PDA

View Full Version : 2 deaths in 12 hrs

lute
07-23-2006, 11:28 AM
i got home yesterday and one of my platys were dead. :( i took her out and was getting ready to change the water when i got a call and had to leave. when i got back my mollie was dead! :eek: :(

i put the other 3 living fish(1platy & 2 guppies) in a different tank. what could have made this happen? they were all just fine the day before.

Roxyluvsme13
07-23-2006, 11:41 AM
It could have been a parasite, or any other contagious fish disease.. I recommend you sanitize the tank the 2 died in reaaaaalllyy well.

Chilli
07-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Maybe a PH spike or something such as that. I'm not too certain, though.

Curiousdish
07-23-2006, 03:06 PM
When the temperature of the water changes suddenly you can get a parasitic disease in your tank........or......if you bring the fish home from a store..........sometimes their tanks can look clean if they just changed the water recently but the disease can harbour in their shared tank filter systems.

Did the fish have swollen abdomens? or any white cloudy spots on it? any reddening of the inside of the gills?
Christine

Miss Z
07-23-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't really know why they would have died, I'm no expert with fish, but I'm so sorry you lost them :(

IRescue452
07-23-2006, 06:20 PM
Do you test your water? It could have been a ph or nitrate swing.

lute
07-23-2006, 07:24 PM
IRescue452, no i don't test their water. i'm not sure how. :confused:

Curiousdish, they were both floating in the bottom of the tank and has a fluffy white film on them.

i have changed the water and disenfected everything. i think i'm gonna do it for all my tanks.

IRescue452
07-23-2006, 09:14 PM
You really shouldn't change the water and disinfect everything, it messes up the cycle and does more harm than good. What you should do is buy a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph. No testing strips, only liquid test tube kits. Here's a good article about the water cycle, its not long and I think its very important to read through. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

lute
07-23-2006, 09:59 PM
thanks! i'll read it now.

king2005
07-23-2006, 11:41 PM
When I had my smaller tetra type fish I used "Quick Cure, Ick & other protozoan Parasites, mild fluks outbreaks, costia, chilodonell, trichondina" once a week. I found that my fish never got ill & lived several years.. Their usual death was the floor, but almost never all of a sudden.

I use it for Mango once a week. He has something I cannot cure, but I find this stuff helps it from getting worse & from showing its true nasty colours.

also use it before & after I move fish (as in moving my home aswell). None of my guys became ill & seemed ok, as they ate after moving 500km (6hrs in a bag).

The bottle cost about 10.00 & I've had it for nearly 4yrs & its just past 1/2.

Jack is 5yrs old & VERY healthy & mango is 4yrs old & as healthy as he can be (his illness is mostly looks)

My Peanuts
07-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Were the fish new? Was the tank new? Could be they were killed by ammonia.

I’m sorry for your loss.

lute
07-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Were the fish new? Was the tank new? Could be they were killed by ammonia.

I’m sorry for your loss.

the only new fish was the mollie. i bought him because he was sick. i got him some meds and when he seemed to be good as new i added him to my tank with the platys and guppies. about 4 days later the two fish died. the tank isn't really new. i've had it for about 2 months.

is it dangerous to put multiple suppliments in the water?

My Peanuts
07-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Tanks need good bacteria to eat up the ammonia that the fish give off in their droppings. Good bacteria grows naturally over time with 25% water changes to the tank. The water changes insure that there isn’t too much ammonia. Adding a new fish to an uncycled tank means more ammonia. High levels of ammonia will kill fish rapidly. It’s very complicated, but that’s the basic idea of cycling. Like if someone gets a brand new tank and new fish as a gift. There are new fish and no good bacteria. A lot of the time their fish end up dying.

Sorry if I'm stating something you know already. I know a lot of people do, but it’s important to know. :)

Zippy
07-25-2006, 01:48 PM
i am so sorry about your fish.Happy all your others are happy and healthy