PDA

View Full Version : More swallow rescues

larbabe
07-24-2006, 10:52 AM
We have had two more swallow chicks fall into our yard. This time the colony immediately began to feed them, so we kept them outside in a shaded area on an open stand, covering them them at night with a cage to protect them. The first chick quickly developed his flight feathers and within a few days flew the coop. The 2nd is lame like Fred. He has not completely grown all his feathers yet. The colony continues to feed him, but we give him water (it's been very hot). Picture 1 shows the injured swallow in my nephew's left hand.

larbabe
07-26-2006, 10:17 AM
The bird's broken leg has prevented him from flying because it sticks straight out to the side. We found a local veterinarian who will treat him at no cost . They will call us when his leg has mended and he is ready to be released back into the wild. It's great to know there are so many people who actually do care about these marvelous creatures. My only concern is that the bird's siblings have already migrated. I hope he can pick up on the trail! :)

Dorothy39
07-26-2006, 11:39 AM
What an incredible rescue story!!!!

Hopefully, he will fully recover from his injury and return to his colony. You have done a wonderful job yourself!!!!!!! My hat is off, as well, to that Vet!!!

Please keep up posted on this baby swallow!!!!

larbabe
08-04-2006, 10:00 AM
We stopped by the vet. The bird's leg is on the mend. He is being kept in an aviary with other wild birds. They'll let us know when he is ready for release. :) Unfortunately, all of the other swallows have now migrated elsewhere.