PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Cool Classes!

Toby's my baby
07-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Yesterday, me, my sister, and my parents went to the high school to register me and my sister. We decided to transfer schools so we could take more classes. At my old school, you didn't really get to pick what you were in, you got to choose between art, choir, and band. In the new school (which is at LEAST 5x bigger than my last school) you have a LOT more choices. With my electives, I'll put the definition of the class so you get a feel for what it is. These are the courses I'll be taking this year...

Manditory -

Communications (English)
Physical Education & Health
Algebra
Civics
College Prep Physical Science (you can chose between college prep, or just the regular)

and my electives -

Exploring Agriculture - Have you ever wanted to pick what you learn in class? This is exactly what we do on the first day of Exploring Agriculture. As a class we will brainstorm a variety of topics that interest the class and explore them. They might include: where our food comes from, different types of animals (from zebras to whitetail deer), wildlife, floral design/corsage making, llamas, small animals, horses, greenhouses, landscaping, aqua culture (fish farming), just about anything is fair game in the field of agriculture.

Small Animal Management 1 - If you love dogs and cats, then this is the class for you. This course will deal primarily on the principles of the small animal industry, animal and human safety, animal rights and welfare, animal careers, animal nutrition, and the dog and cat industry. A large amount of time will be spent on the care, management, selection, identifying, health and disease of dogs and cats. We will also ventrue to the Humane Society to have hands on activites with these animals.

Small Animal Management 2 - Creepy crawlers, fuzzy critters, squeaky noises...If you like animals that might fit into one of these categories, then this is the class for you. This class will explore all the different areas that we are able to go through in Small Animal Management 1. Be prepared to look deeper into health and diseases of companion animals, ferrets, chinchillas, rabbits, hamsters, gerbils, rats/mice, snakes, birds, fish, reptiles, and amphibians. You will be learning how to select, feed, care and identify the above animals. This class will also venture over to Grand Forks (the next largest town) to PetCo to have hands on activites with these animals.

Integrated Computers/ Microsoft Office - If you want to maximize the use of the computer, this class is for you!! Integrated Computers gives students hands on experience creating a wide variety of projects using Microstof Office's Word, Excel, and Power Point. Considered the software of choise in the business world, this will provide students with a basic introduction to each of these powerful tools. Safari and Internet Explorer, two pieces of internet software, will also be used for creating and locating data for student projects.

Intro to Business: Money Management - This course is designed to introduce students to the challenges of managing their money wisely. In this course students will use simulations that will teach them how to buy and finance that first vehicle or house, save for that dream vacation, and invest so one can retire at an early age.

I am very excited about these classes. I wanted to take Biology too, but my parents wouldnt allow me to take College Prep physical science and biology at the same time. :( I'll have time for it later though. It was SO hard to pick out classes, and get 8 credits in, all the electives are only 1/2 credit, so you have a lot to pick from! :)

JenBKR
07-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Those classes sound great - I especially like the agriculture and small animal classes. Sounds like you made the right choice changing schools, good luck!

Anita Cholaine
07-25-2006, 12:49 PM
It's awesome that you have so many classes to choose in your school. We can't choose any of our classes in mine, and I hate that...
The ones you chose sound really interesting ;)

Flatcoatluver
07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Wow you are so lucky you have those classes!! i would love to a animal class!! In my new school I am taking a marine biology class though.

lizbud
07-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Must be a great school. All the electives sound wonderful.

Toby's my baby
07-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Yes, I am very excited about the new school. I THOUGHT picking classes was going to be a blast, but it is so hard and stressful.

I'm so excited about all the classes with animals, because the teacher is a very good friend of mine. She happens to be our 4-H leader of our horse 4-H club, Bits and Bridles, and she is my riding instructer. I'm also hoping to buy a horse from her, you can see him here (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=109526) . I'm very excited for school to start!! :D