PDA

View Full Version : Before you buy more bettas.. *please read*

binka_nugget
07-24-2006, 12:41 AM
I don't mean to offend anyone but I've felt like this needed to be said for a while now. It was brought to my attention after a PM from someone concerned about people being bitten by the betta bug.

It's very easy to fall in love with these little guys but before you buy more bettas, remember that they are easily 2+ years of commitment. That means that if your betta comes down with ich, fungus, columnaris, fin rot, dropsy, etc, it is your responsibility as a responsible pet owner to treat and keep that pet comfortable. Medicines easily cost more than the fish itself, so keep that in mind! When you pay $5 for a betta, you're also commiting to paying for all the medicines and supplies it'll need to keep it happy and healthy.

I know, I'm one to talk. :p But remember, I paid $500+ to get a system that constantly supplies heated, filtered water.. to house my bettas that most cost me $5 or less (a great deal of them were free too!) I give up my weekends to make sure that all my other tanks are clean too. I'm sure Erica will agree with me when I say that one betta is not a problem for most people, but when you get multiples, it's a different story.

Once again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone, as that wasn't my intent. I just love these little fishies so much and hate to think that people didn't think of them as animals that require love and care, just like any other pet. :)

DrKym
07-24-2006, 12:47 AM
OK I am going to post as Ignorant simply because (please hold off beatings) we killed the class betta. I know NOTHING about bettas so I went by the teachers xerox sheet he lasted 3 weeks. I suck as the pet mom and I feel awful and will (maybe) replace it for fall. I was in over my head and my son feels awful that I failed (considering I raise oscars and an assortment of furries. I found out too late that a goldfish bowl no matter how cute is not adequate, that they require a knowledge I don't possess. I am to blame but to a point is also the teacher whose only requirement was that a student had fish.............................. cichlids and bettas are a far cry in care.

binka_nugget
07-24-2006, 12:52 AM
OK I am going to post as Ignorant simply because (please hold off beatings) we killed the class betta. I know NOTHING about bettas so I went by the teachers xerox sheet he lasted 3 weeks. I suck as the pet mom and I feel awful and will (maybe) replace it for fall. I was in over my head and my son feels awful that I failed (considering I raise oscars and an assortment of furries. I found out too late that a goldfish bowl no matter how cute is not adequate, that they require a knowledge I don't possess. I am to blame but to a point is also the teacher whose only requirement was that a student had fish.............................. cichlids and bettas are a far cry in care.

Oh, don't feel bad! I'm sure I would fail miserably as a cichlid mom! I just wanted to bring this to the attention of people who tend to buy bettas one right after another, who may not realize that they aren't simply "just another betta" but that they are living creatures that require a great deal of time and commitment. :)

DrKym
07-24-2006, 12:57 AM
I do feel bad, and I honestly think replacing the class "pet" is a bad idea. Ok my oscar is thriving and has for 5 yrs but that is the only fish I can claim any knowledge on. My son says we need to replace it (the betta) Hubby says the kids will dissapointed my heart says I should tell the kids the truth I am grown up and I messed up. Maybe 5th graders are better suited to a Walmart pup that requires batteries? (my son excluded as he spent his summer mowing lawns to have the feral kitties he rescued spayed and neutered so he can keep them) but even so an animal is animal, and this one died.

bckrazy
07-24-2006, 02:27 AM
I completely agree with you, Ashley! I'm very glad you said something. :)

Honestly, it hurts to see Bettas considered as an easy, throw-away kind of pet. By "throw-away", I do not mean those people don't care about their Bettas... I mean, thinking of them as cheap & not deserving of great care. It is much better to have one Betta with a large, well-decorated, well-maintaned tank than to have 5 Bettas with tiny, poorly-kept tanks! I give my tiny juvies at least 1 gallon each and at least one live plant, much less a 2.5-3" adult, who technically requires 2.5-3 gallons for the long term.

