PDA

View Full Version : I got STUNG!!!

sparks19
07-27-2006, 09:51 AM
LOL Last night I got stung by a wasp or hornet I can never tell the difference. It got me right on my knuckle of my ring finger and MAN did it hurt. When it first happened I thought I burned myself on something. I thought "hmmm why is the BBQ on" lol then I saw the bugger fly away. I can't even remember the last time I got stung.

Brian took care of me though lol. but now I always wondered why Dr's compare needles to bee stings. "OK it's going to feel like a little bee sting" MY A$$ lol I have never had a needle that hurt as much as this sting did lol.

Thank God I'm not allergic like my brother is.

it is really itchy today and it hurts like a bruise lol. is there anything I can put on it to take the itch away?

Queen of Poop
07-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Oh I wish I could help you, but I have NEVER been stung. Sounds like it is far from a pleasant experience.

moosmom
07-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Try putting meat tenderizer on the site. It sounds as if the stinger is still in your hand. The meat tenderizer will draw the stinger to the surface so you can remove it. It'll also take away the itch and soreness.

sparks19
07-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Try putting meat tenderizer on the site. It sounds as if the stinger is still in your hand. The meat tenderizer will draw the stinger to the surface so you can remove it. It'll also take away the itch and soreness.

Wow I never knew that. My husband tried to see if the stinger was in last night but it was bleeding so he couldn't see. I hope we have some meat tenderizer :D thanks for the tip

cyber-sibes
07-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Try putting meat tenderizer on the site. It sounds as if the stinger is still in your hand. The meat tenderizer will draw the stinger to the surface so you can remove it. It'll also take away the itch and soreness.Wow, donna, I remember hearing that a long time ago - forgot all about it. I may try it, too, next time. I got stung at the dogpark just a few days ago - OOOOOUUUUCCCCHHHH! fortunately Im not allergic either. I just soaked my foot in cold water for about half an hour, then it wasn't so bad.

moosmom
07-27-2006, 11:55 AM
To get the stinger out, brush a credit card over the site. If you squeeze the site, it'll release more of the toxins in the stinger. If you don't have any meat tenderizer, you can use mud. Yes, mud. Mix up dirt with water to a paste and pat it on the site.

Hey, at least I remember SOME of my 20 years as a paramedic! :p ;)

*LabLoverKEB*
07-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Ooohhh! That must've really stung! You poor thing! :(
I've tried this before, and it really seemed to work for me!
Okay, get some baking soda and add a little water, and mix it into a fine paste. Next, put the paste onto your sting, and let it dry til it hardens. Try this, and let me know how it worked! :)

moosmom
07-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Okay, get some baking soda and add a little water, and mix it into a fine paste. Next, put the paste onto your sting, and let it dry til it hardens

:eek: WOW!! I didn't know that!

king2005
07-27-2006, 12:52 PM
boy do I REMEMBER that feeling lol
If there was no stinger left then it was a wasp (those suckers can sting more then once, a bee will leave its stinger in you & then later on die).

Heres a funny wasp story (just to make you giggle).

I was walking my RB dog Max in the forest with my friend. We were on the old traintracks & I was tossing a stick into the bush for Max to scent track & return. Then 1 time he came back out with nothing & a sad look on his face. So I said where is it & followed him in. I knew it was near the pile of old traintrack logs, but wasn't sure where (it was a big pile lol). As we were walking on the pile I heard a crunch (its been so long i forget who did it), then bzzz bzzz bzzz bzzz OMG there were MILLIONS! It looks like a shot taken from the movies, you know the BIG ball of bees! Well thats what i saw infront of me. I yelled MAX RUN (its a command he knew) & pointed & i ran too.

