PDA

View Full Version : New here... I just adopted

catlover65
07-22-2006, 11:26 PM
a neutered and declawed cat two months ago.

His behavior is fine, until he bites me. :confused:
It's not like it's vicious... Like for instance tonight, I was walking by my daughter's crib (she's 3), he was balancing on top of it and I went to go to the closet to find my daughter a dress for church tomorrow, and he reaches out and bites me. This isn't the first time. He's left bruises on my leg, and arm from bites.

Any idea why he's doing this?

I play with him all of the time.

Catty1
07-22-2006, 11:35 PM
Do you know anything about his background? Was he always having to defend himself?

He may think he is playing...how to train him out of that I don't know.

If you haven't had him for long, you may want to talk to your vet about Feliway or kennel drops. Feliway is a pheromone spray that calms cats.

Catty1

AmberEyes
07-31-2006, 04:47 PM
I read once that you should never play with cats with your hands or feet, or else they will attack you anytime they feel frisky. A good way to break your cat out of the habit, I think, would be to avoid using yourself as a cat toy and buy a peice of yarn or a mouse toy.
Also, if the nipping is not caused by this, you could use a small spray bottle, as water is the only punishment cats really understand.

Freedom
08-09-2006, 08:00 AM
He can be trained out of this. A toy and a spray water bottle should do the trick. I wouldn't suggest a piece of yarn; cats end up eating that and then you have vet bills for internal problems. You may need to keep the water bottle on your waist band for a day or two, use it any time he nips or bites. If he is young, this is how they play with each other, and he doesn't know any difference. Cats make toys out of lots of things - a straw, a small super bounce ball, and of course all those toys at the store. During play time, keep the water bottle handy and stop him as soon as he bites. A loud "NO!" Then resume play. In a few days, you will be enjoying each other's company.

moosmom
08-09-2006, 08:30 AM
It's true that you shouldn't play with a cat with your hands. Does your kitty break the skin or is it just "love" bites? A declawed cat resorts to biting because he doesn't have claws to defend himself.

Another solution is a soda can filled with pennies. Shake it everytime he bites and say NO!! very forcefully.

kb2yjx
08-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Moosmom is correct when she spoke of a declawed cat biting. I adopted 2 cats that were already adopted and we declawed. They were biters. THey bit just like your fellow. But the good thing is that he is with you!!! Maybe you can ask the shelter if they have any information on the cat's past which might give you a clue to why he is doing this. GOOD LUCK!!

sanford8916
08-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Our female cat would bite my whole family for no reason! She would even go up to the dog and bite him for no reason too! When she was 18 months we got a kitten. I think Belle was just bored and needed someone to play with, she hasn't biten the family or even the dog since we got Cuddles a year ago. They play together all the time and Belle is alot more loving to us now too! Maybe your kitty needs a friend! :)