PDA

View Full Version : My brother died today.

caseysmom
07-30-2006, 11:59 PM
I went to my sisters house today and my cell phone was rining so my daughter answered it and the lady on the other end said I need to talk to your Mom this is an emergency.

My 22 year old neice could not wake her father this morning. My brother was only 51 and had no signifigant health problems. They think it was sleep apnea and he suffocated. I didn't know that he needed a machine and his insurance would not pay for it.

My sister in law, his wife died 2 and a half years ago and 44 from cancer. Now my 22 year old neice has no parents. Not only that but they lived in squaler, I was never invited over, functions were always at my house but I didn't realize it was so bad. The medical examiner made me swear my neice would not live there before it was cleaned, she will be living with me. The problem is she is very socially retarded. I told my girls they must help her through this.

The good news is I have gained a precious lovely kitty. He also had a white westie named Harry. My brothers best friend offered to take Harry, he has a dog that Harry gets along with.

Here are some pics of my new addition

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/spumoni/newkitty001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/spumoni/newkitty003.jpg

She has totally made herself at home. In all the commotion I did not get her name. I don't think she was treated all that great, she was mostly kept outside. That will change she will not be allowed outside. I don't even know if she has been vaccinated, my husband will get a flea collar on his way home tonight, my dogs are flea free and I don't want a flea problem.

She is the sweetest kitty.

luvofallhorses
07-31-2006, 12:01 AM
oh god, I am so sorry. :( (((HUGS)))

congrats on your new addition! what a pretty kitty.

caseysmom
07-31-2006, 12:04 AM
I forgot to mention that the dogs and her totally get along thank god. I will try to get some pictures of them all together. All the appropriate behind sniffing went off without a hitch.

mrspunkysmom
07-31-2006, 12:04 AM
I am so sorry for your loss.

anne

Almita
07-31-2006, 12:05 AM
oh my god i'm so sorry! ((HUGS)) :(

glad though with the dogs getting along and the new addition

horse_lover
07-31-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss! I know how it feels! Trust me I lost my dad almost a year ago. I will keep you in my prayers!

DrKym
07-31-2006, 12:07 AM
My heart goes out to your niece and to you. If you want to PM me please feel free to do so. If I can be of any help at all do not hesitate to call. As most people here already have the office line I will post it 618-208-7702.
Your shock and grief must be unbearable. My prayers and condolences.

caseysmom
07-31-2006, 12:07 AM
Thanks everyone. This just scared me so much, I told the medical examiner I would like to know for sure what happened. I know he had very high blood pressure and had seen the doctor for chest pains so it could have been a lot of things. His job was high pressure for low money and he had a lot of depression, I think from raising an autistic child. That child is now 25 and in a good care home.

shais_mom
07-31-2006, 12:10 AM
Please accept my deepest sympathy on the loss of your brother but BLESS YOU for taking in your neice!
What a precious Kitty.
hugs on the way.

Corinna
07-31-2006, 12:13 AM
Hugs to you and all the family.

caseysmom
07-31-2006, 12:16 AM
Here are some more pics with me and all the fur kids. Mind my fat body in a bath robe, its been a rough day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/spumoni/newkitty011.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/spumoni/newkitty010.jpg

AdoreMyDogs
07-31-2006, 12:17 AM
I am so very sorry.

Karen
07-31-2006, 01:34 AM
Oh, dear. Our prayers are with you, and the whole family.

Ginger's Mom
07-31-2006, 03:00 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers will go out for your whole family.
Cute pictures of your with the furkids. I hope all continues to go well for them.

Killearn Kitties
07-31-2006, 04:47 AM
What a terribly sad story. I am so sorry.

All the best to you all. I'm glad that the furry introductions went well. What a cutie your new kitty is.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-31-2006, 05:04 AM
I am so sorry :(

chocolatepuppy
07-31-2006, 05:27 AM
I'm so sorry about your brother. :( I hope your niece does well with you and your daughters help.

jenluckenbach
07-31-2006, 05:48 AM
OMG! I am SOOO sorry. How shocking news like this must be. :( Many prayers for you neice and your whole family. And congratulations on your new addition.

Pam
07-31-2006, 06:20 AM
My sincere condolences to you and your family. Bless you for helping your niece and this little kitty to have a place to live. I am hoping the dogs will be rolling out the welcome mat too for their new kitty sib. My brother-in-law was found dead one Saturday morning years ago by my sister-in-law in the recliner chair in the living room. She thought he simply fell asleep downstairs and never came up to bed. :eek:

Oh and by the way you are beautiful, bathrobe or not! :p It's nice to put a face to a name. I love the look you are giving Casey in the second picture! LOL!

Chilli
07-31-2006, 06:54 AM
How terrible to lose a brother so suddenly, I'm so sorry. :( My dad has high blood pressure and that sleeping problem, and I sometimes fear of such a thing happening..
I am so glad you opened your home to the cat in need.

