PDA

View Full Version : Back to work...pics...

Glacier
07-25-2006, 11:54 PM
The huskies went back to work tonight! Our neighbor's niece is visiting from Germany and she'd never seen sled dogs before. Not nearly as much fun as a sled ride, but she came for an ATV training run with us tonight.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/06/holdup.jpg
The dogs went nuts as soon as I got the harnesses out. They haven't seen their harnesses since April 22. The noise was deafening!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/06/paxilyell.jpg
I know it's technically a lousy picture, but I love it! Paxil--ten years old, chronic pancreatitis, fought cancer twice and still screaming to run! I have given her the option of full retirement to the couch, she has so far refused! She almost broke my ankle tonight trying to get through the gate. NO way was she being left behind. She never missed a stride, responded instantly to every command. Sled dogs come no better than my Paxil!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/06/firstrun.jpg
I thought it was too warm for them to run very far tonight, so we stopped for a break after 2km. The dogs disagreed with my decision! The break was short and they continued for the rest of the 5km loop uninterupted.

I'm so proud of these guys. Every dog in tonight's team is a rescued shelter dog or rehomed from another musher. They ran like Iditarod pros tonight, after three months of no training. The girl we took out tonight is overcoming a huge fear of dogs and these guys definately helped her!

DrKym
07-25-2006, 11:57 PM
WOW what beautiful dogs and Paxil looks so eager! Can we come up for a sled ride? ::starts praying for snow::

lute
07-26-2006, 12:00 AM
lovely dogs. it must be a beautiful sound to hear the huskies so eager like that. :D

K9karen
07-26-2006, 12:05 AM
The whole scene took my breath away! Such a beautiful sight to this city girl! I can't wait to see your winter pictures! Paxil sure is special, isn't she? One of a kind for sure

Glacier
07-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Paxil sure is special, isn't she? One of a kind for sure

She is a special dog, a remarkable creature, but she was trained by my Sleet as a puppy. She's very much like Sleet. Between them, they are the two dogs who changed my life. Paxil was my leader the very first time I ever drove a dog team. Sleet was my first "real sled dog". Without Sleet I'd still be standing the yard trying to figure out what to do next! Without Paxil I'd have never even thought to try.

elizabethann
07-26-2006, 07:50 AM
That's such a great story. Sounds like the dogs were in their element last night (including Paxil). Good for them. :)

Queen of Poop
07-26-2006, 08:15 AM
An excellent outing for everyone!! Looks like the doggies are ready for some snow. Paxil, you are a very special girl, but take it easy on mommie, a broken ankle wouldn't be a good thing. Glad everyone had fun.

lv4dogs
07-26-2006, 08:23 AM
What an amazing event. I am so proud of your dogs, obeying & remembering everything, giving someone the opportunity to experience a sled ride (ok atv ride) and to help her also overcome her fear of dogs. Way to go team!

Your pups are so beautiful! I love every thread about them.

sparks19
07-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Great pics. It looks like they are having a blast.

Glacier
07-26-2006, 06:29 PM
WOW what beautiful dogs and Paxil looks so eager! Can we come up for a sled ride? ::starts praying for snow::

Sure, come on up. There should be enough snow by November 20 or so. We do more tours every year it seems! The dogs prefer payment in the form of food! :D

DrKym
07-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Checks freezer for food YAY lots of Raw ! now to start packing....................................

Ginger's Mom
07-26-2006, 07:20 PM
What great pictures and a great story too. I love tha picture of them all lined up waiting to be harnessed. And I laughed when I saw the one guy (sorry don't know who it is-Delta?) looking back at you like, "What are we waiting for?" Too cute. :)

zoomer
07-26-2006, 08:30 PM
I like the one of one of your pups barking! All your dogs are so cute.

Glacier
07-26-2006, 08:33 PM
And I laughed when I saw the one guy (sorry don't know who it is-Delta?) looking back at you like, "What are we waiting for?" Too cute. :)

That's Antare, Delta's littermate. Antare hates to stop.

ramanth
07-26-2006, 09:05 PM
I love seeing your crew Tamara. It's obvious they had fun. Did the neighbor's neice enjoy herself?

:D

k9krazee
07-26-2006, 09:24 PM
What a happy bunch of dogs! :D

Ginger's Mom
07-26-2006, 09:39 PM
That's Antare, Delta's littermate. Antare hates to stop.
LOL...oops...I am one of Antare's biggest fans, I usually think he is super handsome. I picked on Delta this time because I thought, well it looks like Antare, but it's not as cute. :rolleyes: :D

Glacier
07-27-2006, 12:37 AM
I love seeing your crew Tamara. It's obvious they had fun. Did the neighbor's neice enjoy herself?

:D

She did, so much so that she convinced her Dad to come for a ride tonight in the rain!

Glacier
07-27-2006, 11:35 AM
LOL...oops...I am one of Antare's biggest fans, I usually think he is super handsome. I picked on Delta this time because I thought, well it looks like Antare, but it's not as cute. :rolleyes: :D

LOL, here's a cuter one of him for you!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/smileyantare.jpg
Being a smiley little guy a few days ago.

Ginger's Mom
07-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Ah yes, there he is. :D *swoon* Don't you just love that face? He is so cute.

JenBKR
07-27-2006, 12:31 PM
They look so happy :D Great job doggies ;)

Anita Cholaine
07-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Aww... I love those happy faces!! :D

Dorothy39
07-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Oh My Goodness, The PICTURES YOU POSTED OF YOUR HUSKIES!!!!!!!

I've never seen sled dogs either!!! What I would give to step into those scenes!!! Especially the one where you stopped for the break!!!!

Yes, I think I will come on up for a SLED RIDE!!! Your training with your dogs amazes me. I'm in love with sled dogs now as well.

More pictures this winter, PLEASE!!!!

Paxil's story was awe inspiring, as your description of getting out their harnesses put me there, I mean, I could almost HEAR their loud barking!!!

How warm should I dress for the sled ride? Typical Michigan in November is more cold rain, gray skies, than snow. I've got an old snowmobile suit and good winter boots, (hope I don't scare your dogs) :eek: MUSH!!!!

Me and Dr. Goodnow will come on up!! :D

cyber-sibes
07-27-2006, 05:42 PM
YEAH! Back in harness!!! Everyone looks like they had a wonderful time and just can't quite figure out why they have to stop! You have such an amazing group of dogs, Tamara. So many stories...I absolutely love reading your posts!