PDA

View Full Version : help...

CagneyDog
07-23-2006, 09:03 PM
My neighbours just found a dog...or something underneath the tree in our yard. We can;t figure out what it is, it's only the size of my pinky, no fur or anything. The only think we can think of is it's a really tiny puppy. But could it be that small? It did have toe nails, tiny ones. Honestly, it could easily be a mouse [ :o ] it just doesnt appear to have the same shape and nose and ears as one. It also doesnt have a long tail. (Are mice born with a bit of fur?)Plus, it's already almost the size of a full grown one.. I feel so stupid posting this, but does anyone know if a puppy could be that tiny?

K9soul
07-23-2006, 09:06 PM
I don't think puppies can be that small, and they are always born with hair. Could it be a baby mole perhaps? Any way you can get a picture?

CagneyDog
07-23-2006, 09:07 PM
I don't think puppies can be that small, and they are always born with hair. Could it be a baby mole perhaps? Any way you can get a picture?

Maybe it's really premature? Unfortunately the only cam I have is at my dads house. Moles aren't common around here. I looked up baby mice on the internet and it is definitly not one. Maybe a cat? It's a bit longer than my pinkie in length (just a bit though).

animal_rescue
07-23-2006, 09:09 PM
hmm I'm not sure if it's a puppy but maybe you can look on the net and try to find a pic of what it might look like?

CagneyDog
07-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Are cats always born with hair?

I'm trying to find a picture. The closet I've gotten is a teacup Chihuahu baby however, even this is so much smaller, and no hair, the face is very similar though.

IRescue452
07-23-2006, 09:28 PM
There's not much I can think of with no hair. A rat maybe? Even a bunny is born with hair. A bat? But that'd be a creepy looking chihuahua http://www.bats.org.uk/images/150x150/150x150_images_helpline_baby1.jpg

animal_rescue
07-23-2006, 09:31 PM
http://www.gowerbirdhospital.org.uk/images/Gallery/images/1121-33-baby-weasel-in-hand.jpg.jpg

that's a baby weasel, does it look like that?

lute
07-23-2006, 09:50 PM
how strange. i would take it to a vet and see what it is.

CagneyDog
07-23-2006, 09:51 PM
Okay
It's okver at my house now. I have it in a towel and I took a webcam picture

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/CagneyDog/68955262.jpg

a squirrel maybe?
What do I do.

animal_rescue
07-23-2006, 09:54 PM
http://www.soulofthegarden.com/Images/January04BabySquirrel.jpg

there's a baby squirrel, they do look alike.

lute
07-23-2006, 09:56 PM
it does look like a squirrel or opossum.

CagneyDog
07-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Okay, do i keep it warm? It's wrapped in a towel right now. There's no chance that the mnom will come back now right?

lute
07-23-2006, 09:58 PM
if he was found on the ground. i imagin the mum pushed him out of the nest or dropped him if he's an oppossum. i would definatly keep him warm. not sure what or how to feed him.

CagneyDog
07-23-2006, 09:59 PM
It's definitly not an opossum. Squirrel for sure. It was lying on the side walk, so I'm not sure how it got there. Do squirrels carry their babies?

IRescue452
07-23-2006, 09:59 PM
That's got to be a squirrel. You can get milk replacement at petco, but I think its chances of survival at this age are slim to none.

animal_rescue
07-23-2006, 10:02 PM
You can use a dropper to feed and the mom might of dropped him, my dad's a landscaper so we're always getting babies brought home from trees. :( Definitely keep him warm too, if you can heat a small rag and stick it under the towel he's wrapped in, it should do good for now.

CagneyDog
07-23-2006, 10:13 PM
what do i feed it?
oh man i hope it doesnt die :9

animal_rescue
07-23-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm pretty sure puppy formula is the closest thing you can get, unless they have wildlife formula.

CagneyDog
07-23-2006, 10:18 PM
What about water? Do I give it some threw a syringe thing

animal_rescue
07-23-2006, 10:27 PM
You can a bit but when you get the formula that should be good by itself.

