PDA

View Full Version : Spider Food, HELP!

Ann
05-21-2002, 02:07 PM
There is this tiny little spider who made a web on the outside of my window, s/he has been there for a few days now and I check on the web everyday but I have yet to see any flies in it! So I'm all worried that the poor spider will starve, but since I could never bring myself so put some poor flies on the spider's web, I was wondering if there is anything else I could put on the web? I was thinking maybe I can just put a little tiny piece of bread onto the web, but I don't know if spiders eat that sort of thing or if it might be to heavy and break the web!

Any help is much appreciated, I don't want the poor spider to starve to death :(

Sam's My Baby
05-21-2002, 02:53 PM
I think that the spider will catch food when it is hungry, and I am thinking that it is probably a very small spider so It probably doesnt eat much at all. Or maybe it has some dead flies somewhere in the web that are all wrapped up that you cant see?
If you are still worried here is some info I found on a website:

What do spiders eat?
Spiders eat invertebrates (insects and other small animals without backbones) and larger spiders may eat small vertebrates such as frogs and some birds. Spiders in Australia have all developed many different ways of finding and catching food. Some hunt for prey at night while others hunt during the day. Some prowl around and pounce on their prey while others wait for prey to come to them. Most spiders inject their prey with venom from their fangs. This venom helps dissolve the tissues of the preyís body so the spider can ësuckí it up as a liquid.

Hope that helps.
:)

Edwina's Secretary
05-21-2002, 04:16 PM
Ann -- the spider is outside, right and very tiny? It is very possible that the spider is eating other incests that are too small for you to even see!

We live in an old house and consequently have lots of spiders -- especially at certain times of the year. I am always cleaning out cobwebs and don't think I have ever seen a fly caught in one. And trust me -- the spiders live long enough to reproduce!

This may be a time to assume that mother (nature) knows best and the spider is catching appropriate food.

(The webs are beautiful, aren't they. Especially when it rains! What I DON'T like are the webballs (???) in which they lay eggs.!!)

Pam
05-21-2002, 07:10 PM
Ann I don't mean to sound like a wimp, but I am not a fan of spiders. I think I would have had to knock that web down and ask him/her to move on. Sorry, they just give me the creeps. :eek: My hubby has taken some really good pictures of spider webs with dew on them and also some real close-ups so he would probably be trying to stop me! LOL!

Ann
05-22-2002, 05:37 AM
:) Thanks for the advice guys!! I will stop worrying about the spider now cause I am sure you are right and it'll be able to fend for itself! It is very small indeed, so your theory about it catching even smaller prey that I can't even see is probably correct.

And yes, the web is veeery pretty :)