PDA

View Full Version : Lice....

catnapper
07-24-2006, 12:46 PM
How contagious is it? I stopped by the adoption center this mornign to play with the kittens. They had 3 black babies (oooo they were sooo little, fir in the palm of my hand) and I had a blast kissing them, cuddlign them, etc.

I just got an email from the rescue saying they have LICE!

Um, how contagious is it? I'm all itchy just thinking about it... and worried my guys now might get it since I've been plahying with them today too.

ShylanHal
07-24-2006, 01:39 PM
At least they had the deacensy to tell you they did! My goodness!
I don't know how catching it is, otherwise I'd tell you.
My advice: Give yourself and all your kitties flea baths, just in case.

jenluckenbach
07-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Lice are 100% species specific.

Therefore cat lice ONLY affect cats. (just like the time my mice had lice, no humans or cats would have ever gotten infected). No transfer between species either, cats to cat only.....lice simply ONLY want their specific host.

Russian Blue
07-24-2006, 03:51 PM

Therefore cat lice ONLY affect cats. (just like the time my mice had lice, no humans or cats would have ever gotten infected). No transfer between species either, cats to cat only.....lice simply ONLY want their specific host.

You learn a new thing everyday! I had no idea.

orangemm
07-24-2006, 04:10 PM
That's gotta be a relief!

critter crazy
07-24-2006, 04:23 PM

TRUE!! When I rescued my filly last year she had lice. and I found out the same thing!! But it dosent stop you from being itchy and freaking out anyways!!:eek:

catmandu
07-24-2006, 06:18 PM
I would still at least get some Revolution Drops, to be on the safe side.
Some Cats are more sensative like the Moose who will scratch and scratch and cause abrasions.

QueenScoopalot
07-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Are you sure it's not a mite? There's several species of mites that are contagious and are sometimes called "walking dandruff"...
http://www.lclarkecushingvmd.com/showpracfaq.cfm?FAQID=171&Private=0
I'd have them clarify it to you so you don't have the worry of possibly dragging unwanted buggies home to your crew.