Dorothy39
07-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Just remember "Finnigan" the Squirrel!!!!! Although I don't recall how young he was when Debbie Canton found him.

pnance
07-23-2006, 11:53 PM
Are there any wildlife rescue groups in your area. If nothing else they may be able to tell you what to feed. If you can't find any PM me and I'll see if I can get information from a group in my area that does wildlife rescue.

dionne
07-24-2006, 02:24 AM
well try feeding it through a little eyedropper, when it comes to water and such, i have no idea about food.
i did have a question for you though...you mentioned on your post, in the beginning, that your neighbors found the baby in your yard underneath your tree...a little while down the post, you said it was found lying on the side walk...so my question is...did you find it on a side walk or did you neighbors find it underneath a tree in your yard??

CagneyDog
07-24-2006, 02:52 AM
Sorry for the confusion. They found it underneath our spruce trees which are lining our properity. So yes, he was on the edge on the sidewalk.

It doesn't look like a mouse, right? I hate mice...I hope to god it's not one.

He's doing fine so far, I put the box on top of a heating pad (its on low, it's not too hot)

IRescue452
07-24-2006, 06:40 AM
SOme pet stores and vets sell milk replacement formula specifically for rabbits and squirrels and other small mammals. That's not a mouse.

CagneyDog
07-24-2006, 03:23 PM
I have more pictures
The more I see pictures of baby mice the more it looks like one.
Everyone who has seen it agrees that it kind of resembles tiny dog :p
I left a message at a rescue and I'm hoping to hear back. I gave it some kitten forumla too.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/CagneyDog/2262205b.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/CagneyDog/6b5df216.jpg

Are you positive it's a squirrel?It is a bit smaller than i described, the size of a pinkine without the nail, haha.

My Peanuts
07-24-2006, 03:30 PM
His tail doesn't look like a baby mouse. When I was younger my mice would have babies and the babies didn't look like this guy. Good Luck!

IRescue452
07-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Now that I see the tail, it does look too short. A squirrel and a mouse both should have a long skinny tail. It's arms look too big for a mole.

By the time a mouse is the size of a quarter- http://www.rodentrooms.com/BAR/images/gallery-new-born-baby-mouse.jpg

CagneyDog
07-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Yikes. So it's not a squirrel either 0_o Keep in mind that the tail is tucked under it in that picture. I'll get another one.
A rat? We don't have rats here though. But it kind of looks like a baby rat too?

IRescue452
07-24-2006, 03:45 PM
I didn't know his tail was tucked under, so I guess don't rule out squirrel then. Sorry, but rats are everywhere. I've never seen one in WI, but I hear people talk about wild rats around here. Mouse is ruled out at that size I guess. You'll just have to wait and see. I must say he does look like a teeny tiny chihuahua, but they are born with fur. Is there any other distinguishing feature? Does it have teeth? I can't tell in the picture, does it have fur colour starting to show or is it all pink?

elizabethann
07-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Poor little thing. I hope it pulls through. So nice of you to rescue it. Good luck and keep us posted.

CagneyDog
07-24-2006, 04:02 PM
So it's curled up. but it's stil kind of an indicator.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/CagneyDog/3697253a.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/CagneyDog/3012256c.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/CagneyDog/e384b997.jpg

finn's mom
07-24-2006, 04:06 PM
he's so tiny and cute. i have no idea!

jesse_3
07-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Well, if it is a rodent, feed it puppy or kitten milk replacement. I had a baby bat for a week (long story) and I fed him every 1 hour and 45 minutes.

A heating pad is not the best. It this baby finds the right spot, it could fry. Try placing hot water bottles under a towel around him. He will get close to those, and snuggle in.

Honestly, I think it is a squirrel. The size is right and everything. I can research tonight (right now..) for you, and try to find something, and figure out if it is a squirrel.

Honestly, a vet isn't the best place to bring it. At least from my experience. They told me that my bat would die that night, and that he would give everyone rabies. They refused to give me any information. Okay, yes they aren't the people I typically go to, but it was an emergency. I called my vets from another town, and they had no clue on what to do.

EDIT: The formula brand I would suggest using is Just Born, puppy formula is what I would go with

Good luck, keep us updated!
Steph

buttercup132
07-24-2006, 09:57 PM
:confused: It's head kind of looks like a dog.
But the rest of it. I have no clue!!!
Ummmm haha I think this has us all stumped.

