PDA

View Full Version : Jealousy

Tanya
10-20-2000, 01:39 PM
I have an 8 1/2 year old boxer and a 4 year old miniature schnauzer. You can't pet one without petting the other. If you pet both at the same time, they can't stand it! They always want to be the center of attention, one at a time. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them used to receiving attention at the same time?

KYS
10-20-2000, 05:52 PM
I have the same problem with my females.
If the lower ranking female dog comes
up to me for attention, the Alpha female gets all bent out of shape.
I always try make shure I pet the Alpha female first.
IF the highter ranking dog is still
getting bent out of shape, I will
repremand her to let her know
that as King I can pet whomever I please.
This works for me.
If your dogs are not food aggressive you
might try a reward system.
Rewarding them when they do something good and ignoring them when they don't.
Good luck, after 3 years my top female
still puts the lower rank in her place
when I am around. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

carrie
10-20-2000, 06:52 PM
Hi,
I have got some ideas but I'm afrid you won't like them very much!
My first suggestion is some solid obediance training. Work both dogs together and you will find your problem just isn't any more. The first aim is to have both dogs sitting and to call them one at a time to you. You may find this easier if you start off in the house and use a doorway to the garden with the door only open enough to allow one through at a time. Sit the dogs on the other side of the door and hold the door firmly to prevent them barging through. Stand up straight and very calmly call one dog. If the correct dog comes allow it to pass through the door. If the wrong dog also comes raise your knee to prevent it going through and make it sit again. Wait 5 seconds and then call that dog and allow it through. Repeat this 5 or 6 times every session and try to have as many sessions as possible each day. Be careful to swap which dog you call first at every repitition and always stay very calm. Once you are master of the held door leave the door open and stand away from it a couple of steps. Be ready to put both dogs back in place and start again if there is a mistake. Once you are happy ask the dog to sit as it comes through the door and reaches you, calmly pet it and then do the same with the other one. Once at this stage practice as often as you want to pet your dogs - do not pet when they ask for attention only when you feel like it and they have completed the excersise correctly. Practice on walks, in front of friends - really show off -it's great! Your dogs are no longer in competition with each other and you have total dominance. Do not allow ANY sign of dominance between the dogs in the house - as pack leader it is up to you to not tolerate it.
KYS - what breeds are your bitches and how old are they?

[This message has been edited by carrie (edited October 20, 2000).]

KYS
10-20-2000, 08:04 PM
KYS - what breeds are your bitches and how old are they?>>>>>>>

The Top female is a 7 year old Akita and
the lowest rank female is a 3 year old,
Norwich terrier.
Ok, don't laugh because size doesn't matter
when it comes to who wears the pants in
the family.
The same Akita use to be terrified/bossed
around by a 13lb terrier before she passed away.

P.S. Carrie,
I love your suggestions. You have such
great advise. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

carrie
10-21-2000, 12:29 PM
Thanks a lot, that's very sweet of you, but perhaps you'd better wait until you see some posts saying that what I have suggested has worked!!!!!!!!!!