PDA

View Full Version : Thank God!!

gini
07-27-2006, 03:08 PM
I am sitting here shaking (forgive the pun) like a leaf. A huge branch has
just split off of my maple tree in the back yard. It has covered the entire back half of my house.

It made a noise like an earthquake.

THANK GOD..........NO ONE WAS HERE!

GreyhoundGirl
07-27-2006, 03:09 PM
wow..... Good thing no one was hurt.

shais_mom
07-27-2006, 03:12 PM
omg!
is there any damage to the house?
the office?

momoffuzzyfaces
07-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Are you ok? Are the cats ok? Is your house OK?

Good thing the BBQ is over!!!

gini
07-27-2006, 04:09 PM
I can't tell if there is damage to my home roof because the branches are covering it. But, I think it is alright.

I am alright - just shaken. I checked on the kitties right away and they are in the house - sleeping (they don't "do" trees).

Now I am worried whether I should put it through my insurance because of the flood damage claim that I just had.

If it "ain't" one thing........................

momoffuzzyfaces
07-27-2006, 04:14 PM
What happened? Was there a storm or earthquake or what? Last I heard, you all were having a terrible heat wave out there!

So glad you and the kitty kids are ok. Prayers of thanks are on the way!!!

lizbud
07-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Boy Gini, can you give a party or what. :D The earth is still setting with
all the good vibrations. I'm so glad no one was hurt. Hope there's not much
roof damage.

Killearn Kitties
07-27-2006, 04:47 PM
What is happening out there??? I certainly hope there is no damage to your house, Gini.

Perhaps you should invite less roudy guests next year. :D

wolflady
07-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Gosh, Gini, I certainly hope there isn't any damage! I'm glad everyone is ok.

**hugs**

slick
07-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Wow, I had to search for this thread...didn't think about checking in Meetings.

Gini: the important thing is that you and the kitties are OK, and that it didn't happen when you had company. Hopefully there won't be much damage to the roof. I'm home tonight if you want to talk.

xoxo

zippy-kat
07-27-2006, 07:22 PM
So, I'm sitting at work when all of a sudden I see my "message" light go off on my phone. Staci had texted me, "Tree in Gini's backyard just crashed to the ground." :eek:

Despite freaking out (believing it was, indeed, the whole tree that fell), I couldn't help but think, "Only another PTer would understand the need to tell another that their favorite tree --that (A) doesn't belong to them and (B) is in a different state/opposite side of the country-- has fallen." (Now, yes it does go much deeper than that as I was very much concerned for Gini's welfare...)

I am so VERY thankful that no one at HOO-ville was injured. Prayers on the way for a clean bill of health for the patio deck, picnic table, and roof as well.

{{Have a Lemondrop, Mom!}}

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Oops, replied in the other thread, then saw this one. Copied:

Oh my goodness, Gini!!! Wow, they say timing is everything and this just proves that point once again! The only thing I can think of is if it happened when everyone was there, just think of the help you would have had cleaning it up. I only say that because, of course, there is no way anyone could get hurt while at a California BBQ. It's just not allowed. Pants can get wine spilled on them, but no bodily injury is allowed to happen.

However, this is bad timing when thinking about the insurance. I'm sure your insurance company took a hit last year with your flood, and after this they may not like you very much. Funny, you pay them for years and years without a single minor claim..... Here's hoping the damage is minor and the main branch decides to hang on until the tree guys get there and cut it down safely.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-27-2006, 09:37 PM
Gini, I was thinking that it's too bad you don't life closer to my parents. My dad is a wood making fiend and he would be perfect for getting the branch off your house and cut up into firewood size logs in no time flat! He even special cuts logs for Terry and I so they fit in the bins we use in the motorhome. ;)

But, since Wisconsin is nowhere near So. Cal. it occurred to me that Richard and his dad(?) or was it his brother(?) are always making wood. Maybe they could help which would help keep the cost down, which would make it more feasible to not tell the insurance company. Even if they can't, wood makers oftentimes know other wood makers and maybe they know somebody who would do it just for the wood? Anyway....just a thought....

Cinder & Smoke
07-27-2006, 11:42 PM
12:20 AM Eastern time -

9:00 - 9:30 PM California time ...

Just got off the phone with "Mom" ...

The "Tree Guy" is supposed to show up in the early morning ...
but he might not "get to it" till :eek: Monday.