Another note, please do not feel like a heretic if you "rescue" a Betta by buying it from a store that treats them like crap. It's only supporting the abuse. Also, I do not advise EVER buying a sick Betta unless you have the $20+ to treat them (Maracyn, Melafix, Tetracycline, etc, is not cheap at all!) and you might have to buy multiple medications. Buying them and letting them die is just prolonging their pain, to be perfectly honest.

Bettas are great little fish, but they are not worthless compared to a dog or a cat. They still need tons of care, money, and time. When one dies (especially if it is caused by neglect), don't just replace it the next day. And most of all, realize that Bettas cost a lot of money, that money adds up, and your current pets should be a much higher priority than more Bettas!

Aspen and Misty
07-24-2006, 02:44 AM
I'm glad this was finally brought up. I have been watching people get bit by the betta bug and have often wondered how some care for so many fish as it seems they have multiple bettas and get one after another, after another.

Good post Ashley, I whole heartidlt agree! A fish deserves a good home just like any dog or cat.

Ashley

Sevaede
07-24-2006, 02:57 AM
Very well put, Ashley! I agree wholeheartedly.

I am concerned that some might be biting off more than they can chew.

Danegirl2208
07-24-2006, 03:16 AM
i agree completly :)

chocolatepuppy
07-24-2006, 05:23 AM
Having 15 bettas I just have to say...mine are housed in those little teenie one gallon tanks/bowls. They are in my kitchen (plenty of stimulation, not locked away in a back room somewhere).Their tanks/bowls are cleaned weekly, no matter what, and I add aqua safe and aquarium salt to their water each change. I have an armory of fish meds for them as well as for my goldfish and tetras. They are considered living, breathing creatures just as my dog and cats. Mine usually live at least 3+ years and my current oldest I have had 2yr 9mo.
While I don't plan on getting any more bettas, these will be kept, cared for and loved until they die. I even have provided for them in the event I should drop dead as my husband is not a fish keeper.

cloverfdx
07-24-2006, 07:27 AM
I am glad to see someone finally "speaking" up about this, very well put Ashley :).

chrissycat21
07-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I had been thinking about posting something like what you just said for a while now, but I was worried about how I would word it. Ashley, you said it way better than I could have!

Zippy
07-24-2006, 10:21 AM
I am happy someone posted about this.
I have 3 and that is all that i can keep and love and enjoy without being overwelmed.i love my bettas like i love my cats.i hope all my bettas live 5 years.

Argranade
07-24-2006, 10:22 AM
Ya Im glad this was brought up.

Now I only have 1 betta and thats Bluelooder but he's In a nice large clean tank and he's very happy and I can afford all the suplies he needs if he where to get sick but he's a very happy fish.

And so is bubbles my goldfish. :p

Roxyluvsme13
07-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Well said both of you.

I have 7 bettas, and it seems I'm getting a new one every single week, but they're all in one gallons or more with water changes usually 2 times a week, plus aquarium salt, dechlorinator, and I usually add in some Melafix for some. If one of them ever got sick I would count out change if I had to to go buy fish medicine :p.

lute
07-24-2006, 10:56 AM
i'm glad that someone said something. i'm at 5 bettas right now and probably won't get any more. i agree that it seems some people are looking at them as a "collection" other than living breathing animals. i personally have all my bettas in either two gallon tanks or a five gallon tank. all have filters and are cleaned weekly. the five gallon one every other week. the only fish i have problmes with are my platys and mollies. i'm still learning how to care for them. they were an impulse buy because they were either pregnant or sick. i'm fully aware that my bettas can live for many years. as i'm aware that i can have my dogs until they are in their teens.

Flatcoatluver
07-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Thank you Ashely. This has been bothering me for awhile. I sometimes think people get them as attention seekers, so they can make a new thread and people will say "aww he is gorgeus, or omg you have so much." I only have two, yes I would love more, but if one got sick, there is no way I would let them just die and say oh well I will just get another, they are apart of the family.