My friend was standing on the tracks waiting for us when she heard me yelling & both of us tearing out of the bush. I was doing that OMG GET THEM OFF dance, you know whipping your arms all over & looking like a fool lol
I was yelling BEES MILLIONS RUN (there was LOTS of swearing, but I wont post that lol).. So Max & I kept running. Max had them ALL over his fur. I took stones & was gently tossing them at the bees on him & brushing them off with larger stones. Max was good, didn't move a muscle. Then I saw one on the less hairy part of his leg & was worried that one would sting him (the other couldn't sting him due to his fur), so I brushed it a little too hard & the bugger was now PISSED & in slow motion I watched him from the corner of my eye, fly behind me & STING!!

Thats when I went crazy! I was screaming GET IT OFF IT STUNG ME & really freakying out. My friend wouldn't even go near me :p

After I stopped freaking & ran about a good 1/2 km down the tracks I stopped & started walking back towards my confused & scared friend (I think we were 15-16 then). Max was fine, no stings & no sore spots. My sting wasn't pretty. it was about the size & shape of a golf ball cut in 1/2..

Stupid freaky little Wasps (I don't know what kind they were but they were green looking). Just glad they wen't yellow jackets, THOSE don't stop attacking!

Blue_Frog
07-27-2006, 01:26 PM
I can sympathize about the wasps thing ... turns out a herd of them decided that colonizing my BBQ was a good plan, so when I went out to cook my steak and opened the lid they all came flying out. Had to get the nice neighbour to come and get rid of them for me. Don't get me wrong, I deal with all bug situations myself - but unfortunately, I'm allergic - to the point of having an Epi-pen that i've only had to use once (hurts more than the wasps do!), and i've been stung on more than one occasion.

Try ice, callamine (spelling?) lotion, and if the itching keeps up some kind of antihistimine like Reactine can help too. Keep it clean so that infection doesn't set it, and try to resist the urge to scratch at it.

I got stung by 2 wasps once on the hand (i was stupidly turning over logs looking for salamanders when i was about 8), and got bit ... it actually looked like someone took a rubber glove and blew it up ... right up to the elbow.

Bees don't usually sting you unless you grab them, or harass the hive - mostly because they will die. The stinger and part of the back of the bee will come off (usually with the toxic sac thing) so that it can keep venoming you even after the bee is dead. Wasps and hornets will sting you for the sheer evil fun of it, partly because they dont die when they do and can sting you more than once, but mostly because they're buggers. :mad:

*LabLoverKEB*
07-27-2006, 02:41 PM
:eek: WOW!! I didn't know that!
Yep! I think one of my realtives told my mom to do that for me, when I got stung 'up north' at Wisconsin.
It also helps for sun burns! Had to do it yesterday, my back was not feeling so well.

sparks19
07-27-2006, 03:03 PM
I took an antihistamine and the itching has stopped for now and the swelling has gone back down. the swelling wasn't bad, it was just on part of my finger.

Miss Z
08-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Okay, get some baking soda and add a little water, and mix it into a fine paste. Next, put the paste onto your sting, and let it dry til it hardens. Try this, and let me know how it worked! :)

Hmmm, I thought that was for bee stings? I always heard that bee stings were acidic, so putting baking soda on it would neutralise the acid and relieve the pain. Wasp and hornet stings are alkaline, so vinegar will neutralise them. Or have I got that the wrong way around? ;)

sparks19
08-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Hmmm, I thought that was for bee stings? I always heard that bee stings were acidic, so putting baking soda on it would neutralise the acid and relieve the pain. Wasp and hornet stings are alkaline, so vinegar will neutralise them. Or have I got that the wrong way around? ;)

I don't know but when it happened my hubby told me to pour vinegar on it, so I did lol.

I still have a mark from that sting lol

slleipnir
08-09-2006, 01:17 PM
I got stung the other day too. The bugger flew right into my neck and stung me! I wasn't even moving around or anything! It hurt a lot, then the next day I had a big, itchy bump. Yuck. Stupid things.

sparks19
08-09-2006, 02:12 PM
I got stung the other day too. The bugger flew right into my neck and stung me! I wasn't even moving around or anything! It hurt a lot, then the next day I had a big, itchy bump. Yuck. Stupid things.

OUCH sounds painful. try taking an anithistamine. it helped take the itch away for me.