I suggested that if he doesn't get at least the broken branch removed
on Friday, "Mom" otta call the Fire Guys to come take a look at things.

Let's all THANK the Big Guy Upstairs for holding off on this till AFTER the BBQ ...
and ask that the Busted Branch doesn't fall on Gini's roof tonight.

<sigh>
/s/ a Thankfull Phred

;)

RedHedd
07-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Gini, YIkes! Like you said, good thing it didn't happen during the BBQ. I'm glad no one got hurt and hope there is no structural damage to your home.

T&P's mom I just had to chuckle at what you said:

wood makers oftentimes know other wood makers and maybe they know somebody who would do it just for the wood?

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck
if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
:p

slick
07-28-2006, 12:03 AM
The "Tree Guy" is supposed to show up in the early morning ... but he might not "get to it" till Monday.
Oh great!!! I can just see it now. Mz Gini in bed...trying to sleep....jumping up at the sound of every creak....wondering if it's gonna crash right through. That's enough to keep us all awake.

Let's all THANK the Big Guy Upstairs for holding off on this till AFTER the BBQ ... and ask that the Busted Branch doesn't fall on Gini's roof tonight. You got it Phred. Praying really hard over here. I'll be checking in for an uppydate tomorrow.

krazyaboutkatz
07-28-2006, 01:15 AM
Gini, I'm so sorry to hear this:( but I'm glad that you and the cats are fine and that it didn't happen during the PT BBQ. I hope that there aren't any damages and that the tree guy will come and haul it away very soon. Please continue to keep us updated.

Barbara
07-28-2006, 02:33 AM
Oh Gini- what a lucky timing! Just imagine the tree just falling in the moment when Sara had that knife in her hand :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hope the roof is ok as well- and the kitties kept sleeping!

Randi
07-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Oh Gini, I bet you are shaken! :eek: ... but not stirred. ;) So glad you and the kitties are safe. :) Hope your house didn't have any damage, and the wood guys will come and remove the brances soon. If not, I'm sure the guys in truck 29 will be eager to help. ;)

Oh Gini- what a lucky timing! Just imagine the tree just falling in the moment when Sara had that knife in her hand http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif
Good grief, Sara could have been charged with murder - not to mention where Richard could have ended up. :eek:

zippy-kat
07-28-2006, 07:45 AM
12:20 AM Eastern time -

9:00 - 9:30 PM California time ...

Just got off the phone with "Mom" ...

The "Tree Guy" is supposed to show up in the early morning ...
but he might not "get to it" till :eek: Monday.

I suggested that if he doesn't get at least the broken branch removed
on Friday, "Mom" otta call the Fire Guys to come take a look at things.

Let's all THANK the Big Guy Upstairs for holding off on this till AFTER the BBQ ...
and ask that the Busted Branch doesn't fall on Gini's roof tonight.

<sigh>
/s/ a Thankfull Phred

;)

And the truth comes out....

Some will fall off porch steps to attract firemen, others just saw limbs off their tree. ;)

mruffruff
07-28-2006, 08:49 AM
Omigosh, Gini!

I'm glad to hear that everyone is OK.

I know you were saying that you needed to have the tree limbs trimmed soon. Who knew the tree wasn't going to wait?

Surely there's SOMEONE who can get it off your roof before Monday. Not a good thing for your nerves--or your roof.

How about a little something in that morning coffee? :D

lbaker
07-28-2006, 09:17 AM
I replied in "Meetings" but will only add that I wish I lived closer (well for many reasons of course, but especially now). I have saws, ropes, saddles (for climbing trees you guys :o ) and know how to use them. This is what Baker (my husband) used to do for a living and he taught me. Please be careful Gini and don't stress, this WILL work out OK. Oh, and insurance? When the huge tree fell in my front yard - oak tree over 100 years old and over 100 feet tall - I was advised NOT to get insurance involved if at all possible. I too had a recent claim from a basement flood. That advise came from my insurance agent who also happened to be a friend.

slick
07-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Just checking in to see how you are Gini?? Did you get any sleep?? Have those hunky guys showed up yet???

momoffuzzyfaces
07-28-2006, 11:54 AM
How's Richard with a chain saw?
(now why does that thought frighten me? :eek: :D ;) )

catland
07-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Yikes! - I'm just glad that you and the kitties and the peeps (and yes, even the neighbors :rolleyes: ) are all ok. That must have been so scary sounding.