Dorothy39
07-24-2006, 10:22 PM
I am positve that it is a squirrel. Please keep me posted on him!!! He is sooooooo tiny!!!!!! How is he coming along???

CagneyDog
07-24-2006, 10:46 PM
He's doing okay, I think. He's in a box with cotton balls, a towel, and a plastic glove with warmed up water (wrapped a towel) in it because the heating pad wasn't really going through the box. I fed some of the formula to it, it took two mouth fulls. I've been feeding it every 2-3 hours but usually it just eats the stuff that goes on it's lips cause it wont open it's mouth. It hasn't went to the bathroom yet though?

During the night, does it need to be fed that often. I'll feed it up until 2:30am when I usually go to sleep and I'll get up at 6:30 to feed again :p Is that alright ?

cmayer31
07-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Looks like a medium size rodent, not a mouse. Most pet stores carry a milk replacer. Just born, and Esbilac come to mind. I know some of the local stores carry little emergency kits that have a pack of powdered milk, bottle, spare nipples, and a cleaner.

The warm water bottles is the best idea for something that size.

Best of luck with him! Some wildlife rescues will take in and care for small babies.

Dorothy39
07-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Oh My goodnes, I have NEVER attended to a baby squirrel.

have you called any Wild Life Refuges in your area.

I would tend to think that if this tiny squirrel is taking in nuriousment, ( the formula that I read on previous posts) during the day, that it would be find though the night.

you are doing the best you can, and, your thread is intriguing the day lights out of me.

Hats off to you!!!! I will do some research on this situation you are in, as well as call a person I know from a Wild Life Refuge in my area.

Prayers for that little fella!!!!

jesse_3
07-24-2006, 11:15 PM
Cagneydog, you need to stimulate the bowls to go...rub, rub, rub! I found a website with some things that are good. A little discouraging on some parts, but read over those;) (If you'd like)
http://www.squirrelworld.com/ifounda.html

Good luck!!! I hope everything works out with the little guy! Keep us posted, and thanks for taking him/her in!
Steph

molucass
07-25-2006, 02:00 AM
I'm not too sure what it looks like. But I know that baby mice and rats will have a white milk band on their belly when they are full.

Have you seen this with the baby at all?

CagneyDog
07-25-2006, 02:04 AM
Nope. I haven't noticed that.

lv4dogs
07-25-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm not too sure what it looks like. But I know that baby mice and rats will have a white milk band on their belly when they are full.

Have you seen this with the baby at all?

If I remember correctly you should be able to see the see the full "milk belly" in all most all baby animals that are hairless.

If I remember correctly baby rats start getting hair when they are about that big so I doubt it is a rat, but I can't guarantee that. My guess would be a squirrel, opossum, mink, etc...

Do you mind if I copy & x-post the pics?

I would say that the baby needs more food than that. You will probably have to force feed him by gently pushing the oral syringe in his mouth but only give a TINY amount at a time, if you push too much into him it can go into his lungs, at that age & size it would be deadly. I think he also need to eat a little more frequently, like every 1-1.5 hours.
Also be sure to read the article on stimulation the bowels & kidneys.

buttercup132
07-25-2006, 08:21 AM
You have to make the baby pee. Get a warm wet paper towel and rub its genitle area until it pees after every feeding.

IRescue452
07-25-2006, 09:21 AM
Baby oppossums are born underdeveloped, since they are marsupials. You wouldn't have been able to recognize it as a baby anything if it was a possum. It was probably newborn when you found it because it was still alive. Let it lap up the milk that goes on its lips. I know with rabbits they can't really suck at the bottle, they lap up the milk as it comes out, so maybe its the same with this guy.

CagneyDog
07-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Do you mind if I copy & x-post the pics?
Sure :)

I've been stimulating it to pee but only a little drop came out last night and that was the first time. Perhaps it's just dehydrated though. I'm going to find one of the forumlas that was recommened here. This morning it didn't want to eat so I'm leaving it for any hour and going to try again. I'm not sure why the rescue isn't calling back but I'm going to try and contact them today as well. Thanks everyone.

k9krazee
07-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Instead of a milk replacer, I'd recommend a homemade formula if you can. It has more calories than the milk replacer, here's the recipe we used on Kyra when she was a baby.

