PDA

View Full Version : What to do with 50 pounds of kibble?

IRescue452
07-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Take it to the park and feed the ducks/fish?

Autumn is now on only raw food. We were going to feed her half raw half kibble until the paws professional was gone (we had 3 free 20 pound bags), but I'm done with that. Since Autumn's been eating this kibble she's been listless, has the runs every other day, has horrible breath, has a dull coat, and she's gained weight. We tried both the lamb and rice and the chicken and rice. I can't donate it to the local humane society because they are extremely picky about what foods they accept as donations and they will probably throw it out since two bags are open. And I don't want to donate something bad to the homeless dogs. There are no strays in the area I can feed and we don't have any racoons. It seems a waste to toss it.
If Autumn doesn't improve with just raw then she's back on mainstay, maybe with some raw thrown in. I'm sorry to say but she's been the picture of health for 6 years and she's had mainstay most of that time, so I'm not trying anything else after this.

MajesticCollies
07-27-2006, 01:31 PM
When you switch to the raw diet and find you still have plenty of kibble left and don't know what to do with it, PLEASE take it down to your local Shelter, Humane Society or Rescue center. There are plenty of willing and hungry mouths there. Its hard to believe that no one would be willing to take it. Not all kibble will meet your dogs requirement for its needs but it may meet anothers. What brand is it? Mainstay you say, Is that a grocery store brand. If so you are probably right that it has no use. lol The ducks at a park or fish in a pond may enjoy it also.
Your dog just may also need to have some suppliments added to its daily feeding. I recommend Nupro Gold Dog Suppliment or Solid Gold Seameal. I also always give 1/2 cup salmon or chicken and 1000mg vit. C and 1000mg Garlic to thier kibble. I feed kibble + suppliments in morning and Raw in the evening.

Sparklecoon
07-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Take it to the shelter. When I changed litter I took what I had left of the old stuff down they need all the help they can get.

Roxyluvsme13
07-27-2006, 01:39 PM
What kind of kibble is it?

Vette
07-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Im with MajesticCollies and Sparklecoon... take it to the animal shelter..

or ya could ask a friend/neighbor if they want it

molucass
07-27-2006, 01:40 PM
can't donate it to the local humane society because they are extremely picky about what foods they accept as donations and they will probably throw it out since two bags are open. And I don't want to donate something bad to the homeless dogs.

She just said why she was unable to give it to the shelter.

Karen
07-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Join and post it on freecycle.com! Somebody will want it!

Glacier
07-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Find somebody with a dog(s) that might use it. I regularly take bags of kibble and mix it with my regular kibble. (I never turn down free dog food!)

Or call your local food bank/SalyAnn. The one here takes donations of pet food and gives it to their clients who have pets.

king2005
07-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Set up a bird feeder & the larger birds will take care of it for you :)
I LOVE crows, they are so HUGE & smart birds :)

I don't think ducks eat meat, so feeding it to the ducks is like feeding sheep to cows, it ain't right

K9soul
07-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Set up a bird feeder & the larger birds will take care of it for you :)
I LOVE crows, they are so HUGE & smart birds :)

I don't think ducks eat meat, so feeding it to the ducks is like feeding sheep to cows, it ain't right

A lot of kibbles are more grain than meat. It depends somewhat on species, but I know most ducks eat insects, small fish and even amphibians too as well as seeds/roots etc.

IRescue452
07-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Its paws professional food. A brand kindof in the middle ground. I will call a few local rescues. I really don't want to ship it because I'm not experienced in shipping things and its two opened bags and one closed so I don't know if there are rules about the opened bags. I know that the Fox Valley Humane Society turns down food regularly because I volunteered there and they really are picky. They have a list of acceptable foods.

Roxyluvsme13
07-27-2006, 01:59 PM
I was going to say I could use some kibble, but since you don't want to ship it.. (I'm sure it's better than what Roxy's on now, that's why I was asking)

Flatcoatluver
07-27-2006, 02:00 PM
A lot of kibbles are more grain than meat. It depends somewhat on species, but I know most ducks eat insects, small fish and even amphibians too as well as seeds/roots etc.
even grain/bread are bad for ducks. Yes my ducks eat insects all time, there favorite thing to do when the ground is wet.

