PDA

View Full Version : Ripley pictures and an update

jazzcat
07-31-2006, 10:46 AM
Ripley has been feeling okay and even has very spunky moments. I caught a few on camera. He hasn't needed any sub-q fluids since the first time back in April and he's maintaining his weight well. The only issue we've been having is that he has become extremely whiney and extremely jealous of us giving Rocky attention. It's so bad that he saw me holding Rocky in the bathroom and hugging on him so Ripley backed up to the wall and tried to spray. Luckily he had just come from the litter box so nothing came out. Does kidney failure affect the brain??? :rolleyes:
On with the pictures.

Here's the old man showing the scratching post who is boss.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/1-2006/be9.jpg

Then he looked at me as to say "you're next!".
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/1-2006/be8.jpg
When he was young I was his scratching posts - I have the scars to prove it.

Here he is showing Rocky who's boss.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/1-2006/be10.jpg
Actually Ripley never wins, he is too slow but Rocky pretends that Ripley is winning out of respect for the big old guy.

Finally, here is asleep on the window table by my desk and Rocky wanted to sleep with him. As soon as Rocky curled up by him Ripley whined and left.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/1-2006/be5.jpg

That is pretty much how things are with Ripley.

Anyone have any suggestion on how to handle this jealousy issue?

krazyaboutkatz
07-31-2006, 11:38 AM
Lori, I'm so glad to hear that Ripley is doing well.:) As for the jealousy issue, you may just need to spend more one on one time with him is a separate room. Is Ripley the alpha cat? My Storm who is also a senior kitty and the alpha cat is also very jealous and I just have to make sure to give him plenty of one on one time. I think that Storm just likes to make sure that the others know that he's still the top cat. Good luck and please continue to keep us updated.:)

shais_mom
07-31-2006, 12:04 PM
great pics Lori -
no advice tho :(
hugs to both of you!

catnapper
07-31-2006, 12:21 PM
Rocky looks great - nobody could tell me he's an old guy. He has cattitude written all over his face! MEOW!

As for jealousy, no idea. Let me know what you find out because I could use some solutions for Allen.

jenluckenbach
07-31-2006, 12:24 PM
I am glad Ripley is feeling well. And I would think that quality time with Ripley should help him to feel less jealous. (maybe not totally, but it can't hurt)

jazzcat
07-31-2006, 12:54 PM
I have been trying to give Ripley as much time, if not more, than Rocky but it just doesn't seem to be helping. It's not that he hates Rocky, I can tell Ripley likes him as much as he can possible like another cat (which isn't a lot) it just seems to be he doesn't want Rocky getting any attention from me. Richard can love all over Rocky and Rip doesn't care but if watches and follows me everywhere to see what I'm doing with Rocky. He has no problems with me giving Jazz, Scout or Rumor attention but they are all females.

Maybe it is an alpha cat issue and he is threatened by Rocky even though Rocky has never tried to be the alpha. I hadn't really thought of that. Guess I'll just have to give Ripley double or triple time and Rocky and I'll will have to sneak around, LOL. Rocky really demands attention and love, he is such a baby. He wants to be held on his back in my arms while I scratch his chin and stomach.

catlover4ever
07-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Oh Ripley, I have a girlfriend for you...she's a little older than you but does age really matter? I think you and Tucker would get along great. ;) ;)

Lori, I too vote for the more one on one time and understand just where you are coming from. I go through it everyday with Smokey, he can not stand Gracie or Gabriel and gets very hurt and upset if they even look at him...not to mention getting attention from me...if Smokey see's them getting some attention he snubs me.

doolittleky
07-31-2006, 02:41 PM
I am glad Ripley is feeling much better. I absolutely love this first two pics of Ripley standing holding the scratching post! So adorable!
Melissa

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-31-2006, 04:00 PM
Sorry I don't have any ideas on the jealousy issue, just wanted to let you know how happy I am that Ripley is doing so well! Yippeee!!! Way to go, Ripley!!! :D

Lori, I find it extremely interesting that Ripley is so jealous of your time with Rocky. If I remember right, Ripley really wanted nothing to do with you for many years, right? Maybe in the last few years he's come to realize what a good meowmy he has in you and now he doesn't want to share. Senility I think it's called. ;) :D

jazzcat
07-31-2006, 04:10 PM
Lori, I find it extremely interesting that Ripley is so jealous of your time with Rocky. If I remember right, Ripley really wanted nothing to do with you for many years, right? Maybe in the last few years he's come to realize what a good meowmy he has in you and now he doesn't want to share. Senility I think it's called. ;) :D
Senility, that made me smile. It does have it's perks. ;)
You are right, Ripley had a love/hate relationship with me for most his life. I think he just saw me as a toy or prey to attack and then someone to run to when the thunder scared him. That was most of his first 10 years of life but since we've introduced the other cats he finally started to see what a cat/human relationship should be and he has become more loving and affectionate and much less independent. Rocky and Rumor have especially helped to change him... or it's the senility. :)

momcat
07-31-2006, 05:13 PM
Ripley really looks great but he's so gorgeous anyway. Since Groucho is an only child I really can't offer any thoughts on the sibling rivalry. But is was so nice to see handsome Ripley again!

catmandu
07-31-2006, 06:14 PM
We are glad that Ripley is doing well.
As a Guardian with a Hotel of Senior Kittyzens I am pleased that Ripley is still showing so much spirit.
Except fot the Kitten Trio they are all Senios here now.
I hope that I can help them when thier health goes, to help them live and enjoy thier lives as long as possible.
We love Ripley, and we pray there theres a lot of life left in him.