10 oz of canned evaporated milk or goat's milk
3 oz. sterilized water (baby water or boiled water) this is not needed if using goat's milk
1 raw egg yolk
1 Tablespoon of regular mayonnaise (optional)
1 cup of whole plain yougurt (avoid skim or fat free)
1/2 tsp of corn syrup

Just an idea. Good luck!!

CagneyDog
07-25-2006, 10:38 AM
It pooped! Woo Hoo. :D haha.

I thought I read somewhere to not feed it your own mixture?

Ginger's Mom
07-25-2006, 10:42 AM
I haven't replied because I didn't really have anything constructive to offer. But, I have been following this thread closely, and I am very impressed with the efforts you are going through for that poor little unidentified animal. I hope everything works out well for him. Thanks for trying so hard. :)

lv4dogs
07-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Instead of a milk replacer, I'd recommend a homemade formula if you can. It has more calories than the milk replacer, here's the recipe we used on Kyra when she was a baby.

10 oz of canned evaporated milk or goat's milk
3 oz. sterilized water (baby water or boiled water) this is not needed if using goat's milk
1 raw egg yolk
1 Tablespoon of regular mayonnaise (optional)
1 cup of whole plain yougurt (avoid skim or fat free)
1/2 tsp of corn syrup

Just an idea. Good luck!!

I probably wouldn't add any corn syrup, especially seeing as you don't know the species. Anything sugary, especially for something so young & tiny can cause major problems in many of the animals in the mustalid family (ferrets, mink, etc...) I would also avoid mayo.

If you can get goats milk that would be great, you can feed just that alone. I wouldn't add anything else to it until he starts eating better, you want something thin (not may or raw egg, could cause choking problems).

lv4dogs
07-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Where do you live? Just so we can get an idea of what is common in that area.

lv4dogs
07-25-2006, 01:28 PM
This is from my friend Gina

Being a former wildlife rehaber this baby looks like a baby squirrel. Keep the baby warm. We used espilac. Start with a 3 to 1 mixture. 3 parts water to 1 part formula. Make sure she stimulates the baby to go potty. Otherwise it will get what is called bloats. This will kill the baby if it doesn't pea & poop

finn's mom
07-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Here's a good site, from what I can tell...

http://www.squirrel-rehab.org/

It totally looks like a squirrel to me, the more I look at baby squirrel photos.

lv4dogs
07-25-2006, 03:41 PM
This is a reply from someone who thinks it is an Opossum, even after I told her that
Baby oppossums are born underdeveloped, since they are marsupials. You wouldn't have been able to recognize it as a baby anything if it was a possum.

Actually, that's why I guessed opossum. Gina will remember this from something like 8 yrs ago. The babies just had big black eyeballs covered with a membrane. That very long tail is what made me think more opossum, than any other critter.

I'd put out a live trap in the yard when I thought one of my ferrets had gotten out. It hadn't. But 2 days later I remembered the set trap and found an opossum in it.

So, I lifted the trap to take it somewhere to release. When I did, I noticed on the ground about 5 little pinkies. I called Gina and she came up to the farm, with welder's mitts to handle the situation. She scruffed the lil momma while I opened her pouch to return the babies.

HOLEY ****!!!! The pouch was filled with a kazillion babies that looked just like this lil guy. Babies, yanno, they all look alike! lol

Yep, I named the momma, Nite Angel and within the week, I took her, and her pouch full of babies, down to the river and released her. That opossum is forever in my heart. She was not mean, but incredibly docile. She knew we were friends.

Keep in mind the Gina she is talking about is the Gina who replied earlier thinking that it is a baby squirrel. So who knows I guess. lol

CagneyDog
07-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Being a former wildlife rehaber this baby looks like a baby squirrel. Keep the baby warm. We used espilac. Start with a 3 to 1 mixture. 3 parts water to 1 part formula. Make sure she stimulates the baby to go potty. Otherwise it will get what is called bloats. This will kill the baby if it doesn't pea & poop

Thanks so much for the help everyone :)
I think it's a squirrel we have SO many around here. Is espilac meant for animals? Should I get it at a petstore?

Thanks for the site Kari, I'll check it out right now :)

cyber-sibes
07-25-2006, 05:35 PM
Any progress? this is really interesting, I'm impressed you've done so well with the baby so far. my first guess was possom, but it sounds like you are pretty sure it's a squirrel. Poor little thing, it can't even see wht's going on, but maybe that's better? Maybe it'll bond to you?

