PDA

View Full Version : Teen seeks alternative to Chemo- Denied

sparks19
07-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Have any of your heard about this?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/07/21/sick.teen.ap/index.html

I think that is terrible. He went through Chemo and it was too much for him. he knows the risk he is taking and his parents support what he wants to do. I don't think the courts have ANY place in deciding what kind of treatment this kid gets.

Maresche
07-26-2006, 01:00 PM
I thought a judge lifted the order. At least until the trial was over.

Karen
07-26-2006, 01:02 PM
He did - this is the more updated story:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/07/25/sick.teen.ap/index.html

Maresche
07-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Thank you Karen! I just found that link.

sparks19
07-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Thank you Karen. I actually hadn't heard that part. Now does that mean that in the meantime he cannot get the treatment in Mexico until after the next court date?

I really don't even understand how this ever ended up in court in the first place.

Cataholic
07-26-2006, 01:34 PM
How did this end up in court? Easy. Someone that presumes to have the child's best interest in mind filed for relief. I don't have a problem with that. Everyday there are other people looking out for the interest of others, thinking they are in the right. And, everyday, sadly, there are parents that presume to be doing the same thing for their child, with detrimental effects.

I would much rather hear of the litigatory process, knowing that both sides are evenly (as much as possible) represented, then, to allow one side to carry on with its way. And, I recognize that others may feel this is just one more example of "Big Brother".

I know modern medical science is, well, science, but herbal supplements seem a little out there to me.

CathyBogart
07-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Has anyone else seen the footage of this boy?

He is smart, really smart. He is very articulate and he has obviously researched his alternatives thoroughly. I have to say I was so impressed seeing him speak, I'm very grateful he's finally winning.

sparks19
07-26-2006, 02:36 PM
How did this end up in court? Easy. Someone that presumes to have the child's best interest in mind filed for relief. I don't have a problem with that. Everyday there are other people looking out for the interest of others, thinking they are in the right. And, everyday, sadly, there are parents that presume to be doing the same thing for their child, with detrimental effects.

I would much rather hear of the litigatory process, knowing that both sides are evenly (as much as possible) represented, then, to allow one side to carry on with its way. And, I recognize that others may feel this is just one more example of "Big Brother".

I know modern medical science is, well, science, but herbal supplements seem a little out there to me.

but he has already tried the medical science way and it has proved to be too painful and too stressful for him. He does not wish to continue with that treatment and I think that is his RIGHT as an American let alone his right as a human being.

Of course a Dr doesn't think it's a good idea to seek holistic and natural remedies. heck when I got sick of being put on pain killer after pain killer for my shoulder with no result I decided to go to a Chiropractor and of course everytime I mentioned this to a Dr I was faced with "well what do you think they can do for you? They aren't going to help you." I went to a Chiropractor and the pain is gone.

Idon't think anyone who hasn't practiced that particular kind of medicine should have any say in whether it will be effective or not.

caseysmom
07-26-2006, 03:32 PM
I think at 16 it should be his call. I have heard that chemo is very effective for putting hodgkins in remission though.

moosmom
07-26-2006, 09:47 PM
I have to say that chemo and radiation saved my daughter's life, along with major brain surgery. While I don't have much respect for doctors (except for brilliant neurosurgeon who operated on Amy), since a certain doctor (ENT) changed my daughter's life forever by misdiagnosing her with a sinus infection, I believe that everyone is entitled to a second opinion as well as seeking whatever treatment they see fit for THEIR lifestyle. The courts have no business interfering.

sparks19
07-27-2006, 10:06 AM
I have to say that chemo and radiation saved my daughter's life, along with major brain surgery. While I don't have much respect for doctors (except for brilliant neurosurgeon who operated on Amy), since a certain doctor (ENT) changed my daughter's life forever by misdiagnosing her with a sinus infection, I believe that everyone is entitled to a second opinion as well as seeking whatever treatment they see fit for THEIR lifestyle. The courts have no business interfering.

That's a terrible story and unfortunately it is not uncommon. My sister in law's mother was getting really bad stomach pains and they kept telling her it was nothing and finally she went to see another Dr and found out she had stomach Cancer.

When dealing with a disease like Cancer how can anyone know if they have the best remedy? There is no cure for Cancer so how can they go to a court and say he has to use Chemo because it's the best. They don't really know that. It works for some people and not for others. Cancer is too unstable for someone to say which therapy is "the best".

moosmom
07-27-2006, 02:45 PM
My daughter was one of the fortunate ones in that she's been in remission for 14 years and considered "cured" by American Cancer Society. I'm not saying chemo is right for everyone. I only know what saved my kid's life. She's one of the lucky ones.

Lady's Human
07-27-2006, 03:04 PM
"Cancer" Is a catch all used to describe many diseases. For some, chemo is ineffective, for others it is HIGHLY effective. The reason the "alternative" treatment is not offered in the US is probably because it is impossible to prove scientifically that it works. In this case, Hodgkin's disease, it is extremely effective.

The legal line is that the child is under 18, therefore a minor under his parents' care. They are required to ensure the welfare of the child. If their alternative medicine choice was prayer, would you support that? Somehow I doubt it, and the courts have also ruled that that is insufficient. If the Hoxley cure was indeed effective, the FDA would probably allow it.

sparks19
07-27-2006, 03:10 PM
"Cancer" Is a catch all used to describe many diseases. For some, chemo is ineffective, for others it is HIGHLY effective. The reason the "alternative" treatment is not offered in the US is probably because it is impossible to prove scientifically that it works. In this case, Hodgkin's disease, it is extremely effective.

The legal line is that the child is under 18, therefore a minor under his parents' care. They are required to ensure the welfare of the child. If their alternative medicine choice was prayer, would you support that? Somehow I doubt it, and the courts have also ruled that that is insufficient. If the Hoxley cure was indeed effective, the FDA would probably allow it.

Actually if prayer was what he decides to do than he should be allowed to do that. I don't think it should be required by law for him to get treatment. Therefore I don't think they should be able to tell him what kind of treatment to use.

There's no proof that it does work but then there isn't any proof that it doesn't.

As for him being under 18 his parents backed his decision. I don't think that is abuse so the courts should stay out of it. If they can start forcing people to use a specific treatment, what's next?

Lady's Human
07-27-2006, 03:15 PM
And if the story was simply "child dies because alternative treatment fails after parents refused the doctors chemo" (which in reality is what it is because the child has no legal say in the matter) there would be a public outcry.

Corinna
07-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Ok for once I must disagree with you LH , having been through this kind of stuff with hubby, FDA only wants the drugs that the doctors and researchers can get big kick backs and big bucks from the government. The are cures for many cancers but our gov. and the Canadian gov does not allow them. they evn have gone as far as conviscating all the data and product made by a holistic doc. and her daughter in Cananda . Luckly they had brains enough to keep duplicate formulas in 3 different locations . It is what has kept my hubbys cancer from returning.
Back to the news article , the young man in question is fully understanding of his choices (Cat I really think it is big brother in this case) becouse he does know the results. Let him choose it's not like he beleives every thing the parents say He has done the research.

sparks19
07-27-2006, 03:23 PM
And if the story was simply "child dies because alternative treatment fails after parents refused the doctors chemo" (which in reality is what it is because the child has no legal say in the matter) there would be a public outcry.

Well that would be a terrible thing because that is not what happened here. If the story was simply that of course there would be a problem but there is so much more to the story. The fact that he tried Chemo for three months and found it to be too much to bear. He may only be 16 but this kid has gone through some things I hope none of us EVER have to go through.

The parents didn't refuse treatment. the child tried that treatment and decided he could not continue and they decided to seek alternative medicines. I think it's terrible the courts can impose this treatment on him. I thought Torture was illegal? Thats what this is, forcing him to go through the pain he has already decided he cannot take is torture. Plain and simple.

K9soul
07-27-2006, 03:33 PM
My personal opinion on this is if the young man and the parents are fully informed on both methods and aware of possible consequences and want to go with the alternative treatment, he should be allowed to do so. At most they could have them sign a form that they are going against medical advice (for lawsuit purposes), but I believe this is too much interference into something that is a personal choice for the family involved. If the young man himself wanted chemo but the parents weren't allowing him and forcing the alternative, that'd be a different situation and I could see legal involvement then.

lizbud
07-27-2006, 04:46 PM

Actually Cancer comes in many different forms. Lung cancer is different in
molecular structure than say, Breast cancer.They are all different cancers
and affect different parts of the body.

I really think the boy's chances are better with the Chemo, but I think
the familes wishes should be followed.