PDA

View Full Version : Gardening advice please – anyone know about Hepatica?

Killearn Kitties
07-25-2006, 05:08 AM
I have a few little Hepatica plants and they have never flowered. I have had them maybe six years, the leaves come up every year and look healthy, but I have not had so much as a single flower. When I bought them the description said they were ideal in containers, particularly clay (they are in a terracotta pot) and the variety I bought suited sun or partial shade, both of which they get throughout the day. I have attached a picture.

Does anybody have any experience with these plants or advice on how to get them to flower?

Pawsitive Thinking
07-25-2006, 05:11 AM
You should pm this to Lut for Mr Green Fingers himself!

Killearn Kitties
07-25-2006, 05:17 AM
:D Yes I thought about doing that when they come back. I would like to ask for the benefit of Bernard's experience.

Killearn Kitties
07-26-2006, 05:05 AM
I have managed to attach a picture now, in case someone recognises it.

sasvermont
07-26-2006, 07:38 AM
Hepatica acutiloba DC.
Common name(s): Sharp-lobed hepatica, heart liverleaf, sharp-lobed liverwort, spring beauty, may-flower
Family: Ranunculaceae
Type: Perennial
Size: 12" high
Texture: Medium
Hardiness: Zone 4a USDA
Range: Maine . Quebec . Georgia . Minnesota

Introduction:

All the woodland path is broken
By warm tints along the way
And the low and sunny slope
When there comes the silent token
Of an April day
Blue hepatica!
"Hepatica" Dora Read Goodale (1866-1915), American

I find it difficult to believe that Hepatica acutiloba hasn't stolen away the hearts of more gardeners worldwide. Those dainty white to pink flowers last for months at a time when little else is blooming, later giving way to beautifully glossy, clean foliage. The blossoms almost remind me of a March-blooming daisy.

It's not a particularly picky plant, although it does need a cold winter to survive and some shade to protect it from the sun's harmful rays. It doesn't hurt to give it some good humus, but this is a plant that will take care of itself. Just let it do its own thing, and you'll be rewarded ten-fold.

A swarm of controversy surrounds the nomenclature of this species discussions have been going on for decades about this plant's parentage and species status. According to Swink & Wilhelm, Steyermark & Steyermark classified H. acutiloba DC. as H. nobilis Mill. var. acuta (Pursh) Steyerm. in 1960. Correspondingly, H. americana DC. was considered to be H. nobilis Mill. var obtusa (Pursh) Steyerm.

The basis for this reclassification was grounded in studies throughout Barrington in Lake County, Illinois, in which the two scientists discovered that H. americana tended to be present on more acid, leached soils at the tops of ravines and slopes, while H. acutiloba was found in more neutral and richer creek bottoms. The boundaries between the two species often crossed, and this intergradation prompted a proposed name change that taxonomists still debate to this day.

Foliage:

Broad and heart-shaped, the leaves get up to 2" in breadth and width. They tend to be dark green and leathery with a smooth surface above, although the undersides are covered with dense hairs.
In autumn, the leaves turn shades of russet and purple to persist through winter. It is critical that the leaves remain during the winter months, as the plant continues to use them as a source of nourishment.

Taxonomic description:

3-lobed, acute or acutish, toothed or lobed again, 2" long and broad leathery. Basal and long-stalked, densely pubescent below and smooth above.

Flowers:

Ranging from pale pink or lavender-purple to pure white, these flowers seem to last forever. First opening in mid-March in the Chicago area, they last up to two months before fading. At up to 1" in diameter, they're fairly noticeable. Interestingly enough, this species has no petals, but instead presents showy bracts surrounding a large number of delicate sepals, which in turn frame dainty yellow stamens.
Taxonomic description:

1/2 to 1" across, pale pink-purple or white, in spring. Apetalous, but 6-15 oblong or oval, obtuse, sepals and numerous small yellow stamens central. Perfect, calyx 3-lobed. Borne singularly on upright stalks.

H. acutiloba in full bloom

Fruit:

Supposedly a favorite of chipmunks, the fruit is present appears in early summer. Oblong and sharp-pointed, they can get up to 2" long and are covered with silky hairs.
Taxonomic description:

2" long hairy, oblong, and acute achenes in early summer.