CagneyDog
07-26-2006, 12:28 AM
Earlier today I thought I was going to lose it. It was laying rather motionless in the box. I ran out and bought some Pedylite [sp?] and put the heating pad back underneath the box. It's doing just fine now, it's moving around (well squirming around) and I just fed it again. however, no matter how I rub, or tickle it, it still wont pee. I got a drop out yesterday :confused: but nothing else. What else can I do? Maybe I'm stimulating it wrong? Where exactly do I rub?

CagneyDog
07-26-2006, 03:12 AM
Okay, I was trying to hold off on a name for it because I know its chances of survival are so slim but I couldn't. It deserves a name, it's a fighter. So the little hairless animal is now named Dayo. I believe it means joy arrives, and that's exactly what happened. I love this thing :p I'm trying so hard not to get attached but how could you not love something that is tinier than your pinkie finger. Even though it may not make it, for my state of mind I need to know it died with the best possible care. I love this squirrel, and I am going to be so crushed if it passes away however, it’s life.

It pooped again tonight, I think it's doing pretty good.

Dorothy39
07-26-2006, 06:06 AM
I've never been more excited over squirrel poop in my life :D
I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of Dayo next to that tape measure. , Yes, I suppose you might say I adore his story and I'd feel very sad if he didn't survive. Okay, I'm attached to a tiny squirrel no bigger than a pinky finger that I saw on Pet Talk. ;)

Daisy and Delilah
07-26-2006, 07:02 AM
What a great thing you're doing Lindsey!! I'm so impressed!! Good luck little guy-I hope you make it!! :)

pitc9
07-26-2006, 07:11 AM
This is the first thread I check on in the morning. It's like an on going drama story that I can't get enough of!
You are doing a great job!
I'm sure it's terribly difficult not to get attached but like you said, all of the hard work and care you are giving this little one ..... How can you not!?

I'm sure you've looked at every website... but just thought I'd post one that I found. It has info on all kinds of wild babies.

http://www.squirrel-rehab.org/pictures/improperdiet.html

http://www.squirrel-rehab.org/

lv4dogs
07-26-2006, 08:52 AM
Is espilac meant for animals?

I think Esbilac & Espilac might both the same. i think just some people spell it wrong but it is possible that there is a product with both names. The only nbformation I can find is that they are both puppy milk replacement formulas. Esbilac is the name I can find on the actual packages so I know that is at least an atual product. It is found in pet stores, a milk replacer for puppies.

I have always used the kitten milk on my squirrels & they have all done fine. (I've never had one that young before though).

lute
07-26-2006, 12:42 PM
i'm so glad to hear that the little baby is doing well. i keep checking on the thread for any new updates. i can't wait to see more pics. :)

lv4dogs
07-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Should this be moved to pet general? We all know it is not a dog. lol

K9soul
07-26-2006, 03:15 PM
I hadn't posted but I've been checking this thread every day. Lindsey I just have to say too how touched and impressed I am with all your efforts for this little baby. There aren't very many who would have even tried. Major kudos to you and I hope the little guy/girl continues to do well.

Jadapit
07-26-2006, 03:25 PM
I have also been checking on this thread everyday. I'm so glad the baby is doing so well. I hope to hear an update soon on him/her. Did you ever figure out what he/she is? :)

Kfamr
07-26-2006, 03:59 PM
So, have you contacted local rehab or humane societies yet?
He/she has a lot better chance with them.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
07-26-2006, 04:25 PM
I have been checking this thread daily too. How is the little guy doing?

chrissycat21
07-26-2006, 04:43 PM
I don't know how I missed this thread!

How is the little guy doing? Please keep us updated! You've done a good job with him so far.

CagneyDog
07-26-2006, 05:47 PM
So, have you contacted local rehab or humane societies yet?
Yes, I've left messages with two of them. :)

It's doing good today, I've been feeding it Pedialyte every two hours. It snuggles with the warmed up water bottle (it's actually warm water in a plastic glove wrapped in a towel haha)...so cute. It makes little squeeking noises, and I got it to pee a *tiny* bit after two of the meals today. I think it's doing good :) I felt awful, I slept through me alarm clock today and woke up at 8 instead of 6. I freaked out, rushed downstairs but it was thankfully juts fine.