Daisy and Delilah
07-31-2006, 07:06 AM
Oh my goodness. Your whole life has changed in an instant. This is absolutely devastating and I'm so sorry. Best of luck with everything. The pictures are adorable. You look adorable and so do the furkids. You'll all be in my thoughts and prayers.

Randi
07-31-2006, 07:29 AM
I'm so sorry to hear you have lost your brother - it is always very shocking when someone close dies so suddenly. :( My thoughts are with you and the whole family.

Glad to hear you'll be looking after your niece, and you're taking the kitty - the pictures says it all. :)

Queen of Poop
07-31-2006, 07:59 AM
So very sorry for your loss. Happy for your gain of your new family members.

elizabethann
07-31-2006, 08:08 AM
Oh my goodness. I am sorry for your loss. Please take care.

zoey
07-31-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm so sorry you lost your brother. It sounds like lot of life changes for you right now. ..::Hugs and prayers::.. coming your way.

ramanth
07-31-2006, 08:25 AM
I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother. Such a shocking thing to happen. :(

My dad has sleep apnea and he would stop breathing sometimes in his sleep. He was recently officially diagnosed and has the breathing machine.

Bless you for taking in your neice and the kitty. *HUGS*

caseysmom
07-31-2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks everyone. I didn't sleep very well last night. I keep thinking about all the horrible practicalities...like will my neice have medical insurance, what will we do with his house. Its terrible but all those things have to be dealt with.

I now have a totally dependent adult that doesn't work and has school money due and have to bury my brother. Not to mention losing my sibling. I lost my mother 5 years ago, my dad 10 years ago, now this. It is me and my sister left. She has a lot of money but no desire to help unfortunately, I love my sister but she is pretty cold that way.

I hope my neice becomes functional at some point and I am going to have to explain to her that how her and my brother lived was not normal, people don't live like that. Her mother was the same way, they were both slobs and now my neice has grown up with that.

Alysser
07-31-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm really sorry. :( ((HUGS)) What a sweet new addition, it's so nice of you to take the little kittie in in this hard time. I hope things work out with your niece.

moosmom
07-31-2006, 08:56 AM
Caseysmom,

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( What a beautiful kitty he is!! BTW, flea collars don't work. You might want to bring him to the vet for a flea dip.

caseysmom
07-31-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks Donna...my husband brough home some of that spot treatment for the neck but I was afraid to use it. I don't see any fleas on her though she is actually pretty clean.

She has an old injury to her ear looks like from a fight, its all healed up but a bit deformed. She has a spay scar I can feel.

I need to take her to the vet I just have to pay for burying my brother this week and getting his daughter her own insurance etc...I don't even know how to do that since her car is in my brothers name...its so confusing.

caseysmom
07-31-2006, 09:01 AM
Here is a close up of her

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/spumoni/newkitty006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/spumoni/newkitty009.jpg

BOBS DAD
07-31-2006, 09:06 AM
I am very sorry to be reading this. I hope everyone can get through it as best they can. I am really happy that you will be taking in your niece and giving her a chance to survive her loss and perhaps better her life - long term. Good luck and God Bless!

dan

Zippy
07-31-2006, 09:12 AM
I am so sorry about your brother :(

BitsyNaceyDog
07-31-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm so sorry.

You're new kitty is beautiful.

catnapper
07-31-2006, 09:18 AM
I am truly sorry. You seem to have a long road ahead of you. That poor girl... she's the victim in all this. I know you will do everything possible to help her.

PS: what a gorgeous addition to your animal family.

Vela
07-31-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope little miss kitty fits in well with the family and adjusts without too much trouble. It's hard to lose loved ones. My best wishes during this difficult time.

caseysmom
07-31-2006, 09:46 AM
This kitty is so affectionate. My RB gigi was more standofish, this kitty came in my bed in the middle of the night mashing potatoes. When I come to the computer she jumps up on the chair next to my and puts her paws up to my mouth, she is the sweetest thing.

catmandu
07-31-2006, 09:57 AM
Thats Is A Very Sad Way For Getting A Cat.
Please Accept Our Condolences On Your Loss.
I Know Your Brother Is Pleased That His Friend Is Fitting In With You, And Is Pleased That She Has A Furr Ever Home.
And He Will Thank You When You Meet Again.
One Fine Day.

Killearn Kitties
07-31-2006, 09:58 AM
That is so nice! I'm glad your new kitty is being so loving. :)

cyber-sibes
07-31-2006, 09:58 AM
So sorry for your loss, how sad. God bless you all. Pretty kitty - it's so sweet that all your furkids get along well.

gini
07-31-2006, 09:59 AM
What a horrible shock for you in addition to very sudden changes in your life.

