PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh!

ChessyFreak
07-25-2006, 12:30 PM
I have a Chessy that is almost a year old. He is in our house almost all of the time, because we can't keep him outside because of barking and neighbors calling the "doggie police". If he goes out on his own and is in a cage or tied up he barks, and barks and barks. Though I have told him repeatly not to do so...Gunner "NO!", and this goes on 'til I give in and let him inside. In fear the neighbors will call again. But, this it not the only problem.......Gunner is restricted to the kitchen because he likes to take things that don't belong to him and destroy them. --Toys, blankets, diapers.......uh.....So we have him babygated in the kitchen, where he can see us. The problem is he likes to take anything and everything off of the counter. We even put ALL food away, but he still has a need to take everything off of the counter, I don't get it! And, He knows it is wrong! He sulks in the corner when we come out to the kitchen! What is wrong with my dog????? Not to mention all the jumping....I take him for walks everyday, I throw a ball for him for at least a half hour if not more, and he still is bad. I have two children, (three including him), and my husband and I are at our wits end. I love him dearly, but, I need help, and fast......HELP ME!!!!

Marigold2
07-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Hi,
I am so sorry you are having all these problems. Have you considered Doggy Training Classes at your locale vet or at a place like PetsMart or Petco? Perhpas he just needs some manners training. Good Luck. Marilgold2

mariafd18
07-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Hi,
I am so sorry you are having all these problems. Have you considered Doggy Training Classes at your locale vet or at a place like PetsMart or Petco? Perhpas he just needs some manners training. Good Luck. Marilgold2

I think you should take Marigold2's advice.. My male pitbull was like that but without the barking. He broke EVERYTHING when we werent home, and we bought him a good, expensive cage for him to stay in while we went out to work. Somehow he always managed to get out. Well, i really recoment those dog training classes. They might be a little pricey but the outcome is for life. No more broken things at home and he will listen to you in a heartbeat. :) good luck... keep us updated to see how he is doing.

areias
07-31-2006, 12:12 AM
This should probably be moved to dog behavior. :) But, how much excercise does he get? It sounds like he is bored. Retriever dogs need a lot of exercise...a 30 minute walk once a day is NOT enough. He needs to be stimulated-running, swimming, playing fetch and hide and seek, dog parks are all great. Physical sometimes isn't enough either, he needs to have some daily training sessions, vary it up so he dosen't get bored. A good game to play is this-get him really excited, playing with a toy, running around, and then 5 minutes into the session-make him sit! let him get up, run around again, and have him lay down! this stimulates both physical and mental factors. Also, teach him the 'leave it' command.