Pathology:

There are few pest or disease problems with H. acutiloba.
Propagation:

Emerging H. acutiloba flowers

Select for a larger image! This species can be propagated by seed or division.
If grown from seed, they should be stratified for 2-4 weeks or overwinted outdoors in shaded seed beds. The soil mix should be moderately well-drained and semi-rich, but with a neutral pH. Germination should be achieved in 2 weeks if grown between 60° and 70°F. Plants will not bloom until three years older or more.

Division should be performed in autumn. Take care not break off the leaves, as these are necessary as a source of nourishment during winter months. Plant so leaf buds are just at the soil surface, then mulch lightly.

Culture:

Once established, this species is about as low maintenance as you can get. The key to its success is semi-rich soil with a neutral pH. In hot climates, shade is critical, or the plant will burn severely.
Suggested uses:

If you have a shady corner that needs naturalization, use this plant! For some reason we don't see Hepatica used very often in gardens, but it is an excellent early spring bloomer that can brighten any corner.
They are best used in clumps of two or three, or for a greater effect, scattered unevenly beneath tree canopies and in ravines.

Companion plants:

Mesic woods:

Acer saccharum, Fraxinus americana, Ostrya virginiana, Parthenocissus quinquefolia Prunus virginia, Quercus rubra, Sambucus canadensis, Tilia americana, Allium tricoccum, Claytonia virginica, Dentaria laciniata, Dicentra cucullaria, Galium aparine, Geranium maculatum, Hydrophyllum virginianum, Osmorhiza claytonii, Phlox divaricata, Podophyllum peltatum, Sanguinaria canadensis, Sanicula gregaria, Smilacina racemosa, Thalictrum dioicum, Trillium grandiflorum, Trillium recurvatum.
Eastern US associates may also include:

Dicentra canadensis, Erigenia bulbosa, Erythronium americanum, Euonymus obovatus, Fagus grandifolia, Lindera benzoin, Panax trifolius, Polygonatum pubescens, Polystichum acrostichoides, Ribes cynosbati, Viburnum acerifolium.
Medicinal uses:

Although Hepatica is no longer popular as an herbal remedy, it does act as a mild astringent and diuretic. It is also supposed to stimulate gall bladder production, resulting in limited success as a laxative.
Although the leaves will stop bleeding, they are also extremely irritating to the skin and should not be placed on open wounds. Large doses can produce symptoms of poisoning.

However, not too long ago Hepatica was viewed as the cure-all for most ailments. The Greeks named the plant 'heper', meaning liver (named after the leaf shape), and prescribed it for liver disorders. It was believed that a dose of liverleaf cured all liver diseases or their symptoms: freckles, indigestion, or cowardice.

In North America, Native Americans used the plant as a tea to soothe coughs, irritated throats, and as a wash for sore breasts.

By the 1820's Hepatica had fallen into disuse throughout Europe, but its popularity in America was rapidly growing. In 1859 it was the prime ingredient in "Dr. Roder's Liverwort and Tar Sirup", and was often used as a cure for kidney problems. In the 1883 over 450,000 pounds of dried leaves were harvested for export or domestic use, although its effectiveness was often a reason for debate amongst doctors. For this reason it eventually fell into disuse once again.

References:

Britton, Nathaniel Lord and Addison Brown. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States and Canada, vol II. New York: Dover, 1970.
Griffiths, M. The Index of Garden Plants. Portland: Timber Press, 1994.
Keville, Kathi. The Illustrated Herb Encyclopedia. New York: Mallard Press, 1991.
Marshall, Nina T. The Gardener's Guide to Plant Conservation. Washington D.C: World Wildlife Fund, 1993.
Mohlenbrock, Robert H. Guide to the Vascular Flora of Illinois. Carbondale: Southern Illinois University, 1986.
Newcomb, Lawrence. Newcomb's Wildflower Guide. Boston: Little Brown, 1977.
Swink, Floyd and Gerould Wilhelm. Plants of the Chicago Region. Lisle: Morton Arboretum, 1994.
Walters, Dirk R. and David J. Keil. Vascular Plant Taxonomy, Third Edition. Dubuque: Kendall / Hunt, 1977.
Wyman, Donald. Wyman's Gardening Encyclopedia. New York: MacMillan, 1986.

