PDA

View Full Version : Should he stay or should he go?

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-21-2002, 08:33 AM
For most of you who have heard my stories, you may gather that my husband and I are pretty active people. Well, on Friday, Andrew will be doing an adventure race across Florida! It starts Friday morning and ends on Sunday.

My 17 year old brother and I are supporting Andrew on this race. (carrying gear, meeting at check points, etc...) I have made arrangements for Draker to stay at a friend's house for the duration of my time away. I leave tomorrow afternoon to go to Alabama, the Thursday at noon we head down to Crystal River, FL for the race briefing.

I think Drake would love to tag along. We will be camping and just having a fun time in the outdoors. A part of me thinks that Draker may get in the way and I will have to keep him on a leash around others, etc... But another part of me nows just how much fun he would have!

What do you think? Should Drake go on our trip or should he stay home?

ellensy
05-21-2002, 08:45 AM
Yes, why not? ;)

Karen
05-21-2002, 09:02 AM
Bring him! He'll have such fun!

jackiesdaisy1935
05-21-2002, 09:40 AM
Souraya, we always bring Daisy and Perry when we go off and it is very comforting and they have a great time. I think the big Drake would love it.
Jackie

Dixieland Dancer
05-21-2002, 09:49 AM
Take him! If the campground allows dogs and your brother is going along, you shouldn't have a problem. Your brother loves Drake and takes good care of him too!!!

He may be "in the way" a small part of the time but mostly he will not be, right????

I think he would love to be with his family and to encourage his Daddy at the check points too! :D

But ultimately you have to make the choice since you will be the one keeping an eye on him the majority of the time! :rolleyes: I know.... I hear you saying "Thanks for the help Candy!" LOL :p

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-21-2002, 09:53 AM
I have made up my mind: Draker is going to Florida!

He will be "in the way" for only a little while. I can handle it and I know he is going to have a great time! I can hardley wait! I will take my camera and take lots of pictures.

jennifert
05-21-2002, 10:30 AM
Souraya, I just ran across this post and before I could say "BRING HIM!" , you decided to take the Drakemeister along!! And then I went up and looked at the poll results!! 100% to bring him!! You'll have a blast! This way you won't feel guilty about leaving him home. And you won't have so much to tell him when you get back since he'll be with you!!

Have a great time!! Look forward to seeing the pics! And good luck to Andrew!!

ramanth
05-21-2002, 11:20 AM
Same here! You decided before I got to this thread. LOL! :D

Have a great trip. Drake, you be good for mommy and tell her to take lots of pictures. :D

And best of luck to Andrew!

anna_66
05-21-2002, 11:54 AM
Me too, I'm late, but I would bring him too, he will have a blast!

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-21-2002, 12:24 PM
Drake, my brother, and I are going to have a great time!

I am going to pack Drake's gear as soon as I get home! He will need his harness, toys, several jugs of water, bowls, blanket, insect repellant, and treats!

Can I use people insect repellant or do I need to get him some special stuff?

mugsy
05-21-2002, 12:26 PM
I would ask the vet about the insect repellant...you might want to think about sun screen too, for the tip of his sensitive little nose! I knew you would take him!! hehehe

jennifert
05-21-2002, 12:33 PM
I don't know for sure if you can use the people insect repellent on Drake Souraya, but I would get him some special stuff. The stuff people use is pretty toxic I think and we dont' normally lick ourselves! :p You have him on flea/tick medication I'm assuming? Like the Frontline/Advantage type? And for the flying/biting stuff maybe you can get him something like they use for horses?

Have a great time! I'm so glad you're bringing him and I think you are too since you sound so excited!! Dont' forget his licenses and his rabies certificates in case you need them at the campground or to get into any state parks or the like. And maybe one of those tie-outs that stick in the ground in case. I know alot of campgrounds require the dog to be tied up and they won't allow you to tie them to the trees.
You didnt' mention his food? That's a given I assume! ;)

When are you leaving? Drive safe and enjoy!

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-21-2002, 12:34 PM
Drake has a black nose. Do you think I should put sun screen on it?