I wish we were there to help - I took down a tree in my yard once, and found out that I really like chain saws :eek:

slick
07-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Still no news. I guess she's out in the back 40 with a chain saw. God, I'm really praying that there is no roof damage. After all she has been through, that will just about do her in.

Check in when you can my friend.

gini
07-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Well, here I am - it is almost 2 pm California time.

My own tree man that I have used for years came right on time. He looked the tree over and HE feels that it can be saved. However, his crew is so busy and once he saw the limb, knew that he needed a larger crew - it wasn't going to be a simple job - and he is booked solid. He agreed that the limb had to come down as soon as possible.

He also told me the fire department wouldn't do anything for me because it was on my private property (rear yard) and not causing a public hazard.

He gave me the name of another company that he has worked with. I called and talked to the owner who gave me a price. I about gagged.........but this was an emergency call and emergency costs more!! Six guys showed up in under an hour. They handed me a Proposal that I was to sign immediately. Great thing - reading!!! The proposal was nothing like what we talked about over the phone - and I was looking at $5,175.00.

I DON'T THINK SO!!

I jumped on the phone and called the owner and gave him a piece (read brick) of my mind.

In the end, all six guys were here for one hour. They reported NO roof damage, and I can't see any either. BUT, sadly, the foreman tells me he really feels as though the whole tree should come down. I wanted to just cry - I love this tree so much.

The tree is not down - yet.

It is diseased and over 60 years old.

I want to go back to my own man who I trust and talk to him some more.

My equity line took a nice hit today - but there is just too much to be grateful for to whine about that. (keep working Gini).

I feel about this tree exactly as I feel about my kitties. If I have to lose one of them - I want to know and feel that I did everything possible to save them before I make that final decision.

My man told me that this heat has contributed to the loss. Trees in severe heat reach down as far as possible for water and then shoot it out to all the limbs and branches. This made that limb very heavy. He also said that trees are crashing down all over the city and that is why he is so busy.

Thanks - to everyone - for your good thoughts and kindness. Yeah - I must have broken a mirror a while back or something :rolleyes:

Enough already!! :D

gini
07-28-2006, 04:09 PM
I meant to also add that the guy with the chain saw was a real MACHO MAN!!
At one point he was sawing through the major limb and just kept sawing and looked away at me................."look, lady" -at what I can do! :D

slick
07-28-2006, 04:37 PM
I meant to also add that the guy with the chain saw was a real MACHO MAN!! At one point he was sawing through the major limb and just kept sawing and looked away at me................."look, lady" -at what I can do! :D ....and where are the pictures????? :p ;) :D Joking, of course...although I would love to see a hot sweaty macho man with a big tool.....
Sorry, don't mean to make light of the subject. I'm sure glad the roof is in good shape...that was worrying me. I'm heading home now and will check in later.

$5,000.....ha!!!!!

momoffuzzyfaces
07-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Gosh, I never knew that about trees. About them crashing from the heat, I mean.

I know you love the tree but if someone you trust told you it should come down ... well, it might do well to listen. It may do damage to someone or something if it falls on its own. Maybe someone could make you a keep sake from a piece of the wood or something and the rest could be used for fire wood or something else useful?

I'm so glad your guardian angels kept it up while you had the BBQ and eased it down so not to hurt anyone. Maybe next year everyone can help you plant a new tree?

(((HUGS))) for you whatever you decide!

shais_mom
07-28-2006, 04:55 PM
holy RIP!
$5000 + wowza!!!

lbaker
07-28-2006, 06:15 PM
Takedowns on a sick tree are sometimes cheaper and safer than trimming on a sick tree, for what it's worth. BUT, get the opinion of the guy you know because takedowns are also easier ~ perhaps that's where the opinion was coming from (which one is faster/easier for us says the tree guy to himself). Trees on the West Coast are obviously different from East Coast trees so I can't and won't second guess :( I wish, for many reasons, Baker were here to advise :( DANG. ).

gini
07-29-2006, 12:17 PM
MOFF, the treeman that I trust is the one that came out first. He felt that once the limb was removed that the tree could be saved.

It was the crew of six - and that foreman that I don't know that told me the tree should come down.

I don't know him at all - and he isn't a licensed arborist - he is just a worker bee like the rest of them. So I don't trust his opinion. And I was smarting a bit over the price switch that didn't leave me too confident.

I will take a picture later today and post it of the huge "hole" that is left where the limb fell.