Chilli
07-24-2006, 12:59 PM
I do agree this is a good topic to bring up, its good to point out to people that bettas can cost more money than one aspires and all.
Yes, I have 11 bettas as of now. I do water changes weekly, and on the guys in just a one gallon, twice a week. Its no problem for me, as I have other tanks to clean, also. No one is in anything less than a one gallon, and everyone is being moved up to a 2.5+ of their own at christmas. :D
I knew bettas can live 2+ years when I bought them, and I treat everyone with as much care as all my other fish. I always have money put back for all of my pets, for emergencies such as diseases and all, so I do have the money if one falls ill.
I treat my fish just as if they were one of my rats, dogs, cats, etc. They are a big part of the family^^.

IRescue452
07-24-2006, 03:17 PM
I agree. And if you don't want to deal with constant water changes, get a filter and a big tank (5g+) and cycle it. Bettas have a low bioload so you won't have to do many changes in a cycled tank.
I think people should think before buying goldfish too. They can live 20-50 years and get over a foot long. If you don't plan on eventually having a 55 gallons tank or pond, don't get a single goldfish. A small goldfish should grow 6 inches in length and a few in diameter in the first year you have it, or you are doing something wrong. I can't count how many people tell me things like "Depot is huge!" "I didn't know they get that big" "I didn't know they lived more than a year or two". Most goldfish die when they are still babies because of the people who buy them.

lute
07-24-2006, 07:37 PM
I think people should think before buying goldfish too. They can live 20-50 years and get over a foot long. If you don't plan on eventually having a 55 gallons tank or pond, don't get a single goldfish. A small goldfish should grow 6 inches in length and a few in diameter in the first year you have it, or you are doing something wrong. I can't count how many people tell me things like "Depot is huge!" "I didn't know they get that big" "I didn't know they lived more than a year or two". Most goldfish die when they are still babies because of the people who buy them.
i agree. i had goldfish when i was younger. they each lived to atleast 10yrs old. everyone would say "i didn't know goldfish lived that long." we'd always tell them "when they are cared for properly."

jesse_3
07-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Great post. Now I will admit, I got a female who wasn't looking too well, and I brought her home from Wal-Mart. I came here to do what I could to save her, and well, she is now thriving and doing well.
I am limiting myself to 2 betta's because I am not able to take care of more than that.
Flatcoatluvr, I COMPLETELY agree with you! I do think a couple of people do that.

Once again, awesome post. Thank you for bringing this up!
Steph, Xambi, and Sapphire

buttercup132
07-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Thank you!!!!:)

Christmas_Hamster
07-24-2006, 10:18 PM
hey this is a good point to bring up. At one point I had 4 bettas but I was okay money-wise. :) Even when Risteek had some bad fin-rot. If you don't mind I would like to quote what you wrote of a fish forum I go on. Do you mind?

binka_nugget
07-24-2006, 10:21 PM
hey this is a good point to bring up. At one point I had 4 bettas but I was okay money-wise. :) Even when Risteek had some bad fin-rot. If you don't mind I would like to quote what you wrote of a fish forum I go on. Do you mind?

Not at all! :)

critter crazy
07-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Its an epidemic!! Every time I turn around there is a "new Betta" Thread! I love fish, and have 15 huge goldfish t prove it, but my god! It is out of control! It's like the dalmation epidemic after 101 Dalmations came out!!!:eek:

Christmas_Hamster
07-24-2006, 10:47 PM
I agree. i was suprised when I checked out this and so many ppl had new bettas! I mean don't get me wrond they are great fish but *shudders* so many...

:) This is a nice warning for ppl considering having more then 2 bettas.

I know this guy he has over 1000 bettas. But he breeds so it is sort of excepted. ;)

binka_nugget
07-25-2006, 12:34 AM
I know this guy he has over 1000 bettas. But he breeds so it is sort of excepted. ;)

I know a breeder in the Philippines who has over 5000. :eek: And he doesn't believe in centralized filter systems either! He's my idol LOL

Logan
07-25-2006, 12:12 PM
I think this "lesson" could apply with just about any species that we see mentioned on Pet Talk. I think we know our limits, but I'm sure, at times, my friends and family wonder about us. Taking on a lot of pets, whether they be dogs, cats, fish, etc, is expensive, if you're going about it, properly, and God forbid, one get sick and the costs go up, up, up.

