PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Flying

Muddy4paws
07-24-2006, 10:41 AM
I know this will sound stupid because I haven't experienced flying at all but the thought of hights scare me so much it makes me feel physically sick.. :(

The fact is that I've never been abroad on a plane, only ever on boats and long car journeys. My boyfriend would like to go away for 2 weeks next year and it would be a 2 and a half hour flight and would only be able to go on a plane to get there but I really dont know if I can do it .. :( I have looked up courses on flying fears but there is not a chance of me being able to pay for it so that isn't even an option.

Does anyone have any suggestion? Am I being stupid or does anyone else feel physically sick from the thought of it?

Catty1
07-24-2006, 10:57 AM
I hate heights but love flying!

Two reasons:

1. Not understanding what the plane actually does during takeoff, flight, and landing - why its 'noises' change. For example, it relieved a friend of mine a lot to learn that the plane is quieter while flying than during takeoff because it takes WAY more energy for the plane to get away from gravity(ground) than to maintain height. SHe thought "quieter" meant the plane was losing energy!

Even look up a younger person's book on it.

2. It can be a 'control' thing. If you aren't "in the pilot's seat" in life, do you get uncomfortable?

Just some food for thought.

Muddy4paws
07-24-2006, 05:21 PM
I dont think its the fear of not being in control I know that pilots are very well trained and know exactly what they do in emergency etc I dont even think its the fear of anything happening I think its just the fear of being so high up and not knowing what to expect when I get to the airport.

Pembroke_Corgi
07-24-2006, 05:52 PM
I don't know if flying would be an issue for you or not, but you could always request an aisle seat so you wouldn't even have to look out if you didn't want to! You don't feel like you are suspended or anything during flight- it feels a lot like a being in a car to me. I get nervous around big heights too but I've never had a problem with flying. I think you should take the holiday- sounds fun! :)

lizbud
07-24-2006, 06:32 PM
I have a fear of hights too, but not flying. Well, it's only the take off and
the landing that make me nervous. :p

elizabethann
07-25-2006, 07:29 AM
I'm with you. When I was younger, heights & flying didn't bother me. It wasn't until I got older where I started to get really scared and after 9/11, flying for me is evem more awful. Every noise and dip of the plane makes me want to puke. I'm taking a plane trip in the next 1-2 months and I'm actually thinking of calling my doctor and asking for valium.

Catty1, I think for me it's all about control. If I was flying the plane, I don't think I'd be scared. I'd feel in control of my surroundings. I love to drive and would rather drive everywhere instead of taking a plane.

I wish I could just get "beamed up" everywhere.

Rie Rie
07-26-2006, 12:59 PM
I am terrified of flying and won't fly unless absolutely neccessary. Like a year ago,when my brother was burned so bad my mom and I had to fly to Va. I am 40 years old and cried like a baby when the plane took off, thank goodness my mommy was there holding my hand. It is mostly the taking off and landing part that is so scarey. Just hold your boyfriends hand and close your eyes and think happy thoughts.

Karen
07-26-2006, 01:06 PM
I love to fly, and love to look out the window at the clouds, etc. But I know it is a real phobia for people. You mentioned being afraid also of what happens at the airport - that you can conquer! Visit the airport, just walk through, and you'll see it's nothing to be afraid of - just another industrial-looking place with exhorbitantly high prices for everything! Yes you - even you - can pay EVEN MORE for your Starbuck's coffee than usual!

Randi
07-26-2006, 01:53 PM
I think 5 mg. of Valium will do the trick. ;)

If you could, the best thing would be to sit on the flight deck during take-off, then you would get to see everything that is going on, but that is not possible anymore. I was very lucky to be allowed to sit on the flight deck during landing, London-Copenhagen (a year before 9/11). I was strapped with 5 seat belts and had to be there half an hour before landing. Wish I had taken the camcorder!

As others have suggested, take a stroll in the airport and get the feel of it. Also learn what it sounds like when the landing wheels goes up, etc. Perhaps watch a film about fear of flying, and try to just think of it as a form of transportation. ;)

Hope you get a nice holiday!!

Edwina's Secretary
07-26-2006, 02:07 PM
I just received my card for 1 million miles...on one airline....that doesn't count all the trips on other airlines and trips using miles....

And I still get a bit nervous at takeoff. I don't llike to look until we are up.

Relaxants are good but I also think finding a group that will help you understand what goes on....maybe even a tour of an airport. These days the worse part of flying IS the hassle of getting on the plane. And knowing what to expect will really help you cope!

Lizzie
07-26-2006, 02:15 PM
My fear of heights and fear of flying switched places, funnily enough. The first few times I flew, I was in my teens and early twenties and absolutely terrified of heights. Even though the first flight was very bumpy, I felt no fear at all, nor did I on the next few. By the time I flew to the U.S. in my late twenties, my fear of heights was leaving me and I'd become so afraid of flying that it was all I could do to keep myself in my seat.

As others have said, the two fears just don't seem to come together. Even when afraid of heights to the point that I found myself paralysed with fear on the steps up a cathedral tower and had to be led down, I was able to look out of the window of a plane and not think about how high up I was.

I agree with others about going to the airport ahead of time and getting comfortable with the environment. Before I had major surgery a few decades ago, I had the surgery staff take me around the prep and recovery areas so that I'd feel more comfortable when there for the procedure. It's a kind of facing your fear routine also.

Sevaede
07-27-2006, 02:15 AM
Oh my! You sound just like me a few weeks ago! :D

I had to take a plane from Dallas to Vegas, Vegas to Portland, Portland to Pendleton, Pendleton to Pasco, Pasco to Portland, and Portland to Dallas. It wasn't the airport that scared me, as almost everyone was extremely friendly and helpful and there were lots of signs and places to help me out, it was the flying. If your flight is nice and smooth it does feel a lot like a nice smooth car ride. One of the things that made it easier was that my mind didn't (or even try to) comprehend that there really wasn't anything beneath my feet except 33,000 feet of sky. I just couldn't fathom it and I was going to push myself. ;) I also like to believe that flights feel a lot shorter than what you're told because that's what it was like for me. My flight from Dallas to Vegas was something like three hours and it didn't even feel like we'd been in the air for thirty minutes.

I had about five minutes of some turbulence on my way from Portland to Dallas and that scared me but, thankfully, we were due to land so we did! (It wasn't heavy duty or anything. We just flew through a few clouds)

Muddy4paws
07-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm definatly pushing myself into going! I will only be on the plane for 2 1/2 hours so hopefully it shouldnt be too bad but the thought of being in a nice sunny country is too good of a chance to miss I think and I really want to go to America and Sicily when I'm older so I got to deal with this! :o :)