I cannot imagine my backyard without this tree. But, if I have to deal with it, I will - and as soon as possible get another tree to replace this one.

I just keep saying to myself, over and over - THANK GOD that this didn't happen during the BBQ and that no one was hurt.

RICHARD
07-29-2006, 02:40 PM
because I am so dense I forgot that the head of the family that lives in my mom's rental is a tree trimmer.

I told my brother about G's tree and the price and he told me, "Stupid, that man (the renter) does that kind of work...."

Flog me with a noodle.

I do have a story about that tree.....

I am a little hesitant to tell it because everyone will know that I am crazy.

During the prep for the party I looked at the tree and focused on a crack that I had noticed.

I was going to tell Gini but something told me NOT to bring that up....She is a worry wart and I dodn't want to put something else on her.

On Saturday, as the sun went down, I had this real bad feeling.....

It was hot, muggy and then the wind started to pick up.,...I was looking up and saw that there was lightining off in the distance.

Fior some strange reason I was very uneasy.Why?

I don't know...While we were on the deck, I mentioned that I was going home and Gini told me that I wasn't my usual self....I guess she noticed that I was kinda antsy...

When I spoke to her on Thursday I kinda got spooked....

Now, I am not saying that I have any strange powers of anything like that, but there was somethng that made me a little uneasy that night.

Strange at that moment, but even stranger looking back on the whole event. :eek: :( :confused:

catland
08-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Are things getting better for you yet?

NoahsMommy
08-02-2006, 01:59 AM
Wow....reading Richard's preminition/gut feeling is, wow, amazing!! Thank God we were safe and the tree decided to wait till Mom was in her office, so that she was safe too!

Gini, I would trust your first tree guy. I remember Sara's issues with the landscaper that wanted to tear down the jacaranda tree because it was "messy" (what a reason to kill a tree!! :mad: ). I think getting a second opinion is a good idea.

Now, its diseased? Is this something that can be healed/helped?

Keeping you, your home and everything in it in my prayers. You deserve a break, Mom!!!

Hugs, Kelly :)

gini
08-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Are things getting better for you yet?

Well, that depends.......my trusted tree man came this morning and after carefully looking at the tree he said that at least a third of the tree would have to be trimmed and then there was no guarantee that the fungus wouldn't continue to do its damage etc.

And the final option that he reluctantly recommended is that the entire tree be removed and I start again. He is so busy it will be weeks before he can get over here to remove the tree. And we are talking $$$

He left and I burst into tears......................sorry folks, I just happen to have a mad love affair with this tree.

Then my gardener who I have had for years just flipped out when he saw the tree and heard that I was going to have it removed. He practically begged me not to do it - and wants to trim the tree way back - seriously back. He said it would look absolutely awful for a while - but with treatment and care - it WOULD come back.

So there you have it - I haven't moved forward or backward - right this minute I am not sure what I am going to do.

lbaker
08-03-2006, 06:36 AM
I remember very well when the first annual BBQ at your home was being planned someone asked if you had a pool. Your reply was that no, it would have to be a pool or your tree and went on to talk about how much you loved your tree. So do we all Gini, so do we all.

Pam
08-03-2006, 07:16 AM
How's Richard with a chain saw?
(now why does that thought frighten me? :eek: :D ;) )

I am sorry to laugh, but I have just read this entire thread from start to finish and I think that this line was just the tension breaker that I needed! :D Good one MOFF!

Gini I am so sorry that you might lose your tree but very relieved that no humans or felines were harmed throughout this whole ordeal. Prices in California are sure different than here on the East Coast! :eek: I can understand your feeling of not knowing which way to turn. Conflicting *takes* on the situation have to be distressing. Even if the tree was deemed unsafe it would be somewhat comforting to know that everyone was of the same mind on this. I hope that you get some peace in your heart and mind as to know what to do. (((hugs)))

zippy-kat
08-03-2006, 01:29 PM
We had our oak tree cut WAY back a few years ago. It looked TERRIBLE (think gigantic broccoli) but the tree was saved and it now looks better than ever.

{{hugs}}

wolflady
08-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Gosh, I'm sorry that this tough decision was placed in your lap, Gini. I know how much you love that tree, as so we all who have attended the BBQ!