Right now, we have 3 dogs, 1 cat, 2 Cockatiels and 1 Betta fish (the least expensive of all of our pets, and I would love to have another cat and perhaps a rescue Golden Retriever, but given that we have just finished paying off a huge vet bill from our Golden, Zipper, and our cat, Mimi, both of whom we have lost in the last two months, I think it is wisest that we wait. I'm sure that Bettas don't take the monetary investment that a big dog or a cat would, but still, the time is a huge issue. I know with Otto, we really don't need more than one since we have to find time just to clean his living space once /week.

This is a good post. Hope everyone will take it as it was intended, just good advice, rather than getting defensive about it.

Logan

finn's mom
07-25-2006, 12:34 PM
I agree with your post, Ashley. I wanted four, and, got four. That's my limit, and, it was funny how everyone kept saying I'd get more and more and more and more. ;) I wanted four. I have four. That's plenty for me! They are happy, healthy, personality-filled little pets! We talk to them, they know when we come home (because I think they hear the dogs go nuts!), they know which side of the tanks I feed them from, and, they are all so unique! Maybe one day, I will have more, as I absolutely adore them. But, for now, four is all I can have and all I really want!

But, then, I noticed that you didn't post on my thread when I introduced my last betta...hmmm...maybe I'm one that you think is in over my head? I hope not, but, when it comes down to it, as long as I know they get excellent care, it's not as important how it appears in pictures. ;)

Roxyluvsme13
07-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Nope, Kari they're talking about me.. :rolleyes:.

finn's mom
07-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Nope, Kari they're talking about me.. :rolleyes:.

I would think it wasn't just one person, but, it's not that important to know exactly who they're talking about. I just noticed that the one person I was hoping to talk to a lot about bettas, my betta hero, Pretty Ashley, only posted once on my betta threads. ***And, Ashley, I'm not being whiny, just noticed that and after this thread, was thinking that your concern might be the reason you didn't say much on my threads!*** ;) That's why I said what I said, but, don't roll your eyes too much, Roxyluvsme13! I'm sure you're not the only one!

Roxyluvsme13
07-25-2006, 12:46 PM
I would think it wasn't just one person, but, it's not that important to know exactly who they're talking about. I just noticed that the one person I was hoping to talk to a lot about bettas, my betta hero, Pretty Ashley, only posted once on my betta threads. ***And, Ashley, I'm not being whiny, just noticed that and after this thread, was thinking that your concern might be the reason you didn't say much on my threads!*** ;) That's why I said what I said, but, don't roll your eyes too much, Roxyluvsme13! I'm sure you're not the only one!
:p. Ashley's my betta hero, too.. ;). Well, I just said it was me, because of Erica's bolded part, and because of the argument going on in my newest betta's thread, and one of my used to be friends blocking me on an instant messenger, because "I'll never change" and I'm not doing enough for my animals apparently..

finn's mom
07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
:p. Ashley's my betta hero, too.. ;). Well, I just said it was me, because of Erica's bolded part, and because of the argument going on in my newest betta's thread, and one of my used to be friends blocking me on an instant messenger, because "I'll never change" and I'm not doing enough for my animals apparently..

Ok, well, I'm outta this thread. I agree with what Ashley has posted, have thought that myself for awhile now, and, have said what I had to say! ;) I have a feeling there will be drama! I hope all your pets are safe and healthy and have the best care, as I hope for everyone!

K9soul
07-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Excellent post Ashley. I remember I think it was over a year ago and it seemed like SO many were getting betta after betta. I thought I made a similar post in a thread asking about "easy pets" where betta/fish were listed as an easy and cheap pet. They should never be viewed as such in my opinion. I only have two, but they each have a cycled 3g tank with plants and get a variety of frozen foods as well as Hikari pellets. I just don't have the time and resources to get more, as tempting as it always is! I've had these two about a year and a half now.

