PDA

View Full Version : Help - What is my puppy?

ryley0618
07-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Hi - I just adopted a 5 month old puppy. I was told at the shelter he is a Lab/Chow mix. But I have a 5 year old Lab/Chow mix & he has the purple tongue. This new puppy does not. He has a very pink tongue. His body has flat wavy hair - but his head has what we call an afro and it has a curl to it. He also has a little white on his chest & toes. I am thinking Lab/Newfoundland mix. He has big feet & at 5 months weighs in at 40 pounds.

Any ideas???

Thank you,
Colleen

GreyhoundGirl
07-27-2006, 04:12 PM
:) Newfound land sounds about right. All I know is he's sure cute !!!! :D adorable !

lisahumphreys882
07-27-2006, 04:53 PM
As soon as I saw the first picture I thought, as well, it looks very much like a newfoundland. But it may also be a lab/chow it just might not have gotten the purple tonge it may have gotten the pink tonge from the lab or newfoundland. It's really cute :)

zoomer
07-28-2006, 07:36 PM
He definetley doesn't look like a Lab/Chow to me! His ears tell me he has Border Collie. And his body and fur tell me he has Newfoundland. But I don't know about his tongue? Maybe he has a little bit of Chow Chow in him.

horse_lover
07-30-2006, 11:27 PM
He definetly looks like a newfoundland to me! My neighbor has one and he looked just like that when he was a puppy! I say he has newfie in him!

labmomma
08-02-2006, 01:50 PM
You'll be able to tell more when your pup is full grown. I had a chow mix dog and the hair didn't become thick and heavy until after a year. Whatever, you've got a beautiful pet on your hands. Congrats!
Labmomma

Bronx'sBower
08-02-2006, 05:03 PM
First I think your pup is adorable. Secondly I agree it looks lab and chow mixed but as others have said you will want to wait until he gets older, features not present as a pup may start to come out. When we got our Bower we were told he was a boxer-mix, likely with lab; however he is now 7 months old and definately mixed with shepard. The reason his tongue may not be purple is because when breeds are mixed, they get different features from each dog. They can get the best of both breeds or the worst...not just in features but in attitude aswell. Ours seemed to get both doses of energy- I know boxers are fully of energy and can only imagine how much energy is contained in a shepard-fortunately we got the combination.