Perhaps having it trimmed way back first to see if you can save it would be the way to start. At least that way you'll know if you really do need to have the whole thing removed later. :(

**hugs**

RICHARD
08-05-2006, 07:19 AM
I am sorry to laugh, but I have just read this entire thread from start to finish and I think that this line was just the tension breaker that I needed! :D Good one MOFF!

It figures....

Me, the butt of all jokes.

P.S.

Remember the last maniac with a chainsaw?

He had a movie made about him! :p

gini
08-08-2006, 04:14 PM
I am so excited I just can't stand it.

After thinking and thinking about this tree - and looking at it carefully..........and "listening"............................

I made the decision to NOT remove this tree. I just talked to the Tree Surgeon and next week he will severely trim the tree back and treat it.

Then he will return in November to take a look at it and treat it again.

He said it may be several years before I see good solid growth - but we could be surprised.

The tree does not seem to have suffered any shock and the remaining branches and leaves look very healthy.

A huge thank you to all of you who expressed concern and advice. You cannot believe how making this decision has lifted my spirits.

♥♥♥ from my tree and me!

Killearn Kitties
08-08-2006, 04:49 PM
:D I'm glad you feel better after making your decision! I'm sure it's the right decision too. Good luck to you and your tree!

slick
08-08-2006, 05:07 PM
That's wonderful news and I know the birdies will be happy too. Would love to see some before and after pictures of the tree.

Freckles
08-08-2006, 05:10 PM
How about a picture or two, now and later next week? :)

wolflady
08-08-2006, 07:30 PM
That's great news, Gini! I would have done the same thing. I hope the treatments work and the tree can be saved! :D

**hugs**

Randi
08-09-2006, 04:21 AM
Gini, I'm so happy you finally decided to try to save the tree, and I'm sure it'll look great again ... in time. :)

Pam
08-09-2006, 06:08 AM
How about a picture or two, now and later next week? :)

Great idea! I'd love to see too! Gini, I am so glad you have a plan and are at peace with it. I know from my own experience that *being on the fence* is maddening. Once I have chosen a path I feel much better. I know the good feelings you are having now. :) I hope your tree will have better days ahead! :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Whew! I'm so glad you decided to try to save it. Sounds like the tree might be "salvageable," just like Tubby was. ;) :D

RICHARD
08-11-2006, 12:51 AM
I got the number to Gini's tree guy......

He said the reason that the branches fell had to do with all the warm feelings, laughter and good times from all the BBQs.

IT was still a little ticked off at the STFU from next door and was really trying to hit the girl in the head..... :eek: ;) :o

gini
10-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Heavens - is she still going on about her tree?
No, but so many of you did ask for pictures. So, finally, here you are.
These are pictures of the day it happened - pictures of them trimming back the tree and what it looks like now. Everywhere there is a cut - there is new growth - and this is now October. My tree man does not want to treat it again until the first of November. The tree didn't go into shock at all, but the fungus is still very much there. I was told that I have two years - maybe even five if I am extremely lucky. I just couldn't handle removing this 60 year old beauty.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid216/p7800c9e6d84ec204d7af30a49cd607b9/ecb8ec18.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid216/p62b0cf64001555d79be9646ea630da86/ecb8ec1a.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid216/pb7d71014db6cd01e8b31c39792d34df8/ecb8ec17.jpg

More to follow.

gini
10-01-2006, 09:01 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid216/p27c5280529e3db4ea61c081f7f2730a2/ecb8ea71.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid216/p6ca52d39da6d6f8f94e693698f27285d/ecb8ea2b.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid216/p9c7ac5271f3d61f68f77c1895bccbb4c/ecb8e93b.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid216/pb8e90a92c3132ba860c1e495dda890e5/ecb8ec19.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid216/p88c2dd0c40319e06f4b2b9d3149f4b46/ecb8efbc.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid216/p9f41d18b33c662e3f256b5f6c06e8ca4/ecb8f047.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid216/pcc67635be55a6d15c5ed9db9d7104aa0/ecb8f144.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid216/p87b717fe8ab77101303779a2ef7a0efc/ecb8f2d0.jpg

Cinder & Smoke
10-01-2006, 10:12 PM
IT was still a little ticked off at the STFU from next door and
was really trying to hit the girl in the head..... http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/redface.gif

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/confused.gif

I musta missed a post somewhere ... ??

HUH??

What's an "STFU"?
(Prolly going to be an X-rated term ... but do your best to 'splain it.)

Was there someone in the Hood that DIDN'T enjoy the BBQ: http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif
She can leave town for the 2007 Bash.

