PDA

View Full Version : Husky Rescue Effort

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-20-2002, 03:25 PM
This morning, Andrew called and told me that he found an emaciated purebred Siberian Husky in his neighborhood while he was jogging.

He has taken the Husky to the vet on post at Ft. Rucker. She had a collar on with a Rabies tag from 2 years and the address and number on their is from Ft. Lewis, Washington! Andrew tried calling the number on the tags, but it has been disconnected. There is no way of contacting anyone to find out who the owner is. Andrew suspects that the owner is someone who was previosly stationed there. He is still trying to find the owner. She has been admitted to the vet under our name and we will be trying to find her a home very soon. Once she is strong enough, she will be spayed. The vet says she is almost 2 years old and has never had babies (surprising, huh!).

A coworer of mine lost his Husky a few months ago and has been asking me to help him find one. He wants a male though. He won't be back till after memorial day. I hope that he will take her despite the fact that he wanted a male.

Do you guys know anyone who would be interested if this guy isn't? She will be free to a good home.

jennifert
05-20-2002, 04:30 PM
Souraya, I can't offer much help finding this girl a home but I just wanted to comment on how wonderful you and Andrew are!! It is absolutely amazing to me...
How lucky you and Andrew are to have each other. He sounds as sweet and dedicated and caring as you are!!!
I hope your co-worker will want this girl!! My fingers are crossed!!

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out!

sammi
05-20-2002, 07:29 PM
That is so wonderful of you and Andrew to to help yet another stray dog out. I hope you find someone to adopt her - though I know you won't give up till you get her a home.
I liked your pictures from this weekend. I think you are pretty proud of your boys!

Dixieland Dancer
05-21-2002, 07:43 AM
What wonderful kind souls you and Andrew have to get medical treatment for this girl! I am proud to know you through this board. It is very refreshing to hear of good people doing good things for our helpless canine friends instead of the horror of abuse that we all know goes on. :D

I hope your coworker will take this girl even though he wants a male.

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-21-2002, 07:51 AM
Thanks Jenni and Sammi. Yes, I am very proud of my boys. I am very fortunate.

We have located the owners of Emma and your blood is going to boil once you hear about this. :mad:

Emma and her family moved from Ft. Lewis to Ft. Rucker a year ago. And hear this: "She never comes back when we let her out to go to the bathroom!" They live in an apartment copmlex. Neighbors have been nice enough to bring the dog home when they find it, but Andrew didn't know who the owners are. And, she has been "lost" for over a month now!

They figured she would just come back! Well, now she neefds medical attention and we figured they will not pay the bills. Andrew is planning on meeting with the owners and will offer to buy Emma from them.

Keep your fingers and paws crossed that they will say yes!

anna_66
05-21-2002, 08:09 AM
Well, you two have to be the best people around! I would love to have another, but sadly 2 is enough. I hope the guy you know will take her and give her a good home. Do you have any pics?

Gio
05-21-2002, 09:20 AM
your blood is going to boil once

It certainly has. Why are people like this even allowed near a pet!

Luckily she found Andrew. I hope the original owners will let you and Andrew buy poor Emma off them. I will pray that they do. She certainly deserves better owners and I'm sure a good home will come along.

sammi
05-21-2002, 11:37 AM
Those people sound real smart!! I hope they will let Andrew buy her. That is so nice of you to do that. You are also lucky that you have the funds to help out like this.:(

mugsy
05-21-2002, 11:48 AM
AAAACCCCCKKKKK!!!! I almost wish Andrew hadn't found the morons. Are you going to keep her if they let you buy her or are you going to rehome her? Do you know yet how she gets along with Drake...or maybe I should say how well Drake gets along with her! lol Please keep us informed.

jennifert
05-21-2002, 12:03 PM
WOW!!! What is wrong with those people? Andrew shouldnt' have to buy Emma. Those people should be thanking Andrew on their hands and knees for finding their dog and taking care of her! They let her outside by herself to go to the bathroom and she doesnt' come back? Can you blame her???? Seriously though, Emma must have a guardian angel. It's amazing that she wasn't hit by a car or worse....

