PDA

View Full Version : Another new Betta! Yay!

zoomer
07-24-2006, 10:07 PM
I got another new Betta! I was reading about them and we had this extra tank running, my dad wanted to use it for all different kinds of fish, and I read they could be with the fish listed. So, I picked out one of the most handsome ones there, a blue and purple one with a circular tail... I forgot what kind of tail it's called though... ANYWAY, his name's Fiery and he is not the nicest Betta ( :rolleyes: ) but the healthiest there, so I got him! His name is Fiery and he lives with a platty, a couple guppies, and a couple neons. He's eaten a couple of the neons because they're so small... but I don't like them anyway, LOL. Okay, enough of the jabbering. Here he is!

Oh, also, I bought a couple more tanks with my money. 2 dividers and one new tank. One of the dividers is to divide Darmin's big tank into two, and the other divider is for a little bit smaller tank for two. Oh jeesh... I've got bitten really bad by the Betta bug... LOL

Argranade
07-24-2006, 10:11 PM
It seem blue is the popular colour these postings lol.

Its a nice fish but uhhh...it ate the neons O.o couldent you have just found them a new home? I dunno..

But a nice looking fish it is and I like the name.

Christmas_Hamster
07-24-2006, 10:13 PM
Very handsome :)

I luv blue bettas

But you should have had him in a tank/bowl all to himself for a few weeks to see if he was aggresive or not. rip neons.

Flatcoatluver
07-24-2006, 10:20 PM
He's eaten a couple of the neons because they're so small... but I don't like them anyway, LOL.

OK this makes me very angry, I am sorry but fish are apart of the family. That is very disgusting that you basically didn't watch him in the tank and just let him eat the neons. :rolleyes: RIP NEONS

buttercup132
07-24-2006, 10:26 PM
He's eaten a couple of the neons because they're so small... but I don't like them anyway, WHAT THE ...!!! I'm sorry but I think youve just written that KNOWING it would cause a argument.
That is in no way something to be posting on here!
Thats like saying "Oh my dog got attacked and killed by a bigger dog but who cares I didnt like him anyways" And the new one is better. So that makes it ok that the poor fish had to go through that pain because you didnt like them!!??!?!
:rolleyes: :mad:

Christmas_Hamster
07-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Lets not start an argument. What we can do instead is help correct the problem so it doesn't happen again. We can do this by suggesting to find a nice calm boy/girl betta and then watching them for a few weeks to see how agressive they are. If they seem to mean then don't add. But if they seem fairly calm then gice it a whirl. But fish eating other fish is a problem with keeping communtiy tanks and a risk that need careful thought. :)

IRescue452
07-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Are you or your dad experienced in fish at all? Neon tetras are one of the most fragile fish you can buy. They probably won't survive the cycle.
You really should have waited until you found out the personality of the betta. You can mix aggressive and placid tropicals, but you'll want to have a tank that is big enough and a stocking plan that doesn't cause much stress to the small fish. Tetras are a schooling fish and you should always have more than a "couple" in a tank with a potential predator. Platies can do fine in that water. I consider them a coldwater fish but they can live in trop tanks.

Roxyluvsme13
07-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Apparently you haven't done your research.. =/. Some of those fish aren't compatible with bettas AT ALL.

Zippy
07-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Please take your betta Fiery and put him in the new tank you got.

zoomer
07-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Jeesh... didn't think it was that big of a deal :rolleyes:

It said in the book they ate small fish anyway, they could be food or not. They were feeder fish at the pet store...

Roxyluvsme13
07-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Jeesh... didn't think it was that big of a deal :rolleyes:

It said in the book they ate small fish anyway, they could be food or not. They were feeder fish at the pet store...
But that wasn't their intended purpose was it? They were intended to be kept as pets just like any other of your fish. If your bettas got eaten by a bigger fish, because you didn't do your research would you say, oh I didn't like them much anyways? :rolleyes:

zoomer
07-26-2006, 09:55 AM
But that wasn't their intended purpose was it? They were intended to be kept as pets just like any other of your fish. If your bettas got eaten by a bigger fish, because you didn't do your research would you say, oh I didn't like them much anyways? :rolleyes:

No. The neons were at the pet store for feeder fish, correct? At my house, they were to be eaten or not to be eaten, if they didn't, good, we'd name them and keep them as pets, if the got eaten... :(

Roxyluvsme13
07-26-2006, 11:06 AM
No. The neons were at the pet store for feeder fish, correct? At my house, they were to be eaten or not to be eaten, if they didn't, good, we'd name them and keep them as pets, if the got eaten... :(
Yes, but you didn't buy them for that intended purpose. They were bought to be kept as pets no matter what you say.

K9soul
07-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Please Read (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=109496&page=1&pp=15) Fish should not be bought on a whim, and their care should be taken seriously. It can be expensive and time consuming if you do all that's needed for them. I'm not saying you are or aren't, but please read that link, it's an excellent post.

P.S. I've never seen neons sold as feeder fish. Just goldfish..

lute
07-26-2006, 12:52 PM
P.S. I've never seen neons sold as feeder fish. Just goldfish..
me neither. i barely even see goldfish for feeder fish.

IRescue452
07-26-2006, 01:12 PM
I think you are probably mistaking feeder guppies and neons. Feeder guppies have red and green stripes just like they are tiny neon tetras.

lute
07-26-2006, 02:33 PM
I think you are probably mistaking feeder guppies and neons. Feeder guppies have red and green stripes just like they are tiny neon tetras.

i've never heard of feeder guppies. i couldn't imagin feeding my guppies to something. :(

IRescue452
07-26-2006, 02:51 PM
I can't imagine feeding my comets and commons to something but everything has to eat. Feeder guppies are very common, I can't believe you haven't heard of them. I think clouds, rosy reds, guppies, and comets are the most common feeder fish.

lute
07-26-2006, 05:14 PM
maybe i havn't seen them because i havn't looked for them. are they always labled "feeder fish"?

bckrazy
07-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Actually, Bettas do not eat other fish, normally. They eat larvae, small worms, water fleas, etc... not adult fish. Your Tetras were probably repeatedly attacked before they died. And, I can bet anything that if your Betta killed the Tetras, it is not a matter of if he will kill your guppies - it's a matter of when.

Please give Mr. Betta his own, roomy tank. =) He is not suited to be around a bunch of male Guppies, you might as well throw him into a tank with other Bettas.

zoomer
07-26-2006, 08:23 PM
I'll consider moving him, I'll have to talk to my parents about it first though. Sorry for the misunderstanding..