Did they put a Band-Aid on the Tree's boo-boo?

Cinder & Smoke
10-01-2006, 10:18 PM
:eek:

Wow! ...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid216/p87b717fe8ab77101303779a2ef7a0efc/ecb8f2d0.jpg

Now THAT was a pretty *drastic* haircut they gave that poor Tree!

Hope it recovers in the spring.

shais_mom
10-01-2006, 10:51 PM
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/confused.gif

I musta missed a post somewhere ... ??

HUH??

What's an "STFU"?
(Prolly going to be an X-rated term ... but do your best to 'splain it.)

Was there someone in the Hood that DIDN'T enjoy the BBQ: http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif
She can leave town for the 2007 Bash.

Did they put a Band-Aid on the Tree's boo-boo?
at the 2005 BBQ - we were having a good ol' time and the evil neighbor yelled out the door. "Shut the ____ up!" :mad:

wow
that's all I can say about the tree, is
WOW

Cinder & Smoke
10-02-2006, 02:46 AM
At the 2005 BBQ - we were having a good ol' time and
the Evil Neighbor yelled out the door: "Shut the ____ up!" :mad:

:o

How UN-neighborly! :(

:rolleyes:

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-02-2006, 03:45 AM
OMG, what a "haircut" :eek:

I agree with you all the way, Gini. I wouldn't have the heart either to remove such a gorgeous old tree!! Your garden would look "skinned".... :eek: :(
With a bit of luck, the tree will decorate your garden for many more years to come :) . Hey, what would your next BBQ do without such a great natural sunshade ;) ;)

mugsy
10-02-2006, 09:47 AM
WOW! That was amazing and I love your yard!

lbaker
10-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Alas and alack, looks like Slick, Mario and I will have to find someplace else to "hang out" on at the next BBQ :p ;)

slick
10-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Looking at those pictures, I still can't believe that the branch didn't cause any roof damage. How lucky was that??? :eek:

Looks like it got quite the haircut and not to worry Laurie....that bottom branch look inviting enough for me.... ;) :D

catland
10-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Yikes - that's a lot of branches.

Good to see that the tree itself is still upright. Give it a season or two and it will fill out a lot.

slick
08-17-2007, 11:35 PM
I want to bump this up because this tree means so much to Gini and it looks like she will be losing it in a couple of weeks. She tried so hard to save it. :( :(

Trees can become family when you've loved them for so long. Sending giant {{{hugs}}} for you and the tree Gini.

Karen, any chance this could be moved to the General Section so everyone can read it?

Karen
08-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Okay, I'll move it, will Gini update us on the situation?

Catty1
08-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Oh, Gini - say it ain't so!!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-18-2007, 12:29 AM
Oh, Gini - say it ain't so!!!
Ditto!

Not only will Gini's home and backyard never be the same, the entire neighborhood will never be the same! :(

RICHARD
08-18-2007, 01:49 AM
http://www.dailynews.com/search/ci_6641574?IADID=Search-www.dailynews.com-www.dailynews.com

gini
08-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Have you ever loved a tree? When I moved into my home my Norwegian Maple was just a teenager. I could wrap my arms around its trunk and hug it. I loved this tree the moment I saw it. Over the years it has given me so much relief in the summer from the heat with its glorious branches and leaves.

A wind blown virus/fungus - that is what the tree doctor told me happened.

We have tried so hard to save it with expensive treatments and trimming.

This week it was scheduled to have another treatment and the tree doctor gave me my bad news. It is deteriorating rapidly in the interior and the fungus is spreading upwards now into the upper branches.

There is a large hole where I lost the major branch last year and he could put his screwdriver clear through it showing me how soft it is.

So now it is becoming dangerous so it needs to be removed. Can I share with you that I sat down and cried?

My backyard will be bare - my orchids are going to hate the blazing sun - as they have thrived under the tree's canopy.

Sure I can replace it - he already told me that a crane would cost anywhere from $700.00 - $900.00 PER HOUR to bring in a new tree. That doesn't include of course, the cost of a new tree or their costs to plant it properly.

If you have some trees on your property - especially ones that you love - go out and give it a hug.

Thanks for listening.

Randi
08-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Oh Gini, I'm SO sorry to hear your wonderful tree can't be saved. :( Your back garden will look so different without it and you'll miss the shade of course.

It's a lot of money to get a new tree, but I hope you can get one somehow.

