PDA

View Full Version : Updates on Odie and Scout

Goochina & Goochissimo
05-21-2002, 04:19 PM
Great news!

I had posted previously about Odie having a problem with digging and barking all day long -- terrible separation anxiety. I was so worried about what to do. I wanted to get him a companion, but I was afraid the problem would be doubled with 2 dogs.

Then we adopted Scout, the deaf dalmation pup, because we couldn't stand to see him put to sleep. :( We were determined to work with him.

After leaving them alone in the yard for short trips at first, we worked our way up to leaving them home in the yard together while we were away at work. Scout has a microchip implant, and my neighbor works from home so she could keep an eye out for us. The good news is -- THEY DID PERFECTLY!!!! They love being together all day. Odie no longer digs, neither of them bark. Scout doesn't have to be kenneled, which is good because his time in a pet store taught him to eliminate in his cage. :rolleyes: They are both just soooooo happy, and they spend all evening and weekends cuddling with us. At night, they all pile into the bed with us... along with my kitty Delilah. :eek:

As for the training with Scout, I couldn't ask for more. He is taking to hand commands so well, and we haven't even spent much time actively training. He's also doing very well with potty training, and we have learned to tell by his actions when to let him out. This prevents accidents... and when he gets to the point that he'll consistently scratch the door to go out we'll be home free!!!

:D I'm so proud of my boys!!!

manda99
05-21-2002, 05:02 PM
AWESOME!! :D :D :)

Cincy'sMom
05-21-2002, 07:22 PM
Glad to hear things are going well with your spotted pups!

I started a thread about the july issue of Pet Talk because of the feature breeds, but there was also stories about people who adopted disabled dogs...deaf, blind or amputees. They had a lot of good web links and book titles for support on all three of these situations. How great of you to get a pal for your Odie, but to safe a life at the same time!

delidog
05-22-2002, 04:44 AM
would love to see pics of your wonderful spotty dogs!!!!!
i will let my Delilah know that there is more than one in this world....she thinks that it is all about her!!!!!!!!;) :D

Gio
05-22-2002, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the update! Wonderful news. Subtle hint: Now it would be even better if we could see pics of them together (and of Delilah as well, we don't want her to feel left out!) :D

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-22-2002, 06:05 AM
Oh what great news! I am so glad that things have worked out for Scout and Odie! And how kind of you to save lil Scout's life. :)

Dalmatian puppies are too cute. I helped transport this lil Dal called Disney, and Andrew and I fell in love with her on the spot!

Would love to see pictures of your pups together!

anna_66
05-22-2002, 07:02 AM
So glad everything is woking out so well with both dogs. I wish you continued luck in the future!!!

Dixieland Dancer
05-22-2002, 08:48 AM
PICTURES PLEASE! :D :D :D

lizbud
05-22-2002, 11:30 AM
G & G,

Great News on your poochies !!! Could you post some pics
when you get time? Oh, btw, did Odie ever get his neuter
surgery done? Just curious. Thanks.

Goochina & Goochissimo
05-22-2002, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the well wishes. :)

Actually, no. Odie isn't neutered yet. I'm kind of afraid to do it because Scout is so young and rambunctious. He is constantly tackling Odie, tugging on his ears or legs, etc. Do you think he will hurt Odie while he is recovering? And how old should Scout be before he gets fixed? (He's 5 months now.)

I'll have to work on getting a group picture. Odie is camera shy (he always turns his back if he sees you get out the camera) and Scout is never still. lol. It'd be hard to capture all 3 of them together, but I'll try. Meanwhile, here's a small pic of Scout.

tatsxxx11
05-22-2002, 03:45 PM
What a happy update!!! You must feel so proud of your beautiful babies!! And now, THE PICS!!:D