PDA

View Full Version : Help - need ideas for dealing with manager

catnapper
07-26-2006, 07:57 AM
I'm going to try to make this sound as coherent as possible. My manager is cheap. He has a monthly budget and if he stays well under it, he gets a big bonus. Which of course he wants the bonus so makes us all suffer and makes our jobs hard because he won't buy the supplies we need.

Me? I'm the dog trainer. On clicker based, reward based training. People pay $110 for the class. He refuses to let me give out treats (the reward) or the clicker to students. Yes, everyone already brings their own treats, but I have some of my own so that when I'm demonstrating a behavior or walking around to see how everyone is doing, I give the dog my treats instead of begging the doggy owner for a treat. I can't see having everyone show up for the first day of class, and tell them they just paid $110 for the classes, and now they need to shell out another $2-$6 on a clicker. Its CLIKCER BASED TRAINING for Pet'es sake!!! :mad:

Ok, not just the clickers and treats, but after each class, I give out "homework" sheets. That outline everything I covered in that class. They are typically 2 or 3 pages, front and back. I ran out of them a long while ago and have been photocopying them. The copies look AWFUL, and very unprofessional. Remember, people just spent $110 to take this professional class and now get badly run off copies for homework. Anyway.... each time I try to make 5 or 6 copies for a class, it takes me a good 20 minutes because the copier jams. Forget making front and back copies because thats a nightmare with this copier. I end up with one good copy and 20 jammed copies. The official copies are 50 copies of the entire set of classes for $17. He WON'T SPEND IT! :mad: Now, how do I go in and logically argue that copying is MORE expensive than ordering the $17 worth of copies? Tell him that based on the cost of electricity, toner, paper, and my time is far more expensive than just buying it? He'll argue that he'd be paying for my time regardless whether I was in the copy room or out in my training room.

If you've read this far, you got the idea. Sorry for it being so long. I'll be happy to elaborate.... but essentially the cheap guy is out of town this week. I have a full week to formulate a plan of attack to get what I NEED to teach class. I can't train dogs without the proper tools. If I have to, I'll buy the toys and treats I use in class. But you better believe I'll make a huge deal out of buying everything each time I do.

4 Dog Mother
07-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Wow, that's a tough one. As for the clickers, maybe you could talk a local pet store into donating ones with their name on it, so they would get the publicity. As for the copies, maybe if you actually put together a cost of the supplies so he could see first hand how much it actually costs to copy yourself - and remind him that paying you for unjamming the machine is kind of wasted money.

Maybe you could come up with a way of showing it is good publicity to have the better copies - by adding a cover page with his company's name on it and/or information on future classes.

moosmom
07-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Kim,

How about giving him a copy of your post??? I totally agree with you. If I were putting out $110 for doggy obedience classes, I'd sure as hell don't want to worry about being nickle and dimed to death. Any way you can go over his head?? Maybe talk to HIS manager or corporate. I'm SURE they'd see it differently. Are you friends with any of the clients? How about seeing if they can write a letter complaining about having to put out $110 PLUS bring their own treats and buy their own clicker?? I think the whole thing, including the poor copies reflects on YOU, not the manager.

Cheap @$$hole!! :mad:

Rachel
07-26-2006, 08:52 AM
I'd communicate (in a very professional manner) in a memo just what you need to adequately do your job. Be specific as you have here, delineating the reasons for your requests. If he denies your requests, you can write another memo, this time cc his supervisor, advising him that his decision is not only making your job difficult and less effective, it is causing the [store name] training program appear to be second rate. I'm predicting he will respond to your first memo verbally, so you will need to detail in your second memo a reference to your first memo and the entirety of his response to it.

Good luck. There are no guarantees that this will not set off a full fledged war.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-26-2006, 08:54 AM
How about providing the service that his tightfistedness would provide and directing complaints in his direction..........short term awkward for you but if you point out that you're not given the resources to do your job properly he might have to buck his ideas up

Craftlady
07-26-2006, 08:58 AM
I'd print out what you wrote here and carbon copy his boss and corporate.
For pete sake they have a commerical on t.v. about their great pet training they offer at the store.

BOBS DAD
07-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Maybe talk to HIS manager or corporate. I'm SURE they'd see it differently. Are you friends with any of the clients? How about seeing if they can write a letter complaining about having to put out $110 PLUS bring their own treats and buy their own clicker?? I think the whole thing, including the poor copies reflects on YOU, not the manager.

I think the letter about having to shell out 2-6 dollars and the poor quality copy sheets is a good idea, BUT maybe start out with having them sent to the Manager himself. Better be diplomatic though, cause this all can cause undue friction between you and he. You know how all of this works - in the end, he has to think "he made the decision" because "he's the boss" and that's why he gets paid the big money!!!

BOBS DAD
07-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Are you licensed/certified and al that official BS???

Ever think about starting yer own classes and drop his Assssssssss?

lv4dogs
07-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Have you talked to him about this before? If not I strongly suggest doing so, weather it be in person or a memo. If you have and it got you no where (obviously) then I woud take it to corporate. Tell them what you told us, although I'd probably leave out a few things to make it sound more professional, like the caps (yelling) and the like.

catnapper
07-26-2006, 09:17 AM
Problem is, this new thing came directly from his boss! His boss's boss might stop by the store today and of course I will be out of town on a business meeting for my design job. Otherwise I would have happily hung out at work all day unpaid just to talk to the regional higher-up.