((((hugs))))

Catty1
08-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Gini...I hope that in time you will find a new sapling that is special for another reason.

Maybe one in a family's yard somewhere?

If you feel up to it - write a story about the tree and its history with you...I am sure the newspaper would love to print it. It would be a tribute to your long-time friend.... :)

{{{hugs}}}

Bengalz
08-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Oh Dear! I'm so sorry about your tree Gini :( Trees are our good friends and losing them can be extremely sad.

I love Catty's idea about writing a story about your favourite tree -- in tribute -- and perhaps a new tree planted in its spot to forever preserve its memory.

Hugs,
Betty

Russian Blue
08-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Have you ever loved a tree?.................
If you have some trees on your property - especially ones that you love - go out and give it a hug.

Oh, I do know how important trees are! We have owned our cottage for over 70 years and I have certain one's that I call 'my' trees.

My grandmother planted one of my favourite trees when my mother was born. It was literally, the perfect tree, reaching high up to the sky in perfect form. I always considered it 'my' tree. We had to cut it down last year because of an insect infestation and it still hurts when I look over to that spot and only see the stump. :( It also makes me sad, since I lost my grandmother back when I was 16 and that tree was especially cherished.

We have so much history on that property and the trees are certainly a part of that history as well. (((Hugs))) to you - I totally know what it feels like to lose an important part of your surroundings.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-18-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm so sorry about your tree gini!!! :(

Maybe there's a young tree out there just longing for a good home!!!

king2005
08-19-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm sorry to hear the bad news :(

I know what its like to love a tree.. I love my plants a lot too. I had a cacti that I named Fingers & had it for over 5 years. My ex took it & put it in his bedroom window. I told him not to open his window as the cold from the winter would kill it. He ignored me & it died really fast :( I was heart broken :(

Karen
08-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Have you ever loved a tree, you ask? Oh, yes, of course.

I loved all the apple trees in my Grandfather's orchard, many had low branches, or branches that bent down to form "seats" for small children. His apple trees were well-tended, and we picked the apples each fall. The apple tree in my parent's yard was quite different. It was a much beloved tree, though the apples it produced were small, green, and hard - good for chucking at siblings who might wander by. There were several great spots to perch in the tree - 4-6 of us (children of the neighborhood) could be in the tree at a time with no real crowding. There were three particularly comfy spots that were good spots to take a book and sit and read. Ma loved the pink blossoms in the spring, and the scent of them was heavenly.

Then, one night when I was returning from college for the weekend, though the yard was dark, I could tell "something" was wrong. When I awoke the next day, there was "the children tree" as Ma had affectionatly dubbed it - being as it was better for kids than apples - was down, in pieces in the yard. It had gotten old, was dropping branches, and needed to come down, sure, but Dad made sure he did it when I wasn't home. He saved me one crooked piece of branch for a "shillelagh" but then the apple tree was no more.

mruffruff
08-20-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Gini. It was a grand old tree, for sure. Can't blame you for crying.

I lost the only tree in my yard to disease. I miss it every day. Time to plant a new one. I'll find the biggest I can get through my walkway door and hope it grows fast. I couldn't imagine paying the price for a crane for HALF an hour.

((Hugs))

NoahsMommy
08-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Oh Gini,

I am a "tree person"...I adore all trees and have spent many hours under them reading, thinking, enjoying. I think I got this from my grandma and my mom...we're 'tree people'. Everytime I drive, or go anywhere, the first thing I notice are the trees around me. Trees are protective, strong, providers, lovely...

I know how much that glorious tree means to you, I'm so very sorry that it has to be taken out. I had hoped so much that you could save it last year when the branch came down. :(

I think I need to come visit you. Do you want me to be there when its time for the tree to be removed? I'll bring chocolate...

Love you, Mom. (((((((((((((((((((((((((Gini/Mom)))))))))))))))))))))))

wolflady
08-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that your beautiful tree has to be removed. :(

I know how much you loved that tree and how gorgeous it was. Even I enjoyed this tree - especially the wonderful shade it provided in your backyard. I was so hoping it could be saved, so I'm sad that the treatments and trimmings didn't work. **hugs**
I agree with Kelly - you could probably use some friends and chocolate to try and ease the loss of your grand ol' tree. :(

**hugs**

crow_noir
08-21-2007, 12:43 AM
*HUGS*

I lost two of some of my best friends when my parents sold their house. The people that moved in cut down ALL of the trees on the property. I cried on and off for days.

