PDA

View Full Version : Poor dog...

wolfsoul
07-30-2006, 10:42 AM
I recently heard about a dog that died a few weeks ago. A Petco trainer was helping an owner in the parking lot. The owner explained that no matter what she did, she could not get the dog to down. So the Petco instructor stepped on the leash, forcing the dog to down. She said she needed to down him for 20 minutes. The dog continued to struggle and after only a few minutes died of heat exhaustion. When they looked at his body, his entire stomach and legs were completely burned from the hot asphault. Petco estimates that because of the incedent they have lost 20,000 customers.

And just more proof of what's wrong with the world..Yesterday we got a call at work. A lady couldn't show up for her grooming appointment because someone had broken into her house and stole her dog! :eek:

elizabethann
07-30-2006, 11:35 AM
OMG to both of those stories! That's awful. Some guy in MA this past week left his dog in the car at 3am and ran in the store. He left the car running. Sure enough, someone stole the car AND the dog. They showed the family on the news and they said to keep the car and that they just wanted their dog back.

My heart goes out to the owner of the dog who died at PetCo. What a shame. That just breaks my heart.

And I can't believe someone would break into someones house & steal a dog. I don't think I could sleep or work anymore knowing my dog was stolen and may be out there somewhere. I hope they find the ba$tard who did it.

If you hear an update, can you post it on here?

K9soul
07-30-2006, 11:48 AM
That is sickening. I did some looking around to see if I could find the story. Is this it? It looks like it is.. though the details are a bit different.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/local_news/epaper/2006/07/19/s1b_deaddog_0719.html

wolfsoul
07-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Yes, that's the story, as it was a GSD puppy that I heard about. Funny how stories change from person to person, like the game of telephone. I actually expected it to get better when I went to the link, but surprisingly the story was worse.

K9soul
07-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Yes I just wanted to strangle the "trainer" when she complained about the dog kicking her while she held him down. That is apalling. Unfortunately novice dog owners will often think trainers are professionals and trust them to know what they are doing. That's why it's just so important to read and research and understand behavior and training on your own before listening to ANYONE'S advice, be they vet, trainer, breeder, etc., so you can judge for yourself if something doesn't seem right.

wolf_Q
07-30-2006, 12:11 PM
That's awful, poor dog and his family. :( :(

I work at Petco and I've been though the training classes there with Nebo (I can go for free) and she only used positive reinforcement methods, like clicker training and such...not any of this alpha roll/dominance crap...

K9soul
07-30-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm sure her methods were not condoned at all by Petco as a company. When I took Tasha to her puppy class (for socializing more than actual training), the trainer used only positive methods as well and was a very kind person. This lady should be barred from touching a dog ever again.

BC_MoM
07-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Oh my gosh. :( I would have to get a restraining order against this women if that were my dog. I would try and sue.

GreyhoundGirl
07-30-2006, 06:54 PM
:eek: What did the owner do?

areias
07-30-2006, 07:26 PM
I don't believe that the trainer was a Petco trainer, especially if she is doing house calls. It seems that she simply met the trainer at Petco. Stories CAN get jumbled up, and people these days just love to sue people, but if that is the straight truth, that is horrible. :(

MajesticCollies
07-30-2006, 07:37 PM
I always tell people if they are considering obedience training to go to various schools without your dog and sit in and evaluate the trainer's methods. This way you can be assured of which method with which trainer is going to be best for your dog.

Vela
07-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Ugh that is just horrible. I hope that woman is brought up on some type of charges. That poor dog, and his boy. I would freak out is someone did that to my dog.