Thanks for all of the support !

Aspen and Misty
07-26-2006, 06:25 PM
If it is a squirrel… I was told many years ago by a rehabilitator when I found a baby that all squirrels are diabetic and without the proper amount of sugar they begin to seizure and eventually die. She told me that she uses Gatorade to keep there sugar up. However I’m not sure how much or how often. This is something you might want to look in to for the time being until a rehabilitator gets back to you.

Good Luck!

Ashley

BitsyNaceyDog
07-26-2006, 09:00 PM
If it is a squirrel… I was told many years ago by a rehabilitator when I found a baby that all squirrels are diabetic and without the proper amount of sugar they begin to seizure and eventually die. She told me that she uses Gatorade to keep there sugar up. However I’m not sure how much or how often. This is something you might want to look in to for the time being until a rehabilitator gets back to you.

Good Luck!

Ashley

I've raised a lot of squirrels and never had a problem with that. I usually raise mine on goats milk.

lv4dogs
07-27-2006, 11:09 AM

Good Luck!

Ashley

I have also raised a lot of squirrels and have never had a problem with that, in fact I have never even heard about it. Mine were all raised on kitten milk replacement.

Are you feeding it something other than pedialyte? If not are you sure that gives him enough nutrients?

king2005
07-27-2006, 02:16 PM
TT (http://www.turtletimes.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=40668)
This is the turtle site i belong to. Air cares for baby rodents, so you might want to talk to him. Air has 3 babies right now & they look just like yours. If there is no thumb then its not a opossom.

I know its not a rat, I have 30+ right now & thats not a rat lol

CagneyDog
07-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Are you feeding it something other than pedialyte? If not are you sure that gives him enough nutrients?

Yes, I got some forumla for it but I'm going to try and find esbilac today.

Bronx'sBower
07-27-2006, 09:34 PM
it is so amazing what you are doing, you don't have to but you choose to because your kind and thoughtful-why can't we have more people like you in the world?

Dorothy39
07-27-2006, 10:12 PM
So very true,Bronx"s bower!!!

I have to check up on" Dayo" often during the day. It is one of the most positive threads , among many on Pet Talk.

Cagneydog, You are so like "Clara Barton", :D I am looking forward to more pictures of Dayo. Hats off to you!!!!!!!!!

Dorothy39
07-28-2006, 08:36 PM
So very true,Bronx"s bower!!!

I have to check up on" Dayo" often during the day. It is one of the most positive threads , among many on Pet Talk.

Cagneydog, You are so like "Clara Barton", :D I am looking forward to more pictures of Dayo. Hats off to you!!!!!!!!!
How is that little squirrel doing????? I haven't noticed any up dates!!!! :eek:

CagneyDog
07-28-2006, 10:03 PM
He's still doing good. I realized last night that I was over heating it, the box was REALLY hot from the heating pad so I've stopped using it altogether. A rescue called back but I wasn't home so I've left ANOTHER message returning their call. :P

Dorothy39
07-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Thank-You SOOOOOOOOOOOO much for letting me know that Dayo is doing okay. I have to check on him every single day you know.

When you can, please give us some more pictures of him/her :confused: :p

You are doing such a wonderful job!!!!!!

Dorothy39
07-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Hi cagney dog, just me, your biggest fan again. I've told so many friends of mine about Dayo, but, they are not familier with this forum and can't find your thread. I've replied again so they can see it under dog general.

And, to be perfectly honest, I want to see another picture of Dayo myself ;)

I know you are busy being a mother squirrel these days, so, I will just sit and wait for his second debut!!!! My sister can't believe what you are doing . :eek:

chrissycat21
07-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Glad to hear the squirrel is still doing good! I'll keep checking this thread for updates. (And I would also like to see more pictures of the little guy if you get the chance!) ;)

CagneyDog
07-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll try and get some more pictures. It's hard bring the laptop to the garage (it's the warmest part of the house, if youre wondering why he's in there right now) and positioning it so the webcam get a decent pic :p

I got a hold of a rescue worker. She seems very, very nice and she personally is going to take care of Dayo. I will be getting weekly updates from her on his/her progress. She said that she was impressed with my efforts so far, so that made me pretty happy :D

Unfortunately, he hasnt pooped yet today and I'm hoping he does later tonight. So far i've only been able to get him to pee once or twice a day. I read that they are supposed to go after every meal so I guess that isnt too good. I stopped feeding the pedialyte as he should be fully hydrated from it.

