PDA

View Full Version : How to keep cool

wolfsoul
07-27-2006, 09:22 AM
I haven't been getting much sleep lately because it's been too hot, and lastnight I didn't get any sleep at all. I just lay awake tossing and turning.

Any tips on how to keep cool? I put all of my bedding in the freezer to make it cool before I use it, and lastnight I took out my ice pack and frozen drinking cups and put them all over me. When that didn't work I tried a cool shower. I have a fan, but no AC. I really can't afford AC right now and what with the amount of AC in the city right now the power keeps going out so I may as well not add to that. Sigh, it seems like I've tried everything, I'm just SO tired.

elizabethann
07-27-2006, 09:28 AM
You poor thing. I can relate. After years of no a/c, I finally broke down about 2 years ago and bought one. I still use my fans to distribute the air all over my apartment.

What you're doing seems to be the best for the heat. How about some ice in a bowl and put it in front of your fan? That may blow some of the cold air from the ice onto you. Just a thought. What about a cold compress on your forhead and wrists. Try a cold shower before you go to bed too.

Hopefully a cold front will come in soon and cool you off a bit.

Take care.

wolfsoul
07-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Good idea, I will try the bowl of ice in front of the fan. :)

The dogs certainly don't help -- they keep trying to make a sandwich out of me when I lay in bed. :rolleyes:

.sarah
07-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Maybe you could lay some ice packs on your bed and then put a towel or blanket over them and then lay on that. I've done that before when our power went out.

By the way, I'm planning on sending your money off to you today, sorry it took so long :o

Killearn Kitties
07-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Are your sheets a natural fabric? Pure cotton or similar - no man-made fibres in there.

No alcohol. Lots of water.

Various windows open to try to create a through draught, if there is any air movement of course.

No big dogs on the bed would help too. :D

moosmom
07-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Being the victim of hot flashes as well as the summer heat, I put damp facecloths in the freezer and then put them around the back of my neck.

Jadapit
07-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Being the victim of hot flashes as well as the summer heat, I put damp facecloths in the freezer and then put them around the back of my neck.

Same with me Donna, aren't the hot flashes fun? :rolleyes: I cant seem to ever feel cool, I hate it. I know how you feel wolfsoul I cant sleep very well at night either because of the heat. It must be *hot* everywhere this summer. I'm sure tired of the heat.

BC_MoM
07-27-2006, 11:10 AM
If your really hot, run cold water on your wrists, back of neck, and temples and dab it. Don't wipe it off.. that usually cools me down for a while until I can sleep.

But I can relate! We don't have AC either.. Molly kept trying to snuggle up to me last night but I kept pushing her to the end of the bed. It's just too hot to have extra body heat around!

moosmom
07-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Jadapit,

Hot flashes suck!!! I've been going through them for over 7 years now, since my hysterectomy. I was told they would last about this long and I'm still waiting for them to stop. When I worked at the newspaper, I used to go buy a can of Diet Coke and put it in my bra. Worked well! :p

Flatcoatluver
07-27-2006, 12:04 PM
The ice chips in front of the fan is a great idea!! I am glad to hear other people having a hard time sleeping. I can't sleep at all. We have a/c in the family room but it doesn't get to far. It's funny all of the room are really cool and once you walk in my room it's a couple degrees higher. Thanks for the reminder about the wet damp cloth in the freezer.

king2005
07-27-2006, 12:34 PM
My mom bought a small AC & put it in her bedroom. She would turn it on 1hr before bed & leave it on while she slept. Once she was awake she would turn it off.

Having an just for sleeping makes a HUGE difference.. also for those NASTY hot days, you could keep it on during the day to keep JUST your bedroom cool, so you can chill in there... if you don't already, get a small tv for the bedroom or move your computer in there...

I have CA & I would be dead without it.. I cannot sleep in a hot room, I get ill & will end up pacing all night long. So to avoid getting ill, do get a small one for the bedroom. It'll be best for your health.

Edit: almost forgot. Mom only paid 100.00 for hers

Randi
07-27-2006, 12:34 PM
I agree, a wet cloth around your neck helps a lot, and run cold water on your wrists too. Perhaps even put a bowl of cold water by the bed and dip your feet now and again. ;)

As Karen says, wear pure cotton, or silk.

We have it hot here too, some have put a tent in the backyard - I guess they're sleeping there.

Argranade
07-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Live In your freezer for the summer~! :p

Or cool off your wrist and jump In a pool of cold water maybe eat some Ice cubes.

sparks19
07-27-2006, 12:44 PM
My mom got this fan that you put in your window and it has two fans so one blows air in and one blows air out. it's great. It keeps constant air movement in the room and cools it right down.Like this http://www.bizrate.com/fans/pid274567586/

RedHedd
07-27-2006, 12:53 PM
They've been giving tips on staying cool all over the place lately. The ice pack on the neck works. Also sitting with your feet in a tub of cold water will cool down the rest of your body. Kind of hard to sleep like that, but it does work to cool one down.

Stay away from warm kitties :p Even THEY don't want to cuddle in this weather. They're splayed out in front of the fan airing it all out :D

Catsnclay
07-27-2006, 01:40 PM
If your really hot, run cold water on your wrists, back of neck, and temples and dab it. Don't wipe it off.. that usually cools me down for a while until I can sleep.

Those spots and the back of your knees are your "pressure" points, if you keep them cool, it will in turn cool off your entire body.

They actually make neck bands, with that stuff that freezes like ice, but takes much longer. They give these to runners, people who work outside all day, etc. Not too sure the exact name or where to buy them, but I do know they are out there! :rolleyes: Try a store that sells sporting goods....?

wolfsoul
07-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all of the great ideas, I will definatly try them! :) My boss told me I can always sleep at work too, so I will try that if nothing else works, the shop is always nice and cool and then I won't have to get ready for work in the morning. :p

Suki Wingy
07-27-2006, 10:44 PM
The rabbit barn at the fair has lots of industrial sized fans but Oslo still is not faring well. :( He's feeling bad. For rabbits we put frozen water bottles on their ears because ears are like temperature regulaters. In the winter keeping them warm warms up your body I think almost 10 degrees, so it should work the same backwards. Try holding ice on your ears.

CatsnClay, we put one of those on our dog sometimes. :)