I use a natural citronella insect repellant that is chemical free. The vet said it would be OK. Drake is on Frontline for Ticks and Fleas. I have a cork kind of thing you drive into the ground and tie his leash to it.

We leave tomorrow afternoon to go to Alabama, and then Thursday at noon, we head down to Florida and will be there till Sunday.

Ann
05-21-2002, 01:59 PM
I'm glad you decided to bring him :D

Have a great time!!!

anna_66
05-21-2002, 02:15 PM
Sourya, it sounds like so much fun! I bet you'll all just have a blast! Can't wait to see the pictures and hear of all the fun you had! Have a WONDERFUL time!!!!!

Logan
05-21-2002, 03:16 PM
Have a wonderful trip!!! I didn't vote since your mind is already made up!!! Good decision!!! :D :D :D

momoffuzzyfaces
05-21-2002, 03:51 PM
WAHOOOOO!!! DRAKE GETS TO HAVE AN ADVENTURE!!!!
Have fun everyone!!!:D

KYS
05-21-2002, 06:59 PM
Have a great trip and be safe. I would use the doggie
stuff on Drake. :)

Gio
05-22-2002, 05:51 AM
Have a great time, all of you! :D

Gepansy
05-22-2002, 03:56 PM
He should get to go!!!
Hope you have fun on your trip!:D ;)

Kfamr
05-22-2002, 03:57 PM
Crystal River is a few hours from me.... will you guys be only in Crystal River? Will you be going any where else?? Maybe we can meet???

Dixie Belle
05-23-2002, 11:34 PM
Wish I had seen this sooner!! I'm in Alabama, and if you are heading to Flordia, then you are probably going to be going right by me!!!!

And I'm glad you are taking the furkid. I take mine every time we go camping. And with three dogs, that is a handful!! Have fun!!

C.C.'s Mom
05-24-2002, 01:14 AM
Drake will have the time of his life!

sabies
05-24-2002, 07:47 AM
Yay! Drake is going to have so much fun and so will you. Good luck Andrew.

Perhaps you can find a doggie sun visor for Drake, Sadie has one and she keeps it on pretty good. I use a diluted version of skin so soft oil as bug repellant for Sadie. As long as it's diluted it actually makes her smell pretty good. I think the mix I use is 1 part skin so soft, 7 parts water in a spray bottle.

Is there doggie sunscreen?

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-28-2002, 07:33 AM
Kay Ann, I thought of contacting you, but wasn't sure how much time I would have in that area. The race was Coast To Coast in Florida, but it was really coast to coast and up and down the middle of Florida. Perhaps the next time!

It was a hectic trip, but we had fun. I drove a total of 24 hours or more since Wednesday afternoon!

Drake had a great time. I am glad I too him. I had a big well ventilated tent that I pitched in the shade at every checkpoint and had 2 battery operated fans going. Plus Draker got to swim a bunch too.

The ride was long, but didn't seem to mind. He was so tired from playing most of the time.

I got a few pictures.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/pf71659b049ba92cce084ca909fc279ad/fdb315d3.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/p9fd97599f18c8414f64d90de6934bdb3/fdb315d4.jpg

ramanth
05-28-2002, 10:12 AM
I'm so glad to hear you had such a good time! Great pics Souraya. :)

How did Andrew do?

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-28-2002, 10:20 AM
Andrew did well. He placed 5th out of 75 teams. He is hurting now. Very tired and sleep deprived. I too am tired! I am taking a nap as soon as I get off work today at 3!

Dixieland Dancer
05-28-2002, 10:22 AM
Drake is one lucky boy!!! Just a little spoiled, just the way it should be! :rolleyes:

Glad to hear Andrew did so well!

C.C.'s Mom
05-28-2002, 11:23 AM
Nice pics! Drake looks very happy on the bed.

anna_66
05-28-2002, 01:13 PM
Sounds like everyone had a great weekend!

ramanth
05-28-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
Andrew did well. He placed 5th out of 75 teams. He is hurting now. Very tired and sleep deprived. I too am tired! I am taking a nap as soon as I get off work today at 3!

Yeah Andrew!! Congrats! :D