Here is a quote of my post in that thread I mentioned:

Bettas are initially cheap but if they are kept in the conditions they should be kept in, they too can be a bit of an investment. I've spent well over $100 (probably closer to $200, the 2 tank setups alone came out to about $100) on everything mine need, and still plan to get them a couple more live plants when I can find the ones I'm looking for (I may have to order them online). If they get sick, which often poorly kept bettas do, medication costs a lot. It's pretty sickening how they are marketed as such a cheap, easy to keep pet that can live in an 8 oz container here in the U.S. In Finland there are actually laws regulating the minimum tank size that can be sold for fish, and that INCLUDES tanks for bettas.

Ok. Off my soap box (for now). It just bothers me to see anyone choosing a pet based on it being "cheap and easy."

Posted 04-13-2005, 07:07 PM, so no one should think it aimed at them :p.

binka_nugget
07-25-2006, 04:53 PM

LOL Oh Kari! Don't be silly! I try to check out all the betta threads and have literally dropped my mouth in amazement at some of our gorgeous PT bettas! I'll always, always, always respond to threads concerning betta illnesses and such, but I find that I don't reply to a lot of "new betta" threads just because "Congrats on the gorgeous new betta!" gets kinda old. =P

This wasn't directed to anyone in particular. I actually needed to remind myself this a few times because I would get carried away with getting new bettas to breed.. when I should be thinking of them as pets first, not breeders. I just thought with the recent betta craze, it might serve as a nice reminder for those of us thinking about getting more bettas. :)

finn's mom
07-25-2006, 05:06 PM
I'll always, always, always respond to threads concerning betta illnesses and such, but I find that I don't reply to a lot of "new betta" threads just because "Congrats on the gorgeous new betta!" gets kinda old. =P
:)

That makes sense...and, I hadn't said anything prior to this thread because I really hadn't noticed that you hadn't said much! (that sounds bad, too, although I don't mean it to!) I just wondered after seeing this thread, and, how I got my four so quickly and they're only in tanks without plants and filters and heaters and all that equipment...but, glad to hear that you're just not interested in saying the same thing over and over. And, believe me, you would be saying the same thing, cuz you know...my boys are gorgeous. ;)

bckrazy
07-25-2006, 06:25 PM
I totally agree, Ashley! I would love to have every color in every tail type :p but, I can't have that many Bettas, at least not now. Especially since I keep at least a few from every spawn! I would definitely need multiple barracks!

Kari, I don't think I replied to your newest thread. =/ That definitely does not mean I'm not happy for you! All of your boys are precious and well cared for. You are definitely planning out the number you acquire and you are realistic. I just dislike the fact that many people do not realize Bettas are supposed to live for 3 or more years! What I really have a problem with, is people who habitually buy because they see a cute Betta in a pet store every time they go, and they have to scramble for new tanks/money/what to do with sick Bettas that they buy... and many that buy Bettas on an impulse, then "re-home" later, or they seem to just disappear. I see this kind of situation happen over & over on other boards a lot more than on PT, and I wouldn't want to see it happen here.

Jessica, that is so true! I know your boys are living wonderful lives, and for the expense you could've bought 20 bettas and treated them with much less care, but instead you have 2 very happy boys. I cannot begin to think of how much money I have spent on keeping my Bettas happy & healthy, not to mention spawning. But they are worth it, and I obviously have the time and money for them, thankfully. :)

CagneyDog
07-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Excellent thread!

This serves as a great reminder for both members of PT, and those who are just browsing. Thanks for posting :)

CathyBogart
07-27-2006, 02:14 AM
Thank you for posting this thread! That's exactly why I don't have any bettas right now. I used to have four, about six years ago, and I remember how much work they were. I would love to have one now (and the crown tails in the store I used to work in are just exquisite) but I don't think I would provide for one as well as I should.