I grew up in that house and those trees really were like friends. They were there to greet me whenever I returned home.

crow_noir
08-21-2007, 12:45 AM
OMG, that's horrible!!!

Thousand Oaks woman stumped by missing tree

Karen
08-21-2007, 01:25 AM
Gini, when the workers come to remove the tree, ask them to save part of it for you. Even a slice, sanded down, depending on size can be made a table, or a clock, or a branch can be saved and something made from it, depending on th size and shape. Footstool - pencil holder - bracelt - something in between ... . I don't know how "hard" the wood is, and if it is rotted in the middle, that would make the "slice" more of a problem, but even a branch like Dad saved for me will be a bit of a friend to keep and save.

davidpizzica
08-21-2007, 04:23 AM
Gini, I have an old apple tree beside my house which was planted when my house was built in 1939. There are a lot of memories ssociated with this tree, climbing in it, all of the family gatherings under it, a lot of memories. It's getting getting old and and on life support. If it has to be cut down, it will leave a big empty space in the yard and in my heart.

gini
08-22-2007, 11:31 PM
My 13 year old niece is with me now, so I have been especially busy.

But when I have the time I will take a picture of the "surprise" my beautiful tree has given me.

NoahsMommy
08-23-2007, 05:25 PM

But when I have the time I will take a picture of the "surprise" my beautiful tree has given me.

Oh good!! I know how much you enjoy spending time with your beloved nieces. :) Enjoy and I'll call you in the next few days.

Love you!!!

((((((((((((((((MOM))))))))))))))))))))))

lizbud
08-23-2007, 05:26 PM

I'll be waiting for the surprise picture. If I was your neighbor, I have something made for out of the "still good" wood. :)

momoffuzzyfaces
08-31-2007, 12:25 PM
Don't forget we are waiting to see the surprise your tree gave you!!!!!!!! ;) :D

Catty1
08-31-2007, 01:16 PM
I bet that tree put out a new shoot or two! :)

slick
09-05-2007, 07:23 PM
In my recent days of "soul searching" I fondly remember this tree. With many good friends, I have shared smiles, laughter, and tears under the cool shade of the branches. After a long day of shopping for the BBQ ;) it's like coming "home" and to think that it will not be there the next time I travel south, makes me blubber like an idiot. :( :( :(

Is it still standing Gini?

gini
09-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Is it still standing Gini?

Tomorrow morning they start at 7:30 am.
I feel as though I am putting down a beloved pet.

Kalei
09-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Oh no, I just went through this thread, what a horrible thing to happen. I love trees as well. When I was little I use to go to a friends house, and there were these awesome trees that look like they were literally made for climbing. Me and my friend climbed up them everday, and we would sit in its thick branches and talk for hours.

Until one day his father got the limbs chopped off because he didn't like us climbing on them:( I was so upset, those trees were a large part of our friendship and I felt like they were there to make us happy to make our friendship grow.

I can't wait to see what this surprise is though.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Tomorrow morning they start at 7:30 am.
I feel as though I am putting down a beloved pet.
But Gini the Rainbow Bridge will now have a new beautiful tree to give shade to our dear pets who wait for us. Somehow that makes me feel happy that a tree loved so very much will watch over the pets we love so much. :)

(yes, I think trees go to heaven too! I think any thing that lived and was loved does. Heaven would be so boring with only clouds!) :)

lbaker
09-06-2007, 01:15 PM
MOFF!! What a lovely thought, how very very appropriate :cool:

momoffuzzyfaces
10-03-2007, 01:40 PM
OOOOOHHHHH, GINI .......

we are still waiting for that picture of the surprise your tree left for you .....

not to rush you or anything ..... but....... I'm curious!!!! :D :D :D

AmberLee
10-03-2007, 03:53 PM
{{{gini}}}

gini
10-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Oh Moff, I am so bad...................

I promise I will download the pictures and then post them on Pet Talk very soon.

Cinder & Smoke
10-03-2007, 04:09 PM
I promise I will download the pictures and then post them on Pet Talk very soon.

I think we've heard that one before, "Mom"!

But we'll *wait*.

;)

gini
10-03-2007, 04:52 PM

I think we've heard that one before, "Mom"!

But we'll *wait*.

;)

Oh gosh, I always fall for "in ti me dation"....thanks a lot Phred:D