PDA

View Full Version : Need advice regarding my car

Sirrahsim
07-27-2006, 02:48 AM
Ok, my car runs flawlessly... the quality stops there and otherwise it is pretty much a piece of crap. Next month, my piece of crap is coming due for the ridiculously expensive Japanese Compulsory Insurance, which is $1,000-2,000 (depending on how it does at inspection) that I have no desire to blow on a car that I'm only going to need until November.
So.... I need to get rid of my car before the end of August. I think that I have three options:

1) pay the fee to have it hauled off to a junk yard and avoid paying JCI

2) find a poor sap who might be willing to give me a few hundred bucks for it

3) stick on a sign for "Free Car" and see who bites

The front windows don't work, the antenna is missing, the A/C is nice and cold if it's COLD outside the key doesn't work in the passenger door and 50% of the time you can't even get the passenger door open from the inside.
BUT, the engine is perfect, the tires are less than 2 years old, the brakes are perfect, and it has spectacular pick up....

What should I do???

Cookiebaker
07-27-2006, 03:06 AM
Sell it!!! It's better than paying someone to haul it away for you, and at least around here there are always young, broke college students looking for a cheap car. :p

Good luck with it though :)

Sirrahsim
07-27-2006, 03:18 AM
unfortunately there aren't many poor college students here on an overseas military base :( Maybe a poor high schooler who just needs a vehicle to get them to work?

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-27-2006, 04:34 AM
I vote for the second possibility!

Samantha Puppy
07-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Sell it. If it's got a great engine, good brakes and tires, you may get lucky and sell it to someone who likes to tinker around on cars in their spare time so the other quirks won't matter much.

If it gets too close to the time for the JCI, then junk it. But give it a shot selling it first!

kuhio98
07-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Sell "as is" to a GI. They're just about as broke as college students.

lv4dogs
07-27-2006, 11:35 AM
I'd try selling it. If that doesn't work & the end is getting near I'd try to give it away. If that doesn't work then call the junk yard.

Flatcoatluver
07-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Sell it, I am in the process of trying to find a car myself, It's a hassle trying to find someone who will actually will tell me the truth and what the car needs on my budget. Good Luck whatever your choice! :)

RICHARD
07-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Put an ad in the paper.....

Land Assault Vehicle for sale.

Can hold four crew members willing to split the costs for a car to get around the base, bars and other local attractions.
Runs great, rolls better...

Anti theft device on passenger side (key don't fit)
Great winter Air conditioning.

tires hold air...

-------------------------------------

There are always Service men willing to pick up a vehicle to use... :D

Good luck