, go see the doctor.

Soapets
07-31-2006, 10:29 PM
I work for an eye doctor, and have a few more questions for you. How is your vision in that eye? Is it the eye LID, or is the eyeball itself involved? If it is the eye LID only, it may be a chalazion or sty, and hot compresses will be more effective than cold compresses. If it is painful and it is a chalazion or sty, it is most likely infected and you may need to be on an oral antibiotic as well. It could also be an insect bite or sting, or an infection in the tear duct, depending on where it is centered, etc.

If the eye itself, especially the cornea, is involved, you need an appointment with an eye doctor ASAP to help determine the cause, and the correct treatment. The vision will most likely be affected if it is an infection involving the cornea (the clear part of the eye in front of the iris and the pupil). Those can be VERY serious, and need evaluation and treatment quickly.

"Pink eye", which is an infection of the conjunctiva (called conjunctivitis) can be viral, bacterial, or allergic, and the cause determines the treatment. But it usually doesn't cause just the eye LID to be swollen and painful. The white part of the eye is usually involved, and the lid linings, etc. If you haven't been seen by an eye doctor for this problem, they won't call in a medication prescription for you without seeing it. They can tell whether it is viral, allergic, or bacterial by looking at it through a special instrument called a biomicroscope. A regular medical doctor will often misdiagnose and/or mistreat these, because they aren't trained to distinguish between the different causes of the problem.

Anyway, it would be best to see an eye doctor for the problem and get it properly diagnosed and treated. Please let us know what you find out.

Deb

Flatcoatluver
08-01-2006, 11:57 AM
I work for an eye doctor, and have a few more questions for you. How is your vision in that eye? Is it the eye LID, or is the eyeball itself involved? If it is the eye LID only, it may be a chalazion or sty, and hot compresses will be more effective than cold compresses. If it is painful and it is a chalazion or sty, it is most likely infected and you may need to be on an oral antibiotic as well. It could also be an insect bite or sting, or an infection in the tear duct, depending on where it is centered, etc.

Thank you for you help. I think most likely it's sty, it's just the eye lid and it does hurt. I will have my mom make a Dr. appointment.

sammy101
08-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Thank you for you help. I think most likely it's sty, it's just the eye lid and it does hurt. I will have my mom make a Dr. appointment.

i had a sty last christmas.You should go to the doctor and get a perscription.You can buy some stuff at the drug store but that wont cure it.

buttercup132
08-01-2006, 12:25 PM
I always get sty's stupid things.
But I never get a prescription for it:confused:

sammy101
08-01-2006, 12:27 PM
I always get sty's stupid things.
But I never get a prescription for it:confused:

I asked a pharmacist about it and thats what she recommended for me anyways. Mine was very painful though,and i never had one and havent gotten one since.