How did Andrew find the owners? Were they even looking for her? ie posters, ads, anything? Did they find her from her tags? These are the types of people that should be arrested for neglect!! Letting an unspayed female dog roam around the streets? Poor Emma....I hope Andrew can knock some sense into these people and get Emma away from them....
Keep us updated!!

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-21-2002, 12:09 PM
Right now, Emma is at the Vet's office on post at Ft. Rucker. Andrew and I have already given them out credit card numbr to charge her treatment to.

Andrew met with the owner and offered him $300.00 for Emma. He said he would talk to his wife and let us now tonight. I will be going to Alabama tomorrow afternoon and if they agree to sell her, I plan on getting the owner to go with me and sign a notorized purchasing agreement so that we do not have to deal with him in the future.

Andrew has fallen in love with her, but we will not be able to keep her. With Andrew's flight training, he usually doesn't have much free time. My hands are full with Draker, writing a Thesis for my masters, full time work, taking care of my brother that just moved in with me, coaching a kids' rowing team, and volunteering! I can not take care of her and give her the love and attention she needs and deserves. So, Molly, we will be rehoming her.

I got Steve's (my coworker) home phone number from HR. I plan on calling his house sitter to get a number I can reach him at. Do you think that is too much? Should I wait till he gets back? I just want to know ASAP if he wants her.

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-21-2002, 12:14 PM
Jenni, Emma's family hadn't gotten her new tags since they moved from Ft. Lewis a whole year ago. Andrew has a friend of his who was able to get a list of all the soldiers that have been stationed at Ft. Lewis right before Ft. Rucker. There were about 20 people. Andrew kept calling the families and asking if they owned a Husy till the owners were found!

They said they didn't look for her because someone in the neighborhood always brought her back. She usually was brought back in a day or 2. She has been missing for one month and one week!

anna_66
05-21-2002, 12:23 PM
Well, then they really don't need a dog then do they? If they can't keep up with her or her tags, I wonder if she's been properly taken care of health wise (spayed, rabies, yearly boosters...etc)

mugsy
05-21-2002, 12:23 PM
Souraya, I would call now because I'm an antsy person by nature anyway, but for Emma's sake I would call. I know this is sneaky (but I know that it's done), but what about taking Emma and giving her to someone and just telling the morons (who obviously don't care about her if they don't even go looking for her) that she ran off from Andrew too. I know that's underhanded, but I don't think these people deserve her and I think her needs come first. You know, being in the dog rescue arena has really made me sneaky!! lol I NEVER used to be that way...HONEST! <eg> Good luck!!!

kobieeli
05-21-2002, 12:29 PM
You guys are wonderful for helping poor Emma!

BUT...in my book, when those people quit looking for her (if they ever even tried to find her) she became a lost dog. Do they even WANT her at this point? If not, Andrew shouldn't have to buy her at all! You two are paying her vet bills, for goodness sake! Plus, $300 for an "emaciated" Husky sounds too high.

I'm with Anna and Mugsy--don't give those people the benefit of the doubt, don't give them much (or any) money, and certainly don't give them Emma back!

:mad:

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-21-2002, 12:30 PM
Anna, she hasn't been spayed and miraculously hasn't gotten pregnant yet either! She is supposedly up to date with her shots and Andrew has asket the Vet at Ft. Rucker to contact the Vet at Ft. Lewis where the owner said Emma recieved those shots. We will now for sure when the vet finds out.

Molly, I have been trying to talk Andrew into stealing her.:D He says that if the owner won't sell her, Andrew will consider it.

I have already called Steve's house sitter and she gave me his cell phone number. I am going to call him in a few minutes.

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-22-2002, 06:13 AM
I finally got to a hold of Steve and he wants Emma! He and his son are so excited about getting her.

Emma's owner told Andrew that $300.00 was too much and that he would take $50.00 for her. Tomorrow, he will go with me and sign the purchasing agreement I had a lawyer friend of mine write up. So, Emma will be ours tomorrow!

She still needs to stay at the Vet's until she is a bit better and till the Vet at Ft. Lewis verifies she is up to date on her shots!

I will try and get pictures of her when I visit her tomorrow.

mugsy
05-22-2002, 06:19 AM
Yeah for Steve...tell him for me he is my hero!!! I'm excited too!!

