PDA

View Full Version : an interesting dog book

IRescue452
07-25-2006, 06:08 PM
I just thought this was funny. I got a copy of Simon and Schuster's guide to dogs at goodwill. Keep in mind this is copywritten in 1980. I find it interesting to find out how little was known about dogs back then (although these authors aren't really into research themselves). I like how its all pictures and descriptions of working dogs, unlike all of my other breed encyclopedias which are mostly show dogs. They have many breeds split up, like three different Japanese chins and two different silky terriers, I suppose this is because the silky wasn't fully developed and the chin was new to Americans. They have many dogs with no known origin, like the Scottish deerhound. No known origin on an older aristocratic breed? They have pictures mixed up, a lab under the golden retriever description and a welsh springer under foxhound! They also have boxers and great danes split up by colour and each colour is a seperate breed. Is the tawny dane really that different from the bringle and black?

Suki Wingy
07-25-2006, 06:46 PM
I have that book. :) It is funny how fawn danes are called tawny and that they are split up. I think they have some bad pics though, look at the tibetan terrier, it's just a snapshot taken with a flash in someone's dirty home.

lute
07-25-2006, 06:48 PM
i have that book too!LOL i have lots of other older dog books too. i love looking back and seeing how much we've learned about dogs over time.

IRescue452
07-25-2006, 08:52 PM
I like the light coloured tibetan terrier, a colour you don't see in shows often. Its not bad that they are taken in a home, they have natural pictures of working dogs more so than pictures of groomed and primped show dogs. I do think they did a sloppy job of matching pictures to the dog and to the description.