It just seems to me that God knows your niece and this beautiful kitty need an angel right now - to make their life better. And God has chosen you.

God love you for taking your niece in - she is on the threshold of a much better life and that kitty is already saying thank you to you.

I am so sorry for your loss.

caseysmom
07-31-2006, 10:00 AM
This kitty just darted out my front door, luckily I caught her. She is a sneaky one.

jazzcat
07-31-2006, 10:04 AM
I'm so sorry about your loss. As I was reading I was just thinking of how your family's world as been turned on end. You have so much to get straightened out about your niece. When my mom died two years ago I remember the people at the funeral home were able to answer my questions on how to take care of her business. It was simple things since my father is still living but they had so much information. Maybe whoever handles your brother's funeral can at least point you in the right direction for your niece.

Your new kitty is beautiful. I'm so glad she is already fitting in and affectionate. As for her fleas, if you use Advantage on the dogs you can use a smaller dosage of their stuff on the cat. There are several multicat owners who do that here and can probably give you the correct dosage size for her. Please don't use the over the counter flea stuff, like by Hartz. I've heard horrible stuff about those products making cats and dogs very sick.

K9soul
07-31-2006, 10:04 AM
My deepest sympathies to you and your family :(. Bless your heart for all you are doing to help out. I enjoyed the pictures, it looks like Casey and Bubba are doing great at accepting their new family member :)

CountryWolf07
07-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Very sorry to hear about your loss.. He is in a better place.. keeping you in my thoughts!

lv4dogs
07-31-2006, 11:26 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. {{{hugs}}} Your niece will be in my thoughts, as well as the whole family.

Rachel
07-31-2006, 11:26 AM
CaseysMom, You are a beautiful person, inside and out. I am so sorry for your loss and the way it has turned your world upside down, but your attitude and approach to the situation will stand you in good stead. Take it one day at a time and one problem at a time.

krazyaboutkatz
07-31-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your brothers passing.:( Your new kitty is gorgeous and I'm so glad that she's fitting in nicely. I hope that your niece will also settle into your household. Please take care. I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

flamepony12
07-31-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( ((((HUGS)))) Prayers going out to you and your loved ones.

Your new addition is beautiful- I'm very glad to hear that she's fitting in nicely. (:

momoffuzzyfaces
07-31-2006, 12:38 PM
Gosh, I'm so sorry!!! I can't even imagine life without my brother.
Lots of prayers on the way for you, your niece and your entire family! :(

anna_66
07-31-2006, 01:00 PM
My most sincere condolences to you.

Flatcoatluver
07-31-2006, 01:03 PM
I am so a sorry for you family's loss. (((HUGS))) :(

Your new addition is very beautiful.

Kirsten
07-31-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm very sorry about your loss. My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

Kirsten

beeniesmom
07-31-2006, 01:24 PM
I am very sorry for your loss.

Danegirl2208
07-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Oh, i am so sorry for your loss hun..i'll keep your family in my thoughts and prayers

Rachel
07-31-2006, 03:48 PM
I had to come back again to look at the pictures of you with your fur kids and the new addition. Those two pictures speak volumes. I just love the different emotions that are being exchanged.

My Peanuts
07-31-2006, 06:03 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. That must have been a terrible shock.

Your new kitty is beautiful. I hope she can bring you a little bit of comfort.

dukedogsmom
07-31-2006, 06:28 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. Very sad all the way around. The kitty is a doll. Maybe it will help to cheer you a little. You have all of our support here any time it's needed.

kb2yjx
07-31-2006, 06:32 PM
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother.

trayi52
07-31-2006, 06:46 PM
So sorry to hear of your brother's passing. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Willie

Catty1
07-31-2006, 07:01 PM
I do sympathize...I lost my sister in April, though we knew it would happen at some point. But your loss is so sudden!

I am so sorry to read about this.

And Jazzcat is right - the staff at the funeral home are a wealth of information. They can either help directly, or send you to the right place, or both. They may even have some ideas for your niece.

Hugs and prayers to all of you

gemini9961
07-31-2006, 08:02 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. :(

Cincy'sMom
07-31-2006, 08:09 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I lost my younger brother very suddendly a year ago last week, so I know a lot of what you are feeling. My thoughts are with you.

AbbyMom
07-31-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

Thank you for being caring and taking in your niece and a new furbaby.

caseysmom
08-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Thank you so much everyone, you don't know what it means to come here and read all these kind words.

My brothers church has been amazing, actually he was going to 2 churches, sort of transitioning to a new church for their singles club. They came over last night and 10 of them helped me clean that house, it is in tip top shape now, even the minister was vacuuming. They all said how much they loved my brother, he played the base in both churches and fixed anyones appliances as needed no charge.

My neice is staying with the ministers family since it is right down the street from her house and everyone is stopping by.