Gio
05-22-2002, 06:23 AM
Wonderful news! Three cheers for Steve (and for Souraya and Andrew too of course!) :D

anna_66
05-22-2002, 06:36 AM
hip hip horray!
hip hip horray!
hip hip horray!

I'm so glad to hear it, that's wonderful news!

Dixieland Dancer
05-22-2002, 09:08 AM
Yea for Andrew saving Miss Emma from such a terrible way of life! Yea for Steve for agreeing to take Miss Emma even though he wanted a male dog. Yea for Souraya for keeping us all posted!

A happy ending! :D :D :D

lizbud
05-22-2002, 11:13 AM
HOORAY FOR EMMA

and I must sayTHREE CHEERS FOR SOURAYA,ANDREW & STEVE !!!

The world could use more people like you guys!!!:) :) :)

kobieeli
05-22-2002, 11:42 AM
WHEW!! I was hoping for a good ending here, and I got one! So glad that Emma's got a good home finally...:D

What great work you and Andrew did to save her!

Albea
05-22-2002, 12:08 PM
Bless you and Andrew for having saved Emma's life and Steve for wanting to give her a forever home!!!
What else can be said about her former owners that has not been said before? Too bad the Army or Air Force don't have rules that apply to people like that:mad: :mad: :mad:

tatsxxx11
05-22-2002, 03:55 PM
SOURAYA, ANDREW, STEVE..............HEROES, ALL!!! Long and happy life to you Emma! Cody, my rescue Husky (x) says...............YIPPEEE!!!

Karen
05-22-2002, 05:16 PM
Soooo glad! And I am glad they were honest enought to say "$50 is enough" though Andrew offered them more. I am glad for her, for you, and for the neighbors who know won't have to worry about poor wandering Emma!

Corinna
05-24-2002, 09:49 AM
It's been a couple of days since the last post. What is happening with Emma ? Also are we going to see some pictures of this lovely?

anna_66
05-24-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
It's been a couple of days since the last post. What is happening with Emma ? Also are we going to see some pictures of this lovely?

Sourya & Andrew are gone and won't be back until after Sunday.

Rachel
05-27-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Albea
Bless you and Andrew for having saved Emma's life and Steve for wanting to give her a forever home!!!

That is just what I wanted to say.

Sudilar
05-27-2002, 10:34 PM
I just now read this thread. What a great story! Congratulations!

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-28-2002, 08:25 AM
I visited Emma on Thursday and she is just a gorgeous doggy! Such a sweet one too! She is doing much better and seems to have regained her strength. She is scheduled to get spayed this Friday and will be coming to Georgia next weeend with Andrew.
I have a picture, but need to get the roll developed.

Steve has been busy preparing for Emma's arrival. He and his son just put up a new fence arround their huge back yard. They have also already gone shopping and have bought here all sorts of toys and neccessary items she will need. Steve and his son have a boat and go out on the lake all the time. So, they bought Emma a life vest for their trips on the water. :D :D They are so excited, they can barely stand it!

mugsy
05-28-2002, 08:50 AM
Souraya, that story does my heart good!! I'm so glad everything worked out and Emma got such a great home. Coudos to Steve, Andrew and you for saving this poor girl.

Dixieland Dancer
05-28-2002, 10:29 AM
It is wonderful to relive the excitement of a new dog coming home to live with you through Steve and his son's joy. Thanks for keeping us posted and I look forward to seeing pictures of Ms. Emma!

Gio
05-29-2002, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the update. I can understand why Steve and his son are so excited. It sounds like Emma will have a wonderful life with them!

CountryWolf07
06-20-2002, 01:33 PM
What a wonderful story! Hey, what color is her fur and eyes? I'm crazy about sibes! - Rachel

DoggiesAreTheBest
06-20-2002, 06:48 PM
Emma has 2 blue eyes. She is Gorgeous.

I just realized that I didn't update you on Emma.

She has been in her new home with Steve and his son. The are a happy family and just love her to pieces! I will be visiting her this weekend. I will try to take pictures.

CountryWolf07
06-24-2002, 12:23 PM
Pretty girl! :) Glad to hear she's doing well in her new home with Steve and his son! - Rachel