Thanks for the all of the support. I'm getting pretty sleep deprived from getting up every 2-3 hours, but it's worth it :p I am relieved that he'll be in good hands.

Oh, and it seems that his eyes&and eye lid are getting more defined. So I guess he is growing a bit.

Dorothy39
07-30-2006, 08:54 PM
A round of applause for cagneydog here!!! now, the standing ovation!!!!!!!!!!!,

whistles!!!!! :o :o :o

Thank-You , Mother Squirrel, for scurring about , investigating, teaching , telling and updating.

I have so enjoyed your wonderful rescue story!!!!

lv4dogs
07-31-2006, 11:23 AM
A round of applause for cagneydog here!!! now, the standing ovation!!!!!!!!!!!,

whistles!!!!! :o :o :o

Thank-You , Mother Squirrel, for scurring about , investigating, teaching , telling and updating.

I have so enjoyed your wonderful rescue story!!!!

I second that. Any baby that young is extremely difficult to raise. KUDOS to you for doing such a wonderful job!!! I'll be on the lookout for new pics.

CagneyDog
07-31-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks everyone. He's gone now :) I donated all the materials and such I bought for it. Heating pad, pedialyte, forumla, etc. She was so nice and she gave me her email so we could keep in contact about Dayo. I'm going to ask if she can take pictures of his progress if she has a camera. She said that she was going to put him a bit of a smaller box because it will be better to contain the heat.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I feel pretty good about this, it took a lot of commitment. One of my friends pointed out to me today that not many peoplle would even bother picking it up, nevermind waking up every 2-3 hours, research squirrels, stimulating it to go to the bathroom etc.He was sure a cutie. I'll keep updating this thread as I get updates myself.

She did sound a bit concerned when I said that he would only pee once or twice a day...typically once. I hope everything is okay.

Thanks again :)

K9soul
07-31-2006, 10:47 PM
You are awesome Lindsey! GREAT job! I'm so thrilled to read your update :). This thread has been so uplifting. You should be very proud of yourself!

chrissycat21
08-01-2006, 08:42 AM
You definatley did a great job! Your friend was right, not many people would be as committed to helping Dayo as you were! :)

Dorothy39
08-01-2006, 12:04 PM
how far away is Dayo from you now? Are you feeling the empty nest syndrome? :rolleyes:

You are "one of a kind" cagneydog!!!!! I have been addicted to the Dayo thread ever since you posted it!!!

Please, Please, keep me connected!!!
I now bow, to the magnificient cagneydog!!!! The crowd cheers your accomplishment, a life was saved because of YOU!!!! Such dedication merits a reward!!!!! I hereby bestow upon you, a certifcate of valor!!!!

the crowd applauds your heroism!!!!! Bask, in your deserving glory!!!!!

Vela
08-01-2006, 12:47 PM
You did an awesome job. I checked this thread every day and was so happy to see him still alive. You should be very proud of yourself, that is so great. Can't wait for more updates!

Ginger's Mom
08-03-2006, 06:03 AM
I have been a little behind on Pet Talk, I am glad to hear that Dayo is in a rescue that is familiar with squirrels. Lindsay, you really did do a great job. As has already been said, not many people would have been so dedicated to caring for him. You should do something special for yourself to celebrate a job well done. :)

pitc9
08-14-2006, 01:19 PM
Any updates??

zoomer
08-14-2006, 01:46 PM
It sounds like you did such an excellent job! I'd love to hear an update :)

CagneyDog
08-14-2006, 08:18 PM
I sent an email to her today and I'll let you know when I have a reply back :)

Last Thursday my neighbour said he found another baby squirrel (this one double the size..still no hair though) on the sidewalk in front of the house again. There must be a nest in our trees but I can't see one. This baby was already dead. :(

Dorothy39
08-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Thank-you cagneyDog, for keeping us fully up-dated on Dayo!!!

I want to know how that little guy is!!!!