Update on "potter", his dogs name is harry and the cat is potter...I can't stand that name for some reason but I have tried using it, he doesn't come to the name anyway. The kitty is actually a boy with underdeveloped genetals, my neice wasn't sure of vaccinations. I will call my brothers best friend he may have some veterinary info. He does have a runny eye that my neice says he always has had that I want to get looked at.

My sister helped with the buriel expenses so that helped a lot.

pitc9
08-01-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

petslover
08-01-2006, 09:24 AM
I am really sorry to hear about your brother. I can't imagine the pain you are going through right now and how your world has turned around..

Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

You have a heart of gold to be taking in your niece and animals.

-hugs-

dappledoxie
08-01-2006, 09:33 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. I know you must miss him very very very much.

I know how your niece is feeling, I'm 22 as well and my mom passed away last October and my dad passed away on July 15th due to injuries from a car accident he had on the 11th. I haven't said much about it here, it just hurts me so bad because loosing my dad has also opened the wound back up from loosing my momma. I miss them both so bad. My mom had cancer and she was only 64, my dad was only 65.

I just hope your niece is ok and I know everyone will be helping her, I'll be praying for her and the family. I'm so glad to hear that the house is cleaned for her, that's wonderful, my dad's church family were also so amazing and kind to me. It's great you have them there for you guys.

caseysmom
08-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Dappledoxie, I am so sorry about your parents, my heart goes out to you. It was hard losing my parents at 40. Makes you feel kind of empty doesn't it? I can't imagine at your age. I know my niece is scared and I just keep telling her I will protect her and she won't be alone.

Jadapit
08-01-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss! :( The kitty is so cute maybe he can help you through this sad time. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
(((Hugs)))

todd
08-02-2006, 01:00 AM
sorry for your loss

dappledoxie
08-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Dappledoxie, I am so sorry about your parents, my heart goes out to you. It was hard losing my parents at 40. Makes you feel kind of empty doesn't it? I can't imagine at your age. I know my niece is scared and I just keep telling her I will protect her and she won't be alone.

Thank you, yeah it does, I feel like a shell of who I was or something lately. Everything seems so different, with my mom, I lived with her and it was hard to come home with her not there. It's hitting me a lot more with my dad because everytime the phone rings I think it's him, or when I check the answering machine I feel like he'll be there.

finn's mom
08-02-2006, 09:00 AM
What a terrible loss for everyone involved. I hope your niece will be all right. She's gone through a lot at such a young age.

As for the pets, I love the names, **especially** Potter! It's so unique. Maybe not when teamed with Harry, but, still. ;) It sounds like Potter's really settled in, he's beautiful. I hope Harry's doing good, too.

I'll be thinking of you all.

caseysmom
08-02-2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks everyone. I talked to my brothers best friend last night. Harry is doing fine and is due for his annual vet appt. so his friend said he would take care of that.

We are just taking things one day at a time.

Lori Jordan
08-02-2006, 10:12 AM
I am so sorry for your loss,I truely am it is hard to loose people you love.I have lost all my brothers myself,In time you will heal,it takes alot out of a person you will never forget your brother but knowing he is at peace now sometimes is a relief,Your Poor Neice i feel for her I hope all the best to the family if you ever need to chat im here for you!

KYS
08-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Very sorry, my thoughts are with you and yours.
(((HUGS)))

caseysmom
08-02-2006, 11:36 AM
I washed my brothers uniforms this morning, his company rents them and asked for them back. It was actually kind of soothing.

Anita Cholaine
08-02-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm really sorry for your loss... Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers((((hugs))))

loveallfurryfriends
10-12-2007, 09:28 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. You are doing a good thing for your niece & the furbabies. You will be in my prayers. Your niece is very lucky that she has you and your husband. Again I am so sorry for the loss of your brother. <<<<HUGS>>>>> go out to you and your family.

caseysmom
10-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Thank you loveallfurryfriends, this happened 14 months ago, its ironic that you bumped this up just this week the probate officially ended and the estate was closed.

K9karen
10-12-2007, 10:46 PM
How's your niece doing? How's the kitty? Most important, how are YOU? I know when life kicks you in the butt and you think you can't make sense of it, things have a way of working out. Hoping all is well with you, sweet dear. You deserve good things.

caseysmom
10-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks Karen, my niece is on her own and reasonable wealthy now, at least for a 23 year old! She is working. She was diagnosed with aspbergers and her condition puts a big strain on her relationships.

Potter is fine, I have lots of problems with him wandering the neighborhood and I worry about his safety.

I did miscalculate the proceeds and came home to a letter saying I had overdraftered a huge check,,,the bank thankfully cashed the check it was only 65 short so I am out a few hundred from my pocket...no biggie at least the whole thing is over.

sparks19
10-13-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm so sorry. Prayers to you, your neice and the rest of your family.