JenBKR
07-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Actually I can somewhat understand why a shelter wouldn't want to take open bags of food if they don't know you, unfortunately there are some sick people out there, and honestly they don't know what someone may have done to an open bag. I've never heard of that kind of food.....maybe a neighbor or friend or someone you know may be able to use it? I'm not real familiar with Mainstay but I think it's a pretty good brand, isn't it? I could be wrong though. Why did you switch? Just out of curiosity.

IRescue452
07-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Well, I was switching to raw, but I wanted to use up this food (paws) that we got 3 free bags of so I had been giving her half raw and half of the kibble. She will be on raw for now unless she doesn't improve on raw. It could be the raw that's making her sick, but I doubt that. The mainstay is what we'd be going back to if the raw doesn't seem to be doing her any good, but I'm sure that being on all raw will get her back to health quickly.

king2005
07-27-2006, 02:22 PM

There is difference between a bug, a fish & a cow/sheep/chicken. Just because a duck eats bugs doesn't mean its ok to eat a cow. Remember cows eat bugs too & lots of them, but you still cannot feed a cow, a little bit of sheep.

I can eat cow, lamb & fish, but not chicken or pork. I get very ill off those kinds of meats.

JenBKR
07-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Oh ok, I understand :)

sanford8916
07-27-2006, 02:55 PM
County Animal Shelters aren't usually picky, try there. I bring stuff to ours all the time.

bckrazy
07-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Remember cows eat bugs too & lots of them, but you still cannot feed a cow, a little bit of sheep.

Just for the record... the cows that we eat have been routinely fed parts of other slaughtered cows for years. That is one of the biggest factors in the cause of mad cow disease.

Unless they're marked as free-range & organic, feed cows are fed lots of disgusting things. As are feed pigs, chickens, etc, etc.

Also, that is like saying you cannot feed a cat a little bit of grain... but cat kibble is chock-full of grains & fillers. Cats are true carnivores, just as cows are true herbivores. My point being ;) I do not think it would affect the ducks to feed them a bit of kibble. As was stated, bread & crackers are much less nutritional than even poor quality dog food. I know plenty of pet ducks that are fed a staple diet of dog or cat food.

If I were you, I would offer it to the shelter, but it does not sound like a quality food... I'm suspicious of ANY food that gives a regularly healthy dog such horrible side affects. Maybe you should write into the company with complaints? I couldn't find any information on the brand. =/

K9soul
07-27-2006, 06:24 PM
I should clarify, I didn't really mean by my post that I was advocating feeding it to the ducks, I just meant to point out that they aren't vegetarian as cows and sheep are. To me any animal that eats other animals eats "meat" but I know meat can be a relative term..

Anyway I hope you can find something to do with it, and that Autumn improves on the raw.

lv4dogs
07-28-2006, 09:21 AM
You've gotten some good ideas. I skimmed through them so forgive me if I missed something but how about a foster organization? They may be willing to take it.

IRescue452
07-28-2006, 12:03 PM
http://www.pawsforpets.com/dog_food_pro.htm

I'm going to bring it to the Neenah shelter this weekend. They feed their dogs anything they can find.

jackie
07-28-2006, 12:22 PM
I am glad you found a use for all that food. It would be such a waste to have to throw it all away.

king2005
07-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Just for the record... the cows that we eat have been routinely fed parts of other slaughtered cows for years. That is one of the biggest factors in the cause of mad cow disease.
& thats why its banned here.. but thats not the point I was getting at.. I was trying to say its just as bad as feeding a cow a nother animal, as feeding a cow to a duck.

Also, that is like saying you cannot feed a cat a little bit of grain... but cat kibble is chock-full of grains & fillers. Cats are true carnivores, just as cows are true herbivores.
Cats eat plants willingly on their own.. They might not be able to digest the grains (I don't know squat about cats so this could be wrong), but it wont harm them.. it just means they need to eat more kibble (its more a waste of food then anything).. cause a cat isn't gonna go insane, unlike a cow will from eating meat.

I'm suspicious of ANY food that gives a regularly healthy dog such horrible side affects.
1 thing you need to remember is that not all foods agree with all dogs. Some dogs cannot eat RAW & thats as good as you can get. But it could still be a low grade kibble regardless, but to a starving shelter pet, its better then starving.

Thats great news you found a shelter that'll take it!!! That'll feed many hungry dogs for a while :)