Christopher Lindsey is an avid horticulturalist, computer geek, and the President/CEO of Mallorn Computing, Inc.

Killearn Kitties
07-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Thank you very much! That is a good article. I just don't see why my plants won't flower. To my mind they have all the conditions they need. The only thing - the article says if you are replanting after splitting the plants, to make sure that the leaf bud is level with the ground. I wonder whether mine are planted too deeply? I shall investigate this evening.

Lizzie
07-26-2006, 11:37 AM
I don't know about Hepatica, but I do know that my Peonies didn't bloom well the first year because I planted them just a little too deep. It's so natural to feel that you should cover up the lower part of the plant in order to protect and nourish it, but some need to sit partly on the surface. It used to make me shudder to see the way the German Iris rhizomes moved themselves gradually right onto the surface of the soil on my hot hill, but they thrived.

Killearn Kitties
07-26-2006, 03:44 PM
I know what you mean about the way those Irises grow. It doesn't look natural, all those rhizomes on the surface. Looking at my Hepatica tonight, I suspect that they are planted too deeply. I will replant them and let you know next March whether they flower.

Stay tuned!

Killearn Kitties
05-18-2007, 03:30 PM
I am sad to report that even after replanting, my Hepatica did not flower this year either. I think my last resort is to speak to them very severely and threaten them with the bin!

JenBKR
05-18-2007, 03:45 PM
I am sad to report that even after replanting, my Hepatica did not flower this year either. I think my last resort is to speak to them very severely and threaten them with the bin!

Threaten to sing to them - they should be growing by tonight ;)

Killearn Kitties
05-18-2007, 03:46 PM
:D A nice idea! I have never tried that!

If you don't see me for a few days, you will know that the neighbours have had me arrested.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Grab hold of Alan Titchmarsh at the Chelsea Flower Show and refuse to let go until he solves this dilemma (Jen and I do a great line in cakes containing files...)

Killearn Kitties
05-18-2007, 03:52 PM
Oh good plan! I might just seek his advice.

Stand by with the cake mixture though ...

JenBKR
05-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Grab hold of Alan Titchmarsh at the Chelsea Flower Show and refuse to let go until he solves this dilemma (Jen and I do a great line in cakes containing files...)

We sure do! Although, you might not want to actually eat the cake....we can't guarantee taste.....

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-19-2007, 06:48 AM
You should pm this to Lut for Mr Green Fingers himself!

Hehe,I just found this thread (saturday lunchtime). Believe it or not, but my hubby (and me!) never heard about this flower :rolleyes: ! I looked it up on Google and showed the pics to Bernard, but he never saw it before... :eek:
He he, My Mr. Green Fingers is not perfect :p :D ;)

Killearn Kitties
05-19-2007, 07:45 AM
Believe it or not, but my hubby (and me!) never heard about this flower :rolleyes: ! I looked it up on Google and showed the pics to Bernard, but he never saw it before... :eek:

Oh well, thanks anyway!

Killearn Kitties
02-26-2009, 06:32 AM
Ladies, you are not going to believe this, but I was doing a bit of sweeping up in the garden last Saturday and guess what I saw?

Hepatica flowers! Yay! I've only had the plants about 10 years! Hopefully they've got the hang of it now.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/karen31358/Miscellaneous/Hepaticacloseup.jpg

I'm so happy. :D

RICHARD
02-26-2009, 09:02 AM
TIme and patience?:D

Congratulations!

Cataholic
02-26-2009, 09:14 AM
I thought maybe the grey ladies were using a special kind of water (if you get my meaning) and that was causing them not to flower? LOL...

OR, is it possible the greys graze on them?

Edwina's Secretary
02-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Good things comes to those who wait! Lovely, very lovely and so Springlike!

Obviously, they were just in the slow group!:D

cassiesmom
02-26-2009, 10:56 AM
What a pretty picture to see on an overcast day in Chicago! I'm glad your plant has flowered, KK - the blooms are very pretty and so is the photo! Thank you for sharing it!

Pinot's Mom
02-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Congrats on your blooms - and hopes for many more! :)

lizbud
02-26-2009, 11:57 AM
They are beautiful. Congrats on your patience:)

Sonia59
02-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Wow, a lot of patience was necessary! What a reward! :)

Daisy and Delilah
02-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Congratulations!! Those are beautiful.:)