PDA

View Full Version : China Rose's pets seized

Paul
07-24-2006, 09:52 PM
   Armed game wardens seize Cuong Ly's pet koi of fifteen years and sell them to a pet store where he buys them back.

From the Boston Globe article (http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/articles/2006/07/24/restaurant_owner_shaken_by_seizure_of_fish_from_ta nk/):

"They treated me like a criminal," said Cuong Ly, who escaped from Vietnam 25 years ago. "I lived under communism and I felt like I'm back there again."

The Portsmouth Herald News (http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/special/7_24special5.htm) may be easier to access (sometimes the Globe requires registration).

Paul

critter crazy
07-24-2006, 10:04 PM
How can they take them if they have been there for 15 yrs?? That dosent make any sense!!!! Absolutely rediculous!! dont they have anything better to do??:confused:

DrKym
07-24-2006, 10:04 PM
OMG what idiots! can't type I 'm sputtering! Take the fish after 15 yrs then place them to be sold after determining that they are illegal..................ah our legal system at work!

mrspunkysmom
07-24-2006, 11:03 PM
I was going to be silly and say, "there's something fishy here", but thought otherwise.

There is more to this story than is being told. Either some competition or a disgruntled customer is behind this. Just wait and see.

Hopefully he'll find a lawyer that supports him and doesn't just take his money.

Anne

Lady's Human
07-24-2006, 11:05 PM
Just one question..........which member of the board of selectmen doesn't like the owner?

elizabethann
07-25-2006, 07:23 AM
Guess there's not enough crime to fight in Freeport these days, so let's go after some fish. :mad:

Tralee
07-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Oh geez, I saw that on the news last night. I have never eatern at China Rose but I have walked by it many times. The guy has to pay $700 to get his fish back from the pet store so the fish can go live with his parents in Mass.
Storming in to his store with guns to take his fish! That is just insane! I can't believe it

IRescue452
07-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Good! To have a dozen koi in a tank in a restourant. That tank would have to be over a thousand gallons. And its very hard to find a tank that large. If his fish are only 10 inches after 15 years they are very stunted in growth and there is something very sick and wrong with this guy for doing this to the fish!

I consider it abuse to treat fish like a display decoration. Restaurants can be horrible places for fish. One by us has a tank with about 50 cichlids and orandas living together! These fish belong in two very different environments and to top it off they are living practically on top of each other in a 100 gallon tank. I wish they cared enough about animals in WI to take these away, but unfortunately we don't have any laws protecting any animals, especially not fish.

Red parrots need a heated tank with a sandy bottom and tons of rock caves. How much you want to bet he just dumped them in the koi tank without making any changes? I'll bet he majorly overstocked the tank too.

Zippy
07-25-2006, 10:34 AM
What size tank were they in????Then i can say if the guys koi should be his or if the should have been resuced(sp?)

elizabethann
07-25-2006, 12:23 PM
What size tank were they in????Then i can say if the guys koi should be his or if the should have been resuced(sp?)

I don't think either article says the size, but perhaps I just didn't catch that part of the story.

Cinder & Smoke
07-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Armed game wardens seize Cuong Ly's pet koi of fifteen years and
sell them to a pet store
where he buys them back.

That isn't *quite* the way I read it ...

I don't see where it SAID the Game Wardens *SOLD* the Koi to the pet shop -
I'd think they "contracted" with the pet shop to HOLD the Koi as "Evidence"
in their investigation.

What REALLY makes no sense is Cuong Ly "buying them back"!!

Since when can confiscated stuff be bough back without at least a Court Order.
What's the pet shop going to tell the Wardens when they come back
to pick up their "evidence"??
Sounds like the whole bunch is writing new laws as they go along.

And most laws aren't enforcable on events happening BEFORE the law is written -
(the original ownership of the Koi sounds like it was BEFORE the law was written) -
Cuong Ly's Phish weren't illegal when he got them!

Where's Perry Mason when we need him!?

Tralee
10-31-2006, 06:29 PM
He was able to get a permit this past week and he has his Koi Fish again, but hey have to kept out of sight from the public, so other people won't get koi fish