I talked to the person who trained me a little bit last night... I couldn't go too deeply into the conversation because my asst. manager was standing right next to me listening, so the conversation consisted solely about clickers (BTW, the ast. manager agrees with me but not enough to put her own butt on the line). Anyway, she said she had troble last year with the dude who's coming to my store this afternoon. He tried to tell her that they can't give out clickers. She went to war and told everyone that even though this is a clicker based training program that the company didn't feel it was necessary to provide clickers. Oh boy did that get a reaction when a swarm of customers converged on them! Problem is, I am not as blunt as she is (she has no fear of loosing her job, while I do) and she also has a HUGE customer base and I do not (yet)

She said if I can't resolve this nicely with my manager to call her back and she'd give me to direct number to the person who WROTE THE CURRICULUM and get HER involved. :eek: :eek:

I'd prefer to solve this rationally and nicely before I pull out guns and wage war. I just need to know how to approach him. He's a fair guy but cheap. I honestly feel that if I can come up with a logical and sound arguement that I'd "win". I have the fact that he really likes me on my side -- he doesn't like too many people. (PS: he named me employee of the month this month :) )

Thanks for the memo idea, but honestly, I have to do this face to face. A memo would get lost on his desk and never see the light of day.

lv4dogs
07-26-2006, 09:21 AM
I know this won't solve the treat issue but if you can get them to purchase at least the papers/copies etc... needed that would be a start. Would it be possible to state that "one must provide their own clickers" on all the papers, posters, etc.. that advertise and explain the classes offered? That would also get rid of the clicker issue.

Good luck.

catnapper
07-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Have you talked to him about this before? If not I strongly suggest doing so, weather it be in person or a memo. If you have and it got you no where (obviously) then I woud take it to corporate. Tell them what you told us, although I'd probably leave out a few things to make it sound more professional, like the caps (yelling) and the like.
I DID talk to him and he kept asking me to get another manager to order things. Then apparently they had a conference call with their boss Monday and he was told the only things they give out are the books for homework. Until he found out that he did NOT have ot provide everything he WAS willing to order things for me, he just never got around to it.

PS: I would greatly apreciate if anyone who mentioned my company edit the name out -- I could get into big time trouble for writing about them . Its in our employee handbook. So if the company can remain annonymous I'd love it! :p

sasvermont
07-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Maybe a little different of a take.

1. I don't think I would want my dog (don't have one :D ) eating treats from another person's pocket. If the dog has a sensitive digestive system etc. it could mean trouble. So, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask the owner for his/her treats.

2. Why don't you email the outline to each person and let them print it out. You won't have to tangle with the awful copier.

3. If they can afford $110 for a dog training course, then the other items are not an issue either. Let them buy their own clicker. Just tell them up front. Or raise the price of the course, to include the clicker and good copies along with treats. If they will pay $110, will they $115? Probably.

BOBS DAD
07-26-2006, 09:37 AM
I know this won't solve the treat issue but if you can get them to purchase at least the papers/copies etc... needed that would be a start. Would it be possible to state that "one must provide their own clickers" on all the papers, posters, etc.. that advertise and explain the classes offered? That would also get rid of the clicker issue.

Good luck.

THAT IS A GREAT IDEA!!! Yes... get it settled and upfront from the beginning. That way, you are not the bad guy when the Clicker issue arises!!!

catnapper
07-26-2006, 09:47 AM
Maybe a little different of a take.

1. I don't think I would want my dog (don't have one :D ) eating treats from another person's pocket. If the dog has a sensitive digestive system etc. it could mean trouble. So, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask the owner for his/her treats.

2. Why don't you email the outline to each person and let them print it out. You won't have to tangle with the awful copier.

3. If they can afford $110 for a dog training course, then the other items are not an issue either. Let them buy their own clicker. Just tell them up front. Or raise the price of the course, to include the clicker and good copies along with treats. If they will pay $110, will they $115? Probably.
I always ask before I give dogs the reats. I know from ersonal experience (Miss Nicki) what the wrng treat can do.

Most people refuse to give me their home email for fear they'll get spam. Even after I promise they won't be spammed.

Trust, me most people around her CAN'T afford the class but take it anyway looking for hope with dealing with their dogs. They balk at me up front telling them to buy their own treats. They expect freebies.... a lot of the other local training places give out TONS of freebies like coupons for free grooming, etc. I live in a cheap cheap cheap area. Good old Penssylvania Dutch that won't part with a penny to save their lives. Trust me, they are a world unto their own and its taken me 5 years to fully undertsand the people here. I can't believe they are so different than what I was use to 60 miles away

Thanks for all the ideas so far though! :)

lv4dogs
07-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Oh the joys of dealing with the public. lol It can often be frustrating thats for sure. The customer is always "right". lol lol
You can out on a limb all you want, you are never going to make everyone happy all the time.

I have attended and assisted with MANY different obedience and agility classes and I have NEVER got anything free nor did any of the classes I assisted with hand out anything for free.
One class I took (actually 2 classes but the same location & instructor) was through the local humane society. In that class we did have free treats BUT they were free because we the students doanted them. Our instructor was not afraid to ask for donations either. (it was a little different though as it was through a privatly owned shelter). Maybe politely ask if anyone could donate a bag for the class to use when you do demonstrations.

I honestly thought that you the student always had to supply your own treats, leashes, collars, clickers, and whatever else is needed (besides actual agility equipment in agility class).

If you can't get anywhere with them I would just deal with what you have. It won't be long before people start dropping out or stop signing up for new classes. Maybe your boss will then see that they need to do more.

The idea of upping the price $5 or so is a great idea. Take that to your manager and see if they can include a clicker if the price is higher. After all a clicker only cost $1, thats $4 profit for them.

moosmom
07-26-2006, 10:27 AM
My best friend Susie is so cheap that (and I'm quoting HER :eek: ) "she can squeeze a nickel till the buffalo cries (or poops, whichever you prefer). It's a joke between us and